How are you FLT's getting on? (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just wondering how you are faring in these difficult times?
I would love to hear some journals of life as an FLT during lockdown.

I suppose all this stems from me having a boat for many years and considering (at the time) living on that.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
This might get more answers in the full timer forum. We are living in the van at the moment but not truly full time as have a house though it's rented out. We are living on my Dad's drive with hook up and water etc and it's a beautiful country location so life is pretty good. Walking, cycling, bbqing is keeping us busy.

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Were good. Been fulltiming since June last year. Spent July to Feb in sunny Spain. Came back so we could get jobs to give the van some TLC and pay for next trip.
Got jobs as wardens all sorted. Then the virus happens. Lost our job but we can stay on the site.
So ok for water, electric. So we are probably luckier than most. It's the not working and earning that a pain. But shouldn't moan

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Were good. Been fulltiming since June last year. Spent July to Feb in sunny Spain. Came back so we could get jobs to give the van some TLC and pay for next trip.
Got jobs as wardens all sorted. Then the virus happens. Lost our job but we can stay on the site.
So ok for water, electric. So we are probably luckier than most. It's the not working and earning that a pain. But shouldn't moan
At least you're safe, which is the main thing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This might get more answers in the full timer forum. We are living in the van at the moment but not truly full time as have a house though it's rented out. We are living on my Dad's drive with hook up and water etc and it's a beautiful country location so life is pretty good. Walking, cycling, bbqing is keeping us busy.
Why the full timer forum ? That's lost on me ???

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Don't see what being a FLT has to do with it, the only difference is when traveling we don't like prison camps.
Morning Lenny,
I think the OP may have misunderstood the definition of FLT (Free Loading To**er) and been a genuine question to the FT (Full Time) community(y)

Good to hear from the FT’s that have replied have somewhere and are staying safe.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Sold up, retired and been full timing since November. Started our travels to Greece early March just in time for lockdown in France. Been wild camping in France for 6 weeks now. Not quite the original plan but listening to some of the horror stories for UK FTs I'm glad we stayed here.

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
We are full timers (6years) and are currently in lockdown on the algarve in Portugal on a campsite. From the news we are hearing from the uk, I think we are very lucky to be where we are.good luck to everyone .
20200416_122334.jpg
20200416_122334.jpg

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Morning Lenny,
I think the OP may have misunderstood the definition of FLT (Free Loading To**er) and been a genuine question to the FT (Full Time) community(y)

Good to hear from the FT’s that have replied have somewhere and are staying safe.
Yes, I was using the FLT acronym to ask about 'proper' full timers.
Of course FLT's are also part of that community.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Sold up, retired and been full timing since November. Started our travels to Greece early March just in time for lockdown in France. Been wild camping in France for 6 weeks now. Not quite the original plan but listening to some of the horror stories for UK FTs I'm glad we stayed here.
That gets close to why I asked the original question.
Have you endured any hostility whilst 'out there' ?
The French , as far as I have experienced , generally are pretty indifferent to these things provided you don't upset the apple cart.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
We are full timers (6years) and are currently in lockdown on the algarve in Portugal on a campsite. From the news we are hearing from the uk, I think we are very lucky to be where we are.good luck to everyone .View attachment 382277View attachment 382277
Looks very sunny and comfortable. :)
How was the 'do we stay or do we return' dilemma for you?
I thought all visitors were obliged to return?
I guess beyond a certain date in your locality you were then 'locked in' until we can all resume travelling.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
That gets close to why I asked the original question.
Have you endured any hostility whilst 'out there' ?
The French , as far as I have experienced , generally are pretty indifferent to these things provided you don't upset the apple cart.
French have been great, only the odd car horn every few days. A few locals have stopped to check we're OK and even left a gift at Easter. Gendarmes have stopped four times now to check paperwork but no problem. They now just drive past and glance over to check we're OK and not upsetting any apple carts.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

☹?

EDIT Jake Royd I'm French Sir, and certainly NOT indifferent whatever the circumstances. Smileys prevent me from being angry with words.

Last edited:

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
As we are full timers, we had no other place to go to, so they said we could stay. The Portuguese have been great.even doing the shopping for the people on the campsite. The local police said as we were fulltime motorhomers we were welcome to stay . We are both retired, so no real reason to head back to the UK as at the time most uk campsites were closed and not allowing anybody on. Although we are in lockdown, the campsite is big enough to walk around and keep the 2 metre rule..

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Good to hear people are ok. I must say glad were back in the UK. Not for any reason but when thing go pear shape nice to be in our comfort zone.

Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Our case is a bit of an odd one, which some may find interesting. It has found me stranded in the UK, but thankfully the good old Caravan and MH club came through and I’ve been allowed onto a lovely campsite at Tredegar House in Newport for Full Timers in these COVID-19 times. It’s lovely here, with friendly, helpful wardens and a great location. I am a Brit, married to a lovely Aussie lass for thirty years and the last 22 of them have been spent living in Perth, Australia. I work on an oil rig in Chad, Africa, 28 days on, 28 days off, and due to the awful commute back to Oz (I’d lose a full week of my 28 day leave waiting in hotels and airports for flights back to and from Chad) we decided to bring our travelling plans forward and not wait for retirement. So we bought a motorhome in the UK in December 2019 and since then I’d fly back to the UK via Paris, as France has daily flights to Chad, being an ex-French colony. Now it only takes 8.5 hrs instead of 3 or four days! So I’d fly into Manchester (our eldest son lives in Chester) and my wife would arrive two hours after me and we’d pick the van up, visit our ‘’lad’’ and then go a-travelling. When I’d go back on the rig, Lisa would fly back to Oz to check on our house and our 23 yr old son who still lives with us, and check on her elderly Mum. It was working well until COVID struck. I got stuck on the rig for nine weeks once Chadian airspace was closed and also Lisa couldn’t leave Oz. Eventually Chad allowed in a plane to repatriate us last Monday, so I was able to collect the van from Devon where some off-grid work was being done on it, then came here to Newport to go into quarantine. But for the foreseeable future, our marriage is by Facetime only! We’re just one case in millions of people who have had their plans blown out of the water, so I wonder what other tales of separation there are out there? Once all this is over, I heartily recommend this site to you all, if you get a chance. It’s a cracker.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting story Mick.

Your commuting sounds like a friend of mine who was a ship's Captain on a storage tanker anchored off oilfields, firstly off Angola and then Brazil. He did 28 day commutes back to his 'home', a sailing boat moored in Greece near mine then. Boat is still there but he has come 'ashore' to Cumbria and now skippers a pleasure steamer on Lake Windermere, so now has no commuting problems.

Our only family separation is also Australia where my OH's son has been working for 4-5 years as a chef in Brisbane. He and wife had planned to move back to Poland in June, but now on hold and his catering company have stopped operations so he is out of work and burning money. He could have taken one of the last flights out of Sydney but because of travel restrictions they could not get from Queensland to NSW. Australia seems to be easing up so maybe they and your wife will be able to leave in near future, if the airlines decide it is commercially viable to operate again. On Flight Radar 24 Qatari and Ethiad seem to still be flying, at least in European direction.

I know you said campsite is good, but it cannot be much fun in a MH without your wife. Sod's law is flights from Aus will not start until you are back in Chad, but with glut of oil maybe production will be suspended before then.

Good luck with it all.

Geoff

Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Ooh, skippering a pleasure steamer on Lake Windermere sounds like a nice little number - I'm jealous. Not as many day trippers for him at the mo, though. The drilling campaign has shut down, Geoff, at least for six months, I'd say, so if travel restrictions are lifted sooner than that (???!!) we should be able to have a good old tour around before work interferes again. But yeah, lonely without my better half, for sure. She makes everything better. But staying on theme a bit more about how Full-Timers are faring, after I'd picked up my van from Devon and was heading to Newport, I stopped off at a Spar garage to top-off with LPG and grub before going into isolation proper, and when I came out of the store two stony-faced cops were waiting for me, armed with pistols! The guns weren't drawn of course, but it was shock to see a normal bobby with a weapon on his belt along with the torches and batons and sprays and handcuffs myriad other mysterious stuff they seem to be accoutred with these days. I'm used to arm cops in Oz, but it did seem odd in dear old Blighty, I must say. Anyway, they quizzed me on who I was and where I had come from and where I was going, but once I'd established my bona-fides they relaxed and were as nice as ninepence. They even apologised to me, but apparently their suspicions were heightened by a lone male driving the vehicle way off its home turf and also 'cos a male was driving it and it's registered in my wife's name (easier for her as an Aussie to import it to Oz later on, when we're done in Europe). Anyway, good to know our lads in blue are on the case, but also a cautionary tale for any other folks who think an unnecessary jolly in the van may go unnoticed...................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back