How best to keep the frost out over winter (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2013
Bedworth
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer Excis-
Exp
About 5 years now
We have a Hymer Excis-i which we keep on the drive, plugged in, over winter. We use a small greenhouse fan heater set at 13 degrees c to keep the van dry and warm. The massive increases in energy costs are causing us to review this - so what to do for the best? We have an external silver screen for the front - but can we leave it on all winter? We have some lorry thermal blinds stuff that we quickly drape under the windscreen wipers when its blazing hot - what is we got some of the stuff and cut it to fit the other windows and roof vents? In my greenhouse i use bubble wrap - same issues - would that be a decent expedient - stuffed between the window blinds and the windows? All contributions gratefully received

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
No heat as warm air carries more moisture but yes to ventilation. Up until 2019 there were thousands of mohos parked on forecourts for sale without heat. Same with caravans, none heated.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think all vans are different, but in our panel van, I find I need to keep above the condensation level so I set the heater to frost control so it doesn’t go below zero, otherwise all my walls and cupboards are running with condensation. Plenty of ventilation .

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We live in Poland and can experience -15C occasionally.

We obviously drain the water system. We have no heating on.

We leave soft furnishings and clothes in the MH and have not had any condensation, mould or damp problems in 11 winters.

Maybe the insulation in our N&B Arto(2003) helps.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If the temperature inside the van is the same as the outside temperature there will be no condensation.

As long as you have drained down the van you should have no problems……..and will save a fortune on your energy bill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I dont draindown as I use the van on and off in winter.
BUT I do leave the heating on 5deg so that throught the double floor keeps the frost away.
Never had any condensation

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back