Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi guys i am thinking of building a small laundry in a trailer for use by us at our convenience instead of having to load the car and sit for a couple of hours in a launderette.

i have a domestic washing machine and a drier available for minimal outlay ( take them or they're going to the tip as we got new ones ) sketch.

i also have a 8ft x 5ft trailer that i am thinking of boarding and making a box trailer out of it.

the question is will a 6Kva genny be big enough???

obviously i am going to build this into a separate compartment in the trailer to silence it to keep the neighbours happy although it will in reality only be used for around an hour at a time.

so what do you think ???

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
why not measure how much current the laundry will take and downsize the genny, it will be cheaper to run then I would have thought 3kva more than ample for all of your needs Laundry/genny at one end and qpod or quad at the other (lift up roof for access).

Last edited:
OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
may well try that roger its just i have in the shed at my sisters a brand new 20 hours run 6kva chonda genny.

just trying to keep costs down

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Can't you just send the Mrs down the river with a couple of Rocks and a carpet beater?

That's what Nikki does :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh Dear,

Think I might wear the carpet beater when I get home :Blush:

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Can't you just send the Mrs down the river with a couple of Rocks and a carpet beater?

That's what Nikki does :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh Dear,

Think I might wear the carpet beater when I get home :Blush:

ha ha ha i tried that one once and the clothes came back smelling of fish and the fish tasted of washing powder:Doh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Just pop down to poundstecher and Peacocks and buy new every week--will be cheaper:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
before somewhere someone gives it as a reason to be nudists or something.
i don't look good in just my skin and someone would call greenpeace about a beached whale if the mrs went nude (her words not mine) :winky:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I saw a trailer with washing machine and tumble dryer some time ago - a but like one of these trailers for quad bikes. It matched the van. Looked like a mobile laundromat.:winky:
Surprised there wasn't a queue!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I saw a trailer with washing machine and tumble dryer some time ago - a but like one of these trailers for quad bikes. It matched the van. Looked like a mobile laundromat.:winky:
Surprised there wasn't a queue!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hmmm never thought of it as a business venture :Doh::Doh:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Don`t forget you need to pump water into your machine as well, so need to allow for a 500 gallon tank to fit on the top of your trailer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Don`t forget you need to pump water into your machine as well, so need to allow for a 500 gallon tank to fit on the top of your trailer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

why 500 gallons??? :Doh:
id be surprised if a wash cycle would use 5 gallons :whatthe:
anyway thats what a hosepipe and serviced pitch is for ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
hi guys i am thinking of building a small laundry in a trailer for use by us at our convenience instead of having to load the car and sit for a couple of hours in a launderette.

Maybe you've answered this in another thread I'm not up to date with, but if you normally load the car I presume you tow this behind your motorhome. Are you planning to tow the trailer behind the car too? Or are you going to leave the car and just tow the trailer?

I would have thought that if you have to tow something then the car would be the most flexible option and put up with finding a laundromat.

Just know I've got the wrong end of the stick here - I'm blaming my Christmas haze :)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

i have a domestic washing machine and a drier available for minimal outlay ( take them or they're going to the tip as we got new ones ) sketch.

i also have a 8ft x 5ft trailer that i am thinking of boarding and making a box trailer out of it.

the question is will a 6Kva genny be big enough???

obviously i am going to build this into a separate compartment in the trailer to silence it to keep the neighbours happy although it will in reality only be used for around an hour at a time.

so what do you think ???

The words 'sledgehammer' and 'nut' come to mind. ::bigsmile:

I just stay the odd night on a site with a laundry. Commercial machines take a large load and about 30 mins run time - easy.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you were going to do it, I wouldn't bother with the generator. Just have a EHU connection so you can swap your ehu cable to the trailer when washing. You'll need a small consumer unit inside the trailer though to keep it all fused.

In all honesty - by the time you have done all of that, towed it, hooked up or spent money on fuel/ for the gennie - you may as well have a large load washer in the local laundry for a fiver. Less expense and less aggro than setting up and towing about.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I actually saw one in France, but it belonged to a fair and had several washing machines/dryers in it and was a mobile launderette for all the fair people.

We use a titchy twin tub which we just stand in our shower. It will run off a cheap 300w inverter (£20 fleabay). Spins fairly dry but you do need to hang to dry completely though we sometimes hang it in the shower and it dries as we drive.:Smile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
for what it will cost in extra ferry charges and petrol to tow and run is it realy worth it?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you have to leave the toad at home to tow the trailer ???????????????--------------------------------why not set the laundry up in a small van, which would also be your toad::bigsmile:
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
maybe i should have just got a motorhome with laundry facilities built in already :Doh::Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back