Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
HI
I dont want to break any rules here so please excuse me if I am doing.

There is a lively debate going on in the other forum concerning a company called house gaurds. Has anybody any experience or knowledge of them

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
HI
I dont want to break any rules here so please excuse me if I am doing.
We are pretty relaxed here, unlike some, we do allow you to mention other motorhome forums by name:Smile: However we don't allow full links/urls to them as that would boost their search engine rating at the expense of ours.:Doh:

Houseguards? seems a good idea on the face of it. But only as a token deterrent. People can be robbed whilst they sleep in their motorhomes, so robbing a nearby house whilst the motorhome owner is asleep would be easy:Smile:

I have been involved in commercial security for almost 30 years. Would I get into the motorhomer/houseguard business? NO. The lone worker problems are an issue and surmountable at cost but the big problem is that most of them insist the "guard/motorhomeowner" be present 24 hours but only actually pay for 8. Whether they are on duty for the other 16 hours is a matter for debate.

If, say after an accident, or after they were hit on the head by robber, a court ruled they were on duty, then major breaches of the Working Time Directive and health & safety laws would probably be enough for the directors of the company to be fined or jailed.

So where is this debate going on?:Smile:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We are pretty relaxed here, unlike some, we do allow you to mention other motorhome forums by name:Smile: However we don't allow full links/urls to them as that would boost their search engine rating at the expense of ours.:Doh:

Houseguards? seems a good idea on the face of it. But only as a token deterrent. People can be robbed whilst they sleep in their motorhomes, so robbing a nearby house whilst the motorhome owner is asleep would be easy:Smile:

I have been involved in commercial security for almost 30 years. Would I get into the motorhomer/houseguard business? NO. The lone worker problems are an issue and surmountable at cost but the big problem is that most of them insist the "guard/motorhomeowner" be present 24 hours but only actually pay for 8. Whether they are on duty for the other 16 hours is a matter for debate.

If, say after an accident, or after they were hit on the head by robber, a court ruled they were on duty, then major breaches of the Working Time Directive and health & safety laws would probably be enough for the directors of the company to be fined or jailed.

So where is this debate going on?:Smile:

Hi Jim

Its on Facts and it wasnt the mention of facts that I was bothered about. It was that there is a huge debate regarding whether or not the company should even be mentioned because it was deemed as being advertising.

On the face of it it seemed like a good idea but as with all things there are catches.

Nobody on facts seems to be able to pass an informed opinion, there seems to be more debate about whether or not they should be talking about it. Thanks for the informed response.

Jim :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
House Guards

Hello everyone... just my two penneth, I sent of for an application form/blurb after spotting their ad a while ago.
On the face of it ' it sound pretty tempting parking up outside on some ones drive /lawn for a few weeks and earning a bit of cash... but when you read the the details' errrr not really.

Like being on duty 24/7, no say in where your going' refuse to many offers and lose your training enrollment fee ,(did I mention that you have to pay that up front and earn it back through the jobs your given ?) this then gives you some kind of licensed security guard status/certificate.

Security Guard who's office is your own van thats all it is.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hello everyone... just my two penneth, I sent of for an application form/blurb after spotting their ad a while ago.
On the face of it ' it sound pretty tempting parking up outside on some ones drive /lawn for a few weeks and earning a bit of cash... but when you read the the details' errrr not really.

Like being on duty 24/7, no say in where your going' refuse to many offers and lose your training enrollment fee ,(did I mention that you have to pay that up front and earn it back through the jobs your given ?) this then gives you some kind of licensed security guard status/certificate.

Security Guard who's office is your own van thats all it is.

The training is a minimum 4 days and will cost you approx £250, the licence which is issued from the new Link Removed cost you a further £250 every 3 years!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back