How and Why Do Manufacturers Do It? (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I have a Dethleffs and am generally very happy with the quality, reliability, finish and cconstruction BUT there are some things that are massively frustrating when needing to access areas.

Today's example.

Routing a vent pipe from underfloor to roof. Realised that the wardrobe has a false rear panel with the Alde reservoir and vertical cable routes behind it.

Easy peasy - oh no its not.

Remove. The 6 visible screws and panel is now loose but gets caught on the shelf supports screws into the side panels.

Remove these and a little more movement now but the panel can't be removed.

Remove wardrobe door to squeeze further into wardrobe and peer behind panel to find the Alde reservoir has a large black flex tube from the bottom towards the floor. This is attached to the panel I want to remove by a saddle clip screwed from the rear into the said panel!

1. How do they do this in the first place as the reservoir is screwed to the back wall and there is minimal movement.
2. The void is only 2-3 inches so getting a screwdriver in is impossible.
3. Why do it in the first place? If the reservoir needed to be replaced the panel has to come out somehow.

Rant over - almost feel better 🤯

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If vehicle manufacturers made easy access their priority,we’d all be driving Morris Traveller’s!

But I guess it’s about 999th out of 1000 on their list.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Motorhomes get built from the inside out so its all easy when they put them together.
Like fitting big fridges, easy when there are no sides :doh: or roof.
Agreed, but the pipe is screwed to the back of the wardrobe panel (from the outside to in), the reservoir is screwed from the inside to the inner wall behind the wardrobe, the two are interconnected with the main pipe work, very tight, then there is an outer wall beyond that?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Agreed, but the pipe is screwed to the back of the wardrobe panel (from the outside to in), the reservoir is screwed from the inside to the inner wall behind the wardrobe, the two are interconnected with the main pipe work, very tight, then there is an outer wall beyond that?
Pre-assembled and then the structure added to the build?

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
After being on German factory tour’s and seen them built from start to finish I hate something to go wrong you stand no chance of getting to it. We were told by the tour guide all the important parts like pipes and cables are in single runs to the next access point but I’m not so sure especially if your van is getting older.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I think it's about making it easy for the builder, not for the ease of the user. We have a similar features on our moho as well.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had a van that was built around the fridge, when it failed it was impossible to get it out without wrecking the van. Had to swap it bit for bit and rebuild it inside.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had a van that was buit around the fridge, when it failed it was impossible to get it out without wrecking the van. Had to swap it bit for bit and rebuilt it iinside.
There are some vans where the fridge won't go through the hab door.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Fortunately on the last coach built the fridge went out through the cab doors after the seat was removed
Of course there is one other option if it won’t go through the doors just cut a bigger while in the roof to get the fridge in and out then make a panoramic skyline feature from the bigger hole.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
There are some vans where the fridge won't go through the hab door.

Airstreams are built outside aluminium shell first (over 1600 rivets!). Everything inside must pass through the door. In small sub-assemblies. Which explains why they are so expensive. As seen in a video shot in their factory.

[I know, I know, it's only a caravan. :rolleyes:]

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Some manufacturers sell panel vans and coachbuilts to similar specifications. But the panel van costs a few thousand more. I assume it's because it's much more work to assemble a van compared to building a motorhome inside-to-outside?

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Podney Morris minor - those were the days when you could look at the engine and recognise all the bits and understand what they did.
Whatever happened to the KISS principle.
Indeed. My two year old car has a big plastic cover over the engine with an implicit 'don't even bother, you won't recognise anything' message.

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 500
If the bits were easy to get to they'd make no money on repairs

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
The fridge failed on our Burstner Elegance and could not be replaced. The hab door was too small. The bedroom window was big enough but the door to the bedroom was too narrow. Removing the windscreen and taking it out that way was a possibility And another was disassembling the island bed to drop it into the garage and out the garage door.
in the end the heat exchanger assembly (basically the back half of the fridge) was determined as the culprit and could be replaced by removing the fridge from its housing into the kitchen area and turning it round to expose the rear. Parts cost was about ÂŁ1200 if I remember.
Accessing the engine on that van even to Just check or top up oil and water was difficult
These vehicles are designed and built For ease of construction and without any thought to maintenance and repair..

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The whole industry is compared to the cars a cottage industry. A simple example our new Hymer internal door pop out handles pop right out onto the floor because whoever drilled the holes hadn’t used the correct size drill. Loads of other examples.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Having to have a new turbo and intercooler on my A class (warranty fortunately!). A bit of head scratching as to how they get at it all since the cab is built around it.
Doable though I understand.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Fortunately on the last coach built the fridge went out through the cab doors after the seat was removed
What "cab doors"?
I give you our Burstner Aviano i727

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our static van has the same carpet throughout. Chassis, board floor, carpet,internal partitions, bathroom, kitchen, walls, roof in that order. The carpet runs under everything and had to be cut out to change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back