How can I turn my battery charger off? (1 Viewer)

Buffy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
I've just added a 165w PV panel to the roof of my 2011 Elddis Autoquest, which is keeping the battery topped up nicely, which in turn runs a 1500w inverter to provide mains power as if I was connected to EHU. When I do connect to EHU the inverter is turned off, of course. My dilemma, is that the Charge Controller tops up the battery, so I don't need the built in charger to be charging as well - I'm not even sure that it's a good idea to have two methods of charging running together - Any ideas?
The other issue is that I cannot find a way to turn off the built in charger, If I isolate it at the consumer unit, I also knock out the fridge, which I want the inverter to power. I can't even find a fuse to remove to stop it working. I've run out of ideas how to disable it and I can't find any similar forum threads. All ideas gratefully received.....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are you sure there isn't a switch, usually a rocker switch, somewhere on the charger....unusual if there isn't.

If not it's easy enough to fit a switch in the supply line but would need turning on when on hook up.

No problem at all having two separate charge supplies except of course your inverter is charging the battery via the charger which isn't good....inverter is taking more out of the battery running the charger than the charger can supply.

Also, when on inverter run the fridge on gas.

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I've just added a 165w PV panel to the roof of my 2011 Elddis Autoquest, which is keeping the battery topped up nicely, which in turn runs a 1500w inverter to provide mains power as if I was connected to EHU. When I do connect to EHU the inverter is turned off, of course. My dilemma, is that the Charge Controller tops up the battery, so I don't need the built in charger to be charging as well - I'm not even sure that it's a good idea to have two methods of charging running together - Any ideas?
The other issue is that I cannot find a way to turn off the built in charger, If I isolate it at the consumer unit, I also knock out the fridge, which I want the inverter to power. I can't even find a fuse to remove to stop it working. I've run out of ideas how to disable it and I can't find any similar forum threads. All ideas gratefully received.....
What van do you have, or more helpfully, what control unit do you have? I imagine a Sargent, but the model number will help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Buffy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
PappaJohn - I'm pretty clued up on electrics and have to agree that it's unusual not to have a separate switch, on this occasion there isn't one. You mention running the fridge on gas when using the inverter, why is that? If I run the fridge on gas it eliminates all my problems, but was one of the reasons for adding the PV - apart from 'er indoors missing Corrie!

Daniel, no markings on the unit to give it away, it's a 2011 Elddis Autoquest 130.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Daniel, no markings on the unit to give it away, it's a 2011 Elddis Autoquest 130.
Take a photo of it and post, by control unit, I am referring to the unit that will be in a cupboard somewhere. It has all the RCD's and fuses in it, and not the panel over the door.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My system has both mains charger and EHU charger running at the same time as do almost every other MH I think. It isn't a problem.

But running your fridge from the inverter is a non-starter I think. It will take more power than you will get from your panel but check the wattage first if you want but remember you won't get anything from your panel at night and precious little in the morning and evening. If you want to run a fridge off solar and batteries you need a compressor type. From memory a typical three way fridge will take around 150W or a bit more. You won't get this from your 165W panel except if you are really lucky for a few hours a day when parked somewhere well south.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
the fridge could well be pulling 10amps and 12v day and night. It wont take to long to end up with a flat battery. so unless you have lots of battery use gas

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My system has both a solar charger and EHU charger running at the same time as do almost every other MH I think. It isn't a problem.

But running your fridge from the inverter is a non-starter I think. It will take more power than you will get from your panel but check the wattage first if you want but remember you won't get anything from your panel at night and precious little in the morning and evening. If you want to run a fridge off solar and batteries you need a compressor type. From memory a typical three way fridge will take around 150W or a bit more. You won't get this from your 165W panel except if you are really lucky for a few hours a day when parked somewhere well south.
Just correcting my idiot mistake!

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
I've run out of ideas how to disable it and I can't find any similar forum threads. All ideas gratefully received.....

Ive had a 2012 Autoquest 100 and now have a 2013 Autoquest 115. Been fitting batteries and solar panels and wanted to turn off the charger but I couldn't work out how to do it - the mains panel/fuses seem to turn of everything apart from the charger....

OP
OP
B

Buffy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Ah, see what you mean. We're off to the south of France for August so the Fridge was going to be run during the day, gas by night. I'm hoping for a lot of sun!
This is the unit:
box.JPG

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I am not familiar with that unit, but I would suggest that judging by the left hand switch, your charger is already off!

OP
OP
B

Buffy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
I've just turned the charger off, it'll be back on soon as we head off somewhere.

DBK - is your Charge Controller supplying a charge to the battery AND your mains charger? I take it you've not had any problems. My charge controller will cut out at 13.8 battery volts.

RichardB - Thanks for the comment, Looks like it's an AutoQuest thing! I may just see what happens when that cover comes off.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back