How Carados and Sunlights are made (Coachbuilts and A Class) (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I noticed that and thought what a plonker.
I do wish people who put up informative videos would check their facts.
I don't know who started the rumour about marine ply. Just to confirm. There is no marine ply. One poster said it looked like marine ply but now we know it isn't.

The floor is clearly a GRP composite. I looked this morning. Probably made in the hymer factory and transferred over the Dresden.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't know who started the rumour about marine ply. Just to confirm. There is no marine ply. One poster said it looked like marine ply but now we know it isn't.

The floor is clearly a GRP composite. I looked this morning. Probably made in the hymer factory and transferred over the Dresden.
The guy doing the video that you posted said the garage floor was Marine ply I believe, OK it's not (y)

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Wood is the new GRP. (y)

New wood based vans use injection treated ply that is resistant to rot for the life of the van. Just look at today's fence posts. They last for ever. Rot has always been it's weakness so if that can be sorted then it's the best material by far. It's even environmentally friendly.....well to a point if you ignore the preservatives.....in that fossel fuels not needed unlike GRP.

It doesn't squeak as much and doesn't expand and contract as much. It's light and strong and has natural insulating properties.

It's still widely used in yacht building although often fibreglass coated.

And most of all it's great for screwing stuff into.
Epoxy coated plywood, not fibre glass, which is layers of glass mating bonded together with epoxy. But your point is well made. Epoxy coating on a plywood boat hull allows it to live in the water without rotting and lasts indefinitely if maintained.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have not watched the video yet but all the vans I have seen being built just use a few screws to hold the cupboards etc to the walls, I have certainly never seen any bonded. Some manufacturers build the box and then build the inside while others lay down the floor and build the interior before putting the walls and roof on,
Yes things change over time, in our Concorde brochure it says we build the structure first and then put the inside in, saying you wouldn’t build a kitchen first then build the house.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We did an Autotrail factory tour in 2013 or 14, not sure which of those years it was, and they were doing it like that then.
The only thing missing was the moving floor. They were moved manually. Even the sides and internals were built up using similar methods.
So maybe not quite the most modern factory after all.:wink:

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
This video at N&B is also similar, but much more watchable than the first post one. I'm sure I saw a Hymer one from ten years ago that also built them inside first.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We did an Autotrail factory tour in 2013 or 14, not sure which of those years it was, and they were doing it like that then.
The only thing missing was the moving floor. They were moved manually. Even the sides and internals were built up using similar methods.
So maybe not quite the most modern factory after all.:wink:
Ha Ha. Good point. Maybe it should say newest motorhome factory. Most modern, maybe but that's subjective of course....

"Probably" as carlsberg say

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Why does he have to shout?
Shouting? Ever been in a workshop with multiple users doing all sorts with machines, etc. perhaps he was commentating as it was filmed and was raise his voice above the racket. As a retired CDT teacher I had to learn to do it above 20 individuals, sawing, hammering, turning, welding, forging, etc

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Shouting? Ever been in a workshop with multiple users doing all sorts with machines, etc. perhaps he was commentating as it was filmed and was raise his voice above the racket. As a retired CDT teacher I had to learn to do it above 20 individuals, sawing, hammering, turning, welding, forging, etc
Fair comment but as he is mic’ed up I would have thought he still would not need to shout.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have to watch his videos with the sound off, his voice to me is like fingernails on a blackboard to others.
I don’t know why but as soon as I saw him I also thought sound off would be best🙂

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I don’t know why but as soon as I saw him I also thought sound off would be best🙂
Poor fella. Hope he doesn't read this forum. I thought he was ok, probably couldn't hear himself speak. I mean with all that ply, l mean composite GRP, being cut. (y)

JM53

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2009
I'd like to watch this video, but I can't find the link. Can anyone please provide it. Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back