How accurate are French toll road height measurements (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2018
Funster No
Hi, we're planning on going to southern Spain via the tunnel and France and looking at possible routes would like to do a mix of toll roads where they are most appropriate and would save time, and non toll roads. Bit of a dilemma though, as the vehicle classification changes for vehicles up to 3 metres, and those over 3 metres. Typically ours is listed as 3.03 metres !!
Does anyone know how accurate the toll road measurements are? Are we likely to be charged the higher rate or maybe get through as a 3 metre vehicle? Thanks

Jan 8, 2016
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Cathargo Malibu 640
Exp
Since 2001
Ours is 3.05 metres and have always been charged Class 2 ie less than 3.0 metres.

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Last time in france (a lifetime ago it seems) we got charged the higher rate in our Autotrail which was 3.3m so pretty accurate I would say.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Hi
mine is similar. In France Class 3 comes up on ticket insertion. I press button , say “Je suits un camping car” when operator responds. It gets reduced to class 2 everytime I have done it. Significant cost difference. The measurement seems very accurate. I think you will be picked up on that tiny margin over 3m. Whether they reduce it this time is uncertain. Will be trying it in next few weeks. I do not know about Spain, Others will be along
Tk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Ours is 2-95m only time had a problem was the Mont Blanc tunnel. They insisted on testing with a height gauge and the tip of the flexible radio aerial fouled the gauge. After phone calls to management agreed it was ok to proceed

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Hi we've just travelled through France to Spain via Claremont Ferrand, Millau bridge.
Funny you should ask this question. We have travelled this route many times (autotrail arapaho overcab bunk) they usually always try to charge class4 but 9 times out 10, they usually drop it to class 2 when challenged. However this journey, every toll came up class 2, even the Millau. This is usually the one we have to pay class 4 but not today.
Nothing has changed with our motorhome. I wondered if they had raised the height sensors?
Just for info. All tolls have been cancelled in Spain.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Just for info. All tolls have been cancelled in Spain.
we usually do that route and all class 2 up to now, it’s a good route we think

i’m not sure all tolls in Spain have been cancelled, afaik some are still applicable in parts but not on the AP7 down towards Murcia and beyond

Al

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Ours is 3.03 metres according to the brochure when we bought it. Allways clsss 2 on French and Spanish tolls. Last year i measured the highest point at the overcab pod when we were fully loaded and it was only 2.97 metres. Might be worthwhile to check yours.

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Our arapaho is 3.1 give or take a bit.

The toll as you cross the border? into Spain, ap7 and on the C32 are free. The toll booths are still in place. 30kph speed limit through them.
We have in the past, travelled from Bilbao to Murcia. These tolls were reduced a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't been suspended.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I have an Adria Matrix with a dome on top which becomes the highest point and do not know what the height comes to. If I have the rear suspension pumped up (axle top) I normally trigger and if on its lowest setting don't. I checked at a motorway service area with the service provider and they wanted my Tag back, giving me an appropriate bag. Luckily I twigged in time what was happening :)

OP
OP
Robert Houghton
Jan 4, 2018
Funster No
Thank you all for your very helpful replies and experiences. I worked it out that .03 of a metre is only 1.18. I'm hoping that over the years the springs etc might have given by this much perhaps and as we will be very much fully loaded we might in any case be lower than the quoted unladen height. As someone tongue in cheek replied take some air out of the tyres!!!
The route I've seen that recommends what toll roads to take to balance out costs versus time saved suggests the A16 between Calais and Abbeville. As this is only a relatively short section, I guess if I try this and see how I get on, even if I get charged the higher rate it won't be a disaster and I'll know then. Must say I feel a bit more optimistic after reading the replies of everyones actual experiences rather than just strict reading of the rules.
By the way the route suggestion I stumbled across was on about-france.com and a section called no tolls through France. On first impressions seems to have a lot of useful info with good route suggestions and advice.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Thank you all for your very helpful replies and experiences. I worked it out that .03 of a metre is only 1.18. I'm hoping that over the years the springs etc might have given by this much perhaps and as we will be very much fully loaded we might in any case be lower than the quoted unladen height. As someone tongue in cheek replied take some air out of the tyres!!!
The route I've seen that recommends what toll roads to take to balance out costs versus time saved suggests the A16 between Calais and Abbeville. As this is only a relatively short section, I guess if I try this and see how I get on, even if I get charged the higher rate it won't be a disaster and I'll know then. Must say I feel a bit more optimistic after reading the replies of everyones actual experiences rather than just strict reading of the rules.
By the way the route suggestion I stumbled across was on about-france.com and a section called no tolls through France. On first impressions seems to have a lot of useful info with good route suggestions and advice.
That section of the A16 WAS about 13€ when we last did the trip - Mar 19 2020. I reckon it is worth it to avoid all the tine roundabouts, traddic lights, sharp bends, etc. Especially as I always have a full trailer on the back up that end of France

J

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Tolls v cost is very much about how much time (and money to an extent) you have. You will find your own pace. There have been many discussions on here about optimum choices for routes.
Do not pay class 3 have your wife primed with pressing the button and shouting "Camping car class doo seal voo play".

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We are 3 m high and mostly get charged class 2. On the odd occasion we have been charged class 3 we have done what tkk does and press the button and say “Je suits un camping car”,and they always drop us down to class 2.

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Just for info.
We travelled from Calais to Perpignan via, Rouen, Orleans, Clermont-Ferrand and Millau. Total French toll cost €104.40

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
It may depend on where the hight laser beam is in the toll booth.

We are 2.95 high, but the bee sting aerial near the back of the van makes us over 3m.
Sometimes we are under, other times we are over.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
We were, from memory, about 3.15m in our old Autotrail with overcab bed. Never had a problem, always came back class 2. Now have new van, 2.85 so got a toll tag. Makes life a lot easier, even though over 3500kg so in theory not class 2. No problems the last time we were over there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back