Free Member
Nov 14, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi all,

We've decided to buy a campervan, and I need some advice on what to get (or more importantly what not to get..).
The main issue I am struggling with at the moment is how big or small do I go? We've got 2 kids (4 and 7), and would like to get out and about in it as much as possible, generally from Easter to end of October holidays. Someone suggested to me getting a 5-7 tonne horsebox and use it as a kind of mobile static caravan (?) - is this in any way practical? I've got room to park it, but what would I not be able to do with such a large van? Multistorey carparks are out obviously, but would I be welcome on all campsites/caravan sites? Is stealth camping realistic even in a panel conversion camper or bongo van?

Any advice would be great as I've been looking at forums, Ebay etc and I'm still completely at a loss as to what to get.

thanks in advance,

Jim

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

There are loads of vans and good people on here that will help as much as possible.
By stealth camping, would that be what is generally termed as wild camping? Parking overnight and not using campsites?
There is a book called Brit Stops which, in the main are pubs throughout the UK that accept overnighters without pressure to buy anything. Some are farms, vineyards, ice cream parlours. It costs around £25 for the year but use it two nights and it's then paid for itself. Some people on here don't like it because it's a book and not an app but others love it, as we do

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Whatever you do, make sure you have enough seat belts, some 4 berth vans only have two fitted and make sure you have enough spare payload, again some 6 berth vans would be overloaded if everyone got in :eek:
Horsebox is an intriguing thought, but what about a caravan ?
Edit, oh and welcome by the way !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
First have a look at your driving licence and see what you are allowed to drive. A "B" licence is for under 3,500kg, for anything bigger you will need a C1 licence (up to 7500kg) and if you go the American RV route you may need a C licence. Do you have a licence that allows you to tow (ie the "E" bit)? All that could well affect your choice.

Then go and tyre kick at local dealers :)

Remember the 3500 and 7500 is fully loaded - your basic motorhome, all your gear, water, food, people etc. Your children are growing (and very quickly) and will want to come with you for a few years yet so you need to be very aware of payload (weight) issues.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Why complicate matters getting a horse box when you want a motorhome, just take your time looking at various options , so many configurations out there I am sure you will find one to suit you, the things you do need to look out for are have you got the correct driving licence, the pay load of the vehicle and check there is no damp in it and there is storage, lots in the search facilities worth a look.

:welcomesign:

OP
OP
J

JimRP

Free Member
Nov 14, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Wow what a response! thanks for the welcome.

Yes checked licence - I used to drive a 7.5T truck in my youth, so that's OK (if a bit daunting after the family Yaris).
One problem I've seen is as Jockaneezer points out - seatbelts. Most motorhomes I've seen look like they're really designed for 2, with no forward facing rear seats. My other half was telling me about a family she knew who had to take the car with them to carry the kids, which kind of defeats the point. The best laid out vans I've seen on this front were converted 3.5T Fiats for hire in Portugal, with 5ish seats and the back 6ft of van a big double bunkbead.

And where are we actually going? (thus the wild camping question).. This is something else we need to work out. Brit stops sounds really promising - just looked at the website and the country is littered with stops, which is brilliant.

My concern is that if we go too small we will only be able to go for a day or 2 at a time, too big and getting anywhere will be hard work and expensive. I think I need to go tyre kicking... I'll let you know how I get on.

thanks,

Jim

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi and :welcome3:.

Just an encouragement to join as a full member - it's only £15 for the year and then allows you unlimited posts (you only get 5, 2 of which you've used, until you do) and access to all the info you're ever going to need. As a first step, there is a guide to buying your first motorhome which should be essential reading and probably worth the £15 alone to you.

Have FUN and don't be frightened to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hello & Welcome.

The most important factor is what you do with your m/h rather than the size of it or how well it’s furnished. Size is not everything, as they say. I have friends who have travelled far and wide in a bongo (plus tent) with 5 on board. That’s not for me. I need space to swing a cat, even though I don’t have one.

I suggest you tread carefully, not being too adventurous in how much you splash out in case your initial choice proves to be off the mark. Expect to treat your initial purchase as a ‘dress rehearsal’ as it’s very difficult to get it right first time, but you should quickly discover what suits you better.

When choosing a vehicle, look at the payload and try to maximise it. You can never have too much payload.

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Welcome along. We are also new here. We just picked up our first Van and like you it's for a growing family.

We have a 2 year old and a Labrador so the fit for us is a Swift Escape 696. Fiat 2.3 body. Rear Bunks and Double over the cab with option to convert the lounge.

It has 6 seat belts so ideal for all. Its 3650 in weight so need the 7.5 ton category on the license.

Anywho good luck with the search. We spent a good few months tyre kicking and renting. Pays off.

Tim120

Free Member
Nov 14, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 625
Exp
New to owning, have hired once.
Hi Jim,
I'm new here myself and my only experience of motorhoming was on holiday this year in Scotland, where we had a mixture of wild/sites both of which were absolutely brilliant.
We (Just the 2 of us) hired one and fell in love with the whole thing, is that a possibility for you, to hire one?
It soon became apparent what we didn't like, just little things would niggle which is ok if hiring or for a short time but if you intend doing any length of time could become a problem.
We looked at and sat in what seems like hundreds before we made a decision.
When looking try to go with all members of the family, see how it works for you.
It won't always be sunny and outdoors with a bbq.
Take your time, kick many, many tyres, imagine living in it for one night, ten, twenty.
These are not cheap things to swap around because you later discover something you do not like.
Good Luck.
Tim.

Last edited:
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Hi and welcome Jim

I suggest that you need to very carefully analyse the use that you are intending to put your van , and make sure your expectations are aligned to your bank balance

Sure, a 7 tonne horsebox will probably give you enough space, but you will have to spend a fortune in time and money insulating it, putting in windows, putting in heating, water, gas and electrics. Then you have the cost of running and maintaining it, let alone the cost of ferries, struggling to cope with negotiating smaller lanes, parking limitations en route, weight limitations on bridges and of course the height of bridges, and then find suitable places to stop. And, when you are not using it, where will you park it, and when you are fed up with it, how much will it realistically fetch?

I’m not saying it is impossible, but some of the conversions I have seen have taken a great deal of work, a lot of time and no small amount of money and skill to achieve something usable, presentable and comfortable. There's a lot more in it than bolting a caravan on a flat bed from what I've seen (although I have seen a few abandoned projects that look like that has been tried). Would it be easier to restore an older M/H??

If that is part of your adventure, then you will get out what you put in to it, and I wish you every success in achieving the outcome you want. Many people would advise you to rent a motor home or two beforehand, and use that experience to help you decide the best way forward. In many ways, I wish we had listened to such advice ourselves, although we are happy with what we have

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you every success.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Jim and :welcome3: may I say from experience something like a bongo would become extremely crowded with four,sure your kids are well behaved but reckon the lack of space would drive you mad!!
Good luck with your search.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back