how can you tell if shock absorbers need replaced? (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Just been reading the post about unnecessary work being done on a van and it got me thinking - we were told at our MOT that one shock absorber was about to go and the other would need replaced soon. We had earmarked getting this work done in January ready for Easter and summer hols but now a bit concerned. It has not been that easy finding a company in the first place who could do work on the van in the Gatwick area (van in storage) and the company we use for our car is nowhere near and doesn't have the facilities for a van so we were just trusting what they said. We are fairly new to motorhoming and there doesn't appear to be any obvious sign of the shock absorbers going (no veering when braking, vibration through steering wheel though it is not the smoothest ride. That said, the van is 2002 with 72,000 miles so perhaps it is best to just get them replaced?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
How the hell does someone know a shock is "about to go"

You can check shocks by putting a load onto each one by putting weight on it and seeing if the vehicle bounces, if it does the shocks knackered.
Have a look to see if oil has been leaking as well.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If its bouncing like a pogo stick they need changing.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Shock absorbers are there to arrest the bounce, if you push hard down on the corner and it pops up and down repeatedly then the shock is faulty, if it just goes up down then stops the shock is working. Impossible to do this test on a Motorhome so do it when driving, hit a bump and see what it does. The other is visual, is it leaking oil?
With the mileage and age quoted I'd get a new pair.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Shock absorbers are there to arrest the bounce, if you push hard down on the corner and it pops up and down repeatedly then the shock is faulty, if it just goes up down then stops the shock is working. Impossible to do this test on a Motorhome so do it when driving, hit a bump and see what it does. The other is visual, is it leaking oil?
With the mileage and age quoted I get a new pair.
Push down hard? Not easy in a 3.5 ton van at the front and impossible at the rear.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I wouldn't change anything that wasn't leaking. The "absorber" system is forcing oil through very small holes inside the tube. The heavier the "shock" the harder it tries, the "shock" is "absorbed".

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I wouldn't change anything that wasn't leaking. The "absorber" system is forcing oil through very small holes inside the tube. The heavier the "shock" the harder it tries, the "shock" is "absorbed".
My last Fiat Ducato based motorhome had a seized rear shock absorber for around 3 years before a local garage located it. No oil leaking.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
trolley jack jack up then drop fast if it bounces there knackered look and see if thare is any sign of oil leaking'
72k mls its a commercial based vehicle doubt thay would nead changing unless it had a hard life
it a motorhome usually don't get to hard a life
bill

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Get under the van with a good lamp

1/ check for obvious leaks
2/ check for excessive corrosion.
3/ check for uneven tyre wear
4/ check where the unit bolts to the van for excessive play

If all looks well take it for a free check to Kwick fit or Budget or an other exhaust/ suspension place.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Get under the van with a good lamp

1/ check for obvious leaks
2/ check for excessive corrosion.
3/ check for uneven tyre wear
4/ check where the unit bolts to the van for excessive play

If all looks well take it for a free check to Kwick fit or Budget or an other exhaust/ suspension place.
What he said! :D

I've never had anyone (reputable) say that a shocker is about to fail, only that they have failed! I think I'm right in saying that the shock absorbers in the Ducato are oil filled, therefore, you'll likely see leaking oil if they are failing.

Of course there is a do or die way of testing, drive on a very uneven road at speed. If the suspension hits the bump stops, then the shock is faulty, believe me you'll know if that happens! :D

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Mine had a sheen of oil down it. Not immediately visible but when you pulled your finger down it you knew.

Always replace in pairs.

There was a small but noticeable improvement in the ride especially on bends on country lanes.

If in doubt, pop to another garage and ask them to have a quick look, don't tell them the other garage said they need replacing just that you want them looking at. They will let you know.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shysters.....
Unless it's leaking there's no way it will fail an MOT and even less way of knowing its 'going' to fail.
The tester USED to push down on a car bonnet and boot to test for rebound, they aren't even allowed to do that any more.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
It's not a difficult job to do any mobile mechanic should be able to do it for you at your place but as previous post either leaking broken or ok

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Unless there’s an obvious oil leak, excessive corrosion, the only sure way is to remove one end of the shock and check its operation. A shock can fail without evidence of oil leak.
As been said, a sychic tester :xsmile:

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
We are going down to motorhome this week to give it a run. We haven't noticed any oil leak and it seems to go over bumpy roads ok. I will get my OH to go under and see if he can see anything and perhaps try kwikfit. Thanks for the help.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
We are going down to motorhome this week to give it a run. We haven't noticed any oil leak and it seems to go over bumpy roads ok. I will get my OH to go under and see if he can see anything and perhaps try kwikfit. Thanks for the help.
If you do take it to Kwik-fit to have it checked, ask them if they can check your EXHAUST SYSTEM.
If they don't mention the shock absorber then your fine.:xThumb:

Ps. You will then need a whole new exhaust......lol:xrofl:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
You will see a show of oil around the seal, before it becomes a proper leak, there is an amount of time before the show becomes a weep, and a weep becomes a proper leak.. once they leak it will be become dangerous in no time.

I would say your MOT tester has given you good advice, advisories are just that, it isnt bad enough to fail the test , but if it was worse , it might be.

Also these are the kinds of things that are not helped by not being in daily use, i would say yours are of an age to need doing , without it being unusual.. the hard part is swapping the springs over . Thats why you pay the proper money to get it done.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
If you do take it to Kwik-fit to have it checked, ask them if they can check your EXHAUST SYSTEM.
If they don't mention the shock absorber then your fine.:xThumb:

Ps. You will then need a whole new exhaust......lol:xrofl:
And brake pads & discs , wipers, tyres , and :xcool::xgrin:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Don't just rely on leaking for a shock absorber to be weak.
The vw t4 is one example where the shock absorber can be knackered but no sign of leaking they just tend to lose their bounce.
But a second opinion is probably wise just choose who you get that from wisely I'd avoid most of the outlets like Kwik fit etc as they love to try and sell things you don't need

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If it drives ok I would just leave it to the next mot unless signs of leaking

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
If it drives ok I would just leave it to the next mot unless signs of leaking
if it was a daily drive, i'd do the same, my daily van is deffo a 'fix when required' job, but the last 3 times i have been off the drive with the MH , we have done 700+ miles. They were going to do it anyway , stuff like that plays on your mind when you are a long way from home. Do it at your convenience, dont turn it into an emergency.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just been reading the post about unnecessary work being done on a van and it got me thinking - we were told at our MOT that one shock absorber was about to go and the other would need replaced soon

I would say your MOT tester has given you good advice, advisories are just that, it isnt bad enough to fail the test , but if it was worse , it might be.

Im not so sure, looks to me the tester has a crystal ball.
Can I have his number to ask for next weeks lottery numbers :whistle::)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Im not so sure, looks to me the tester has a crystal ball.
Can I have his number to ask for next weeks lottery numbers :whistle::)
I think he sounds like a kwik fit fitter on shock absorber month

I had a friend once who was a kwik fit manager .....they had targets to reach every month.

Can't possibly be a coincidence that all the people in January needed brake pads , February batteries, March tyres etc etc

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
My rear shocks (trailing arm system) Fiat Ducato ... looked very rusty so decided to change both before Spain earlier this year . My mobile bloke did the job . All done & peace of mind ....
Seriously considering changing to heavy duty springs up front to lessen the 'nose down' angle ..... 3 litre engine ... heavy lump. ..

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I think he sounds like a kwik fit fitter on shock absorber month

I had a friend once who was a kwik fit manager .....they had targets to reach every month.

Can't possibly be a coincidence that all the people in January needed brake pads , February batteries, March tyres etc etc

I have no issue with advisory on a shocker if its weeping or shows signs of not working.
But to say the other one will need replacing soon requires a crystal ball :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back