How big would Tutte's Colossus be using today's microchip technology? (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If I recall correctly the capability of the Apollo moon lander's computer is now equalled by that of a simple ten quid calculator.

I've just watched a prog on cracking the Enigma code at Bletchley Park using Colossus. It is said to be the world's first electronic computer and am intrigued to know how much physical space the processing of that huge machine would take up using today's technology.

I'm sure the computer/science savvy on here will have a good idea...….

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Calculate that this little bugger will do it :rofl: :rofl:
16F1DCAA-2473-4E13-A509-1608679C6A4D.jpeg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When we visited about 5 years ago I asked the demonstrator about the 'bombe', (the machine with all the cogs in the back) I asked how a modern computer would compare if it had the same work load to do he said an average home computer from about 2004 would be able to equal the speed that the bombe worked at. I think it was good because it did several mechanical calculations simultaneously, whereas modern compooters do them in series ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ta.
Before I changed to Windows 10 last week my son backed up ten years of data from my laptop; maybe more than a thousand photos, masses of documents, hundreds of Favourites etc., etc. onto a lipstick size memory stick. I'm an engineer by profession and by nature and I like to know how things work but I find the whole internet and computing technology utterly incredible. It's as impossible as trying to imagine 'nothing'.
If only we could store, process and distribute food globally using memory sticks...……..:unsure:
I can foresee that one day we won't need computers or to learn skills as everything known to man will be on a chip implanted in the brain.
In the meantime I'll continue my extensive research into producing a square section sausage that will stay turned to where you want it when being fried. :rolleyes:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Ta.
Before I changed to Windows 10 last week my son backed up ten years of data from my laptop; maybe more than a thousand photos, masses of documents, hundreds of Favourites etc., etc. onto a lipstick size memory stick. I'm an engineer by profession and by nature and I like to know how things work but I find the whole internet and computing technology utterly incredible. It's as impossible as trying to imagine 'nothing'.
If only we could store, process and distribute food globally using memory sticks...……..:unsure:
I can foresee that one day we won't need computers or to learn skills as everything known to man will be on a chip implanted in the brain.
In the meantime I'll continue my extensive research into producing a square section sausage that will stay turned to where you want it when being fried. :rolleyes:
You could distribute food using memory sticks, just get some protein and a 3D food printer and you have a StarTrek replicator. The memory stick would have instructions for printing a roasted chicken, a side of beef etc the plum pudding may be a bit messy and hate to think how the printer would handle custard ;).....

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
The memory stick would have instructions for printing a roasted chicken, a side of beef etc...………..
Such possibilities,.............hmm,...…. a Felicity Kendall would be nice. :h:

Last edited:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
The tide predictor machine at the Liverpool museum is a mass of brass cogs weights and pulleys and is a work of art ,from memory it was about 10 feet long and 7 feet high and was capable of predicting tidal measurements anywhere on the globe .Todays comparable machine would be hand size.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Such possibilities,.............hmm,...…. a Felicity Kendall would be nice. :h:
My wife is a mix of Felicity Kendal and Joanna Lummley she also makes amazing meals and is the nicest person I know. (y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You could distribute food using memory sticks, just get some protein and a 3D food printer and you have a StarTrek replicator. The memory stick would have instructions for printing a roasted chicken, a side of beef etc the plum pudding may be a bit messy and hate to think how the printer would handle custard ;).....
Same as all the fad cooking devices, it will be a swine to clean after. And after 5 or so uses it will never get used ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back