How did it work out downsizing to smaller? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are highly tempted to trade in our Hymer and get a much smaller van - probably high-end campervan size -for ease of driving on small roads and being niftier. We do spend months at a time away touring.
I wonder if anyone did this and regretted selling the bigger one? Or not?
We are currently doing the wild Atlantic way in Ireland and although we have managed so far I know there are sections coming up (Dingle Connor pass) that we will have to forego.
In Sicily earlier this year we ended up renting a car as our 24 foot Hymer was simply too wide for the twisty narrow roads we wanted to explore.
Any thoughts on this?

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I think you might miss the space you have in the Hymer. Mine is 6.5 metres, son bought a 7.4 metre Dethleffs which has the original Fiat cab and is always saying that he wished he had as much space in what is a much longer vehicle. We have the advantage of the pull down bed which means we can enjoy space without too much length.

Would it be an idea to hire a smaller one for a few days to see how you feel about it?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We are highly tempted to trade in our Hymer and get a much smaller van - probably high-end campervan size -for ease of driving on small roads and being niftier. We do spend months at a time away touring.
I wonder if anyone did this and regretted selling the bigger one? Or not?
We are currently doing the wild Atlantic way in Ireland and although we have managed so far I know there are sections coming up (Dingle Connor pass) that we will have to forego.
In Sicily earlier this year we ended up renting a car as our 24 foot Hymer was simply too wide for the twisty narrow roads we wanted to explore.
Any thoughts on this?
Speak to @Theonlysue or @Mickx ... both tried it recently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I sold my 12 metre quad slide Yankee and downsized to a no slide 9 metre European, takes some getting used to but most things in life are a compromise.:LOL:

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You miss the space, you'll have to shorten down on your stuff, become schooner rigged as far as the stuff you take with you, 2 chairs, 1 table, 1 set of levelers, become VERY TIDY! Stuff you have in your van "just in case" got to go.
You'll have to be more practical in the stuff you have in your present Van. We sold out 4 berth (with fixed bed).
Bought a 25 year old two berth, love it so far, some might find it Caustriphobic, We don't

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Speak to @Theonlysue or @Mickx ... both tried it recently.
Considering we are all different; but our downsize was a disaster.

Key challenges for us were bathroom, making the bed each night and space in the kitchen area.

As before, I appreciate all of us have different lifestyles and wants; however, for us it didn't work.

Good luck with what you choose......

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
No problem for us, fixed bed across the back with good storage below it, underslung gas tank and all the same kit that we had in the larger motor homes that we have had. We also spend 6 months in Spain in Winter but when there we do use an awning.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We went from circa 5.9m coach built to 6.8m A class and don't regret it. The drivers for us (me) were mainly washroom/shower space and room to accommodate both the 2 of us and our 3 dogs, to avoid putting them in kennels as often. Making the bed up wasn't that big of an issue, but having got used to drop down cab bed, not sure we would go back to it. But as has been said, needs/wants differ so there is no one size fits all.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We went from a seven metre coach built to a 6.35 metre PVC. We tour around six months of the year and whilst we struggle a bit with lack of storage get on really well.

The smaller van is so much road friendly in the Spanish mountains.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I think taking less stuff wont bother us.
We would miss fixed bed but might feel it was worth it.. we'd have to to have portable toilet too or have enclosed awning with it in.
Yes we will certainly hire and try first.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Came down from an A class Itineo to a 6 metre panel van. Love it, so much easier. Only real miss is the big shower A class, had but how long do you spend in shower?
Did 4 months in Spain in it last winter brilliant!
BTW ours is Font Vendome Leader Camp and has a fixed bed!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We downsized from a 29' twin slide RV to a Hymer B544 with no regrets , the Hymer as @Xabia posted has lots of space , room to seat eight.
Any less chilling space on cold wet days would for us be claustrophobic .

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
So many people down size from wide vans 2.35m wide to a panel van at 2.05m wide.
We had a panel van and up sized to a narrow low profile 2.18 m van .It is so much bigger inside as with a panel van you lose alot of internal space due to the metal structure.Our panel van was 6.5 m long including the bike rack and we are now 6.7 long and the bikes are safely locked in the garage.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We downsized in width only. Previously had a couple of coachbuilts @ 2.3m wide. Now have 6.4m pvc that is only 2.05m wide, ie. a whole foot narrower. It may not sound a lot but it makes driving and parking so much easier.

Ours (Rapido V68) has super large comfy fixed twin beds and a 135 litre 3-way fridge-freezer. Bathroom size is much smaller than last van with no separate shower. And small wardrobe. But otherwise storage is pretty good.

It's certainly the best van we've ever had and works really well for us. Love the big sliding door to bring the outside-in. The large barn doors at the back are handy too - great to fling open on a hot day and really let the breeze come through.

We find the pvc much more sure footed at speed on the motorway than the coachbuilts - travel faster as well ( think 'white van man').

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yes we'd be looking for a reduction in width definitely. Where's the best place to find to see a range of pvc' s? I think this might be what we want. Also anywhere we can hire out or try before buying?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes we'd be looking for a reduction in width definitely. Where's the best place to find to see a range of pvc' s? I think this might be what we want. Also anywhere we can hire out or try before buying?
If you want to come to Devon, Marquis at Lee Mill always have a lot of PVC's and a few hundred yards away are Murvi with a very different design to most of the mass produced vans.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
We downsized from an A Class to a PVC. We wanted something, not necessarily shorter, but definitely thinner. We went for an IH PVC which was a brilliant van, very well made, but the size just didn't work for us. We also found the PVC very very drafty, great in the summer but just not practical for us in the winter. So we've now changed back to a full size auto-sleeper.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
What did you downsize from and to Ralph and Bev?

We had a 2006 6/7 birth CI Mizar GTL living. When we had the 3 kids and 2 dogs. Big Luton with a king size bed . L shape lounge which converted to a double and a small kids bench bed , bunk beds along the side near kitchen area , then a big bathroom across the back with a separate full size shower .
We downsized to a pvc . It's not that much smaller in length as it's an xlwb but it's narrower and not as tall . Because Ralph built Pug , ( Peugeot) it's done to our own requirements. It's modeled on a IH rear lounge .
All the water waste and gas is under slung so we've nothing in the cupboards apart from things we want in there . Plenty storage . In fact lots more than the big one .
Pug is a lot easier to drive on all the roads , let alone the little out of the way windy tracks . Easier to park .
Built with all the mod cons and up to date equipment. We never need hook up . Ralph did a build thread on here when he converted it .
It's also got better insulation than anything on the market and no drafts from anywhere .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you considered a narrow A class such as Hymer Exsis or Dynamic Line, not much wider than a PVC (2.22m) with all the advantages of a coachbuilt. We find width is more criticle than length when it comes to tight spaces. Current van is 7.5m x 2.22 not had a problem so far.
An interesting PVC worth a look is the Font Vendome Mondea, it has a dropdown bed at the front, big kitchen, big washroom across the back a bit like a small A class.

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've recently downsized massively from a 6.16m coachbuilt to a 6m PVC :whistle:.
So not much difference in interior space - the layout I have isn't really relevant because these days you can have pretty much whatever you choose, certainly very similar to a coachbuilt.
My point, when I eventually get to it :rolleyes:, is;
I was amazed at how much more a relaxing drive it was with a little bit narrower van with virtually no overhang (y). If circumstances dictated, I'd certainly not have a problem using it as my only vehicle.
Have a look at the WildAx layouts - they also do van hire, which would give you a trial run even if you eventually bought elsewhere.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Our Hymer exsis-i 562 A class is only 2.17 wide. We had to downsize due to loss of C1. We chose the exsis for it's payload, but definitely notice the reduced width on minor roads. We do find it a bit cramped, but you can't have everything.

Malcolm

Ps Ours is a 2012 Ford based

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Having downsized twice now, due to changing circumstances, from 8.67m down to 7.71m and currently 6.64m, I carry far less than I used to.

Most of that was dropping from a family of four, to me and my wife, to me solo and I can say without doubt that although the current van is far more convenient for parking and negotiating tighter driving situations, I do not know how couples manage with the storage.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A lot will depend on what type of layout you want in a PVC, there's a lot of choice but some have pitiful storage and others have loads!

We downsized 5 years ago from a 6m coachbuilt at 2.3m wide to a 6m van conversion but only 2.05m wide with a virtually identical layout: half-dinette, kitchen and wash room in the centre opposite each other and fixed transverse bed. It was amazing how much more relaxing it was when travelling and although it was narrower inside we soon got used to not trying to both pass in the corridor at the same time! We changed 2 years ago to a 6.36m PVC which has virtually the same layout (mirror image) but with an 'L' shaped lounge instead of a half-dinette - we have loads of storage and can't say we've missed anything from the wider/taller coachbuilt we had ... it's nice to see how lovely coachbuilts and a-class MHs are sometimes but we bought our PVCs to be able to go to the places we want to visit on holiday as the main point is to see stuff ... if I wanted a luxurious home from home I might as well just stay in one on my drive!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I do not know how couples manage with the storage.
A lot depends on the layout of the PVC ... we manage fine - us 2 plus 3 dogs (well 2 little ones and a heffalump!), plus our folding bikes, 2 inflatable canoes plus loads of other stuff.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I adore smaller vans but to be truthful to small is not conducive with full timing or spending extended periods in your van, having said I vent up from a California pop top to a van conversion and deciding on reverting back soon to the pop top. However, I think the right van conversion would provide all your needs for a reasonable price. Good luck...

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Anyone looking to downsize , I'm looking to upsize from my rollerteam 695 island bed layout. Looking to do a deal plus cash for a bigger motorhome. Maybe burstner elegance or similar

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We downsized from a 7.5M coachbuilt to a 6.36 PVC, we love the PVC and wouldn't have an issues spending months n it in warm weather. think if i was full timing in winter a bigger van might be better as you will need more stuff and spend more time in doors. We've had ours about 18 months and very happy so far as it suits our current needs of long weekends and 2 week holidays.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We downsized from a Bessacarr E795 to a Vantage Cub and it was a step too far so we upsized to the Autocruise Rhythm. The issue with the Cub was that there was no walk through from the Cab to the back as the fridge/hob was behind the cab seats. The Rhythm came with an underslung gas tank so the Gas Locker is used for extra storage and it has a large top box for the outside chairs etc. We love it because we often go out for the day when we are not stopping away and we dont have to plan so much around where we are going to park. The outside in feel with the sliding door and rear doors open is something we didnt realise we would appreciate as much as we do.

Attachments

• 2016 08 Vantage Cub.jpg
    2016 08 Vantage Cub.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20170330_161702.jpg
    20170330_161702.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 25

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!