Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Anyone had solar panels installed on their house roof? Looking for your views on what you think about the results, and recommendations of installers in the East Midlands.

Thanks. Mike

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Yep. Got 32 of them. Had them exactly 1 year and have received £1300 for energy produced.

Not switched on:RollEyes: with household Solar Panels..

We have a rather large south/southwest facing roof... and were thinking of going down this road..

Can I be cheeky and ask how much it cost to install ? PM, me if it`s personal.. Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Home solar panels

Hi, our house roof only takes 8 panels, but is south facing. We had them installed for £4000 last April and in the first 6 months they have earned us £200, which is a better return than any savings account. Plus if you maximise your use if electricity in daylight hours, you are actually using units you are also getting paid for, so nit only getting income but reducing your bills. No regrets on our part.

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
We had 20 panels fitted (looks even) onto our south west bungalow roof which is 3.8kw. The cost to install in June 2012 was below 7,000.00 and we receive 21p per kw sold to the grid. The cost of running the bungalow which is completely all electric has come down significantly and the return on investment without the savings on electric ( the panels run our household during the day ) is around 850+ pounds per year. I understand we will get feed in tariff payments for 25 years which will give a good return on investment every year and will be paid for in 6 years or less if you take in the savings of £80.00 per month on electric payments to our supplier was around £120 now £35.ish.
We also, when we moved in in 2010 fitted an air-source heating ( you put 2 kw in and it returns 6kw out in heat to run both central heating and hot water ) along with all new central heating new windows,doors and had insulation updated in order to reduce our need for power and heat.
The systems we put in is excellent giving a constant 44 degrees of hot water and we are delighted with the whole system, plus it costs us nowt to run and we make a profit in the medium term. We are due to get a feed in tariff for the air-source as well in April when the government fixes the level of fit payments. :thumb::thumb:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Our 32 panels cost £14,500 and produce 7.6kw - which means when the sun is shining I run round like a blue-arsed fly hoovering , mowing the lawn and doing the washing etc so as not to waste power - but the returns seem good.

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Not switched on:RollEyes: with household Solar Panels..

We have a rather large south/southwest facing roof... and were thinking of going down this road..

Can I be cheeky and ask how much it cost to install ? PM, me if it`s personal.. Thanks.

There are a lot of firms wanting to sell you solar and some of the sales people exaggerate the returns, may I suggest firstly everyone to go onto the governments web site the energy saving trust they can guide you through the process. They will even speak to you by phone if you prefer speaking to a real person who has the knowledge to help you make the right decision for you personally. Should you have a local firm who have MCC accreditation it is worth getting them in just to see what the difference in multi-nationals and they are. [HI] It is important for such a large outlay to make sure the right firm with the right government recognised MCC accreditation installs the renewable energy otherwise you may have trouble getting the feed in tariff.[/HI]
We have the same facing roof as you seem to have and on speaking to our local installer who run their own business suggested that with the modern panels coming through now they can be put on most facing roofs but south facing is always going to be the best.
When we put our air-scouce unit in we replaced both oil and open fire systems which were in when we bought our bungalow. Those two types of heating were both expensive to run and dirty and as we had those in the previous property we were determined to remove them. But not only did we increase the size of the lounge by removing the chimney and fireplace but the whole living conditions changed dramatically and we were considering a gas central heating first until the local heating company from the next village assessed the installation of gas and then told us about the alternatives and we looked into it more.
Also look into any grants by your local council, its worth a visit or phone call.
The best decision we ever made.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Had 4Kw of panels installed in June, 8 south facing and 8 west facing both sets run indipendantly but use the same inverter. I live in the south west of the country so we get a lot of daylight hours. In first 3 months they have generated 1500Kwh. We also had an immersun water heater fitted and have had constant hot water from day one. My energy consumption Gas and Electric coming into the house is down 80% which is a huge saving plus we have been paid nearly £300 in the first quarter. Shop around for installers as some of them do not know what they are talking about find one where the salesman is a qualified electrician.

Graham:Smile:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We were down in Glastonbury last week, the camp site had 72 panels on a frame facing south (see pic). Site owner said it was great when sun shines.

Attachments

• 2013-10-22 002.jpg
    2013-10-22 002.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 15

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had 12 panels fitted 2 years ago, for free, so anything we make on them us a bonus.
We don't get the feed in tarif, but we save about £30 a month on our electric bills.
On a really sunny day, we can Hoover, use the dishwasher and kettle, plus we have 2 fridges, 2 freezers ( don't ask) and 4 tv's on standby through the day and the meter doesn't move
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back