Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all the replies , somehow i did not think it would be as simple as MH solar is ,, typical....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Glad we still get our water for free here in N.Ireland atm anyways , for how much longer who knows.
... that's because it rains so much they can't get rid of it any other way than to give it to you for nowt! :D2

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I had just missed out on a plot of land with a casita in Spain. Had water, septic but no electric.

Mrs. TM thought I had lost the plot when I suggested we view it. We had discussed living on campsites for around 4 months in the summer whilst we rent our house. But when I suggested our own plot, she thought I had lost it.

"And where will we get electricity from?"

Same as we do in the Motorhome, solar and batteries....

"That won't heat the hot water?".

No, but LPG will........

"Oh yes, of course!."

The case continues..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
For someone getting solar now feed in tariff is 4.something not worth having?

Joe
I think to some extent that depends on your electricity use - how much, and at what time of day - ie how much of what you generate can you use within your household, & therefore what savings can you make that way. Also of course on your building's latitude, orientation, surroundings, and the slope of your roof. And how long you're likely to remain in the property, ie pay-back time.
I think it needs very careful consideration and a thorough examination of projected/ estimated figures.

The generous FIT at the start was designed to kick-start/ give a boost to the industry. Unfortunately there weren't the necessary safeguards in place to prevent its abuse by the rent-a-roof crowd.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We have 2kw of solar panels. Our roof direction is sse. On average we generate 1500kw per year. The fit we get in return is £700 . As others have said this is paid for by all electric customers, so thankyou for my share!
We feel the return has been ok, initial outlay was £6500.
Of course if a panel were to fail or the feed in inverter then the costs would change .......
Another aspect is how much of the generated electric you can use.
We have a diy item that diverts all surplus electric to our immersion heater or an oil filled radiator. It can only be used for a resistive load so no motors or tv. If you want more info google " arduino calypso rae " and look for mk2 pv controller. It costs less than £40 to build to a good standard.
So this time of year hot showers are free!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If you want more info google " arduino calypso rae " and look for mk2 pv controller. It costs less than £40 to build to a good standard.
Well I googled it...............

...............................:confused:

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Well I googled it...............

...............................:confused:

ok so maybe if I add a file, picture of the wiring diagram, . I have the arduino program and some words of explanation if anyone gets that far.

Attachments

• Mk2_CircuitSchematic.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
ok so maybe if I add a file, picture of the wiring diagram, . I have the arduino program and some words of explanation if anyone gets that far.
Oh I'm sure it would be absolutely fine and really interesting for lots of the practical gals & guys on here, but as I don't know the difference between a ratchet screwdriver and a monkey wrench I'm afraid it's lost on me :LOL: Thanks for putting it out there though (y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I had just missed out on a plot of land with a casita in Spain. Had water, septic but no electric.

Mrs. TM thought I had lost the plot when I suggested we view it. We had discussed living on campsites for around 4 months in the summer whilst we rent our house. But when I suggested our own plot, she thought I had lost it.

"And where will we get electricity from?"

Same as we do in the Motorhome, solar and batteries....

"That won't heat the hot water?".

No, but LPG will........

"Oh yes, of course!."

The case continues..........
in spain then solar heated water is easy. thats cheap to have fitted by comparison.
i know lots that have it on campers . a stainless tank about 2 inches deep across the roof . paint it black . even on not so bright days it can scold you if you arent careful.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes, I did mention solar water heating. But, I am Teaching in Stages.

I once saw an Italian Camper on the aire in Cavlaiere (Not to be confused with nearby Cavalaire-Sur-Mer). He pulled up to the tap and proceeded to fill this huge flat rooftop tank with about 200 litres of water. Each day when he had used the shower, washed up. He Simply climbed the ladder with a watering can to top it up. Saved him losing his prime spot.

Its the simple things.

When we go out in the minibus to the beach. I put a black 10 litre spray bottle (like a garden sprayer) onto the dash. My Family thought I was mad the first time I did it.

Nice warm shower after the beach and a big queue of family squabbling who was next behind me. Now we take 30 litres. Those old Black 2 litre Tango Orange bottles were good when they were around too.

Happy, Safe and cheap Travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back