LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have been trying to access my emails all day but everytime I type my password in and enter, a warning page comes up saying Dangerous downloads on this page we suggest you close it down immediately.

Help me please. Does that mean I cannot get to my emails. How do I get rid of the downloads which are causing problems?:cry:

(please keep it simple as not computer literate. Thank you.)

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Is this a pop up window or just text on the login page coming up? Is there any other text? What anti-virus are you using?

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Need more info Joy....
Just logged into my Hotmail no problem..:winky:
You got firewall turned on?
Start/Control panel/windows firewall...

Come on nerds help this damsel !!!

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you can, go to a Internet cafe or library and go into you hot mail account from there. The Internet cafe will have good anti virus protection and it will prove one way or another what is going on.

Doug...

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh Dear, How embarrassing. Have just gone to try and get in so that I could tell you whether the message was a pop up or whatever and what the exact wording is ...... and it hasn't happened. Sorry.

I tried ALL yesterday and it kept happening.

Having said that, I paid for Kominsky (or something like that) anti-virus up to a few months ago but couldn't afford to renew the contract. I keep getting messages up saying anti virus needs renewing etc.... but I don't know which of the free ones are safe to download. I had Zone Alarms on my last computer and it was a pain to get rid of in the end .... it kept blocking important things and it wouldn't let me have Java on my computer.

So if someone could tell me which free antivirus to download I would be grateful. Also, if this dangerous content message appears again, should I just wait a day and it will disappear, or should I do something, and if so - what?

Thank you all again.. and sorry for being such a dumbo!:Blush::Blush:

Link Removed

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi, for a free anti-virus I used AVG. It is good, and you only have to be careful to make sure you download the fee version.

I think Virgin use it as the underlying virus protection in their protection suite.

Try downloading from here

Link Removed

All the best

David

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I understand your confusion. Some of the free antivirus/firewall software is getting too clever and complicated for its own good.

You could try Avast or AVG or Comodo.

Others have their preference and may well suggest Avast but I'd say Comodo is good enough. If you still have problems download Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and let them scan for problems. If you haven't already got Ccleaner I'd get that and let it clean out your system as well.

If you just want antivirus you could use this: http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus.php and use the Windows firewall or for the whole shebang this: http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php if Sandbox gives you too much grief you can always turn it off.

Then when you have it installed let it scan to check your system. Sorry can't help with what's happened.

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...

• All good advice Joy.
  • I 've used Avast since it came out and never had a problem that it didn't sort out. AVG free is ok too.
  • I can see your brain cell exploding from here !
:ROFLMAO:

Would you like to borrow my big hammer?

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank you everybody who replied. I do so appreciate your help as this computer thingymigjig scares the life out of me. Will go and look at your suggestions for anti virus and download one.

Thanks all again:thumb:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh so sorry. I am so thick on this.

Just clicked on free avg download and it asked did I want to run or save it. I chose run.

Wonder now should I have chosen save. If I am supposed to choose save where shall I best save it to and also will it start asking me about pop3 and something like smtv or something I havn't a clue on.

Now I have run it, it has gone back to the home page without saying run successful or anything, so does that mean it hasn't run it or is it finished..:Blush:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Has it actually run the virus scan, or has the programme just been installed.
Try running the scan :Smile:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Save it to your desktop and run/install it from there. Makes it easy to find.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh my gosh. forget my last post. Whilst it was running (after I posted) it came up and said that to continue running it needs me to delete Kapersky, so I went onto delete programmes and deleted Kapersky but at the end of deleting it is said to complete the deletion I need to close down the system so click continue.

I clicked continue and the computer shut down!!!!!:Sad:

I have now logged back on but how do I know if avg continued to run their programme after I deleted kapersky because the computer closed off.... how do I check if it is on. If it isn't do I just repeat the process and click save and then to desktop as advised. Will an option of Desktop come up when I click save to and if not how do I do it please...

Sooooooooooooooo sorry. I just have phobia about computers.:cry:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
In the bottom right hand side of your task bar is there an avg icon, run your mouse over the icons slowly without clicking and see if avg shows up. If it does then it is installed. Right click on the icon and open and select the scan your computer. may not be exactly like that but I think you will get the gist.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Jim It isn't there. Shall I start again and this time save it rather than run it?

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Gonna leave you to Rainbowchaser and his hammer :ROFLMAO: , I have to go walkies such a lovely sunny day. Hope you get it sorted Joy. :Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Oh Dear, How embarrassing. Have just gone to try and get in so that I could tell you whether the message was a pop up or whatever and what the exact wording is ...... and it hasn't happened. Sorry.

I tried ALL yesterday and it kept happening.

Link Removed

Oh dear Joy

Link Removed

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Awwwwww John. What a gorgeous photo of Bruno. He's adorable.... awwww. give him a big hug from me please.....::bigsmile:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Tony are you there please.... anybody... don't have to be named Tony:Sad:

Just gone to google and typed in Hotmail to go to my emails again. and it has happened again as soon as I type in the password a DIFFERENT message now comes up saying that this is as follows

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Link RemovedClick here to close this webpage.

Link RemovedContinue to this website (not recommended).

Link Removed More information

<LI id=errorExpl1>If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting. <LI id=errorExpl2>When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com. <LI id=errorExpl3>If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.
For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

what do I do please?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you need to forget about hotmail and everything else until you have installed AVG and run a scan. there may not be a problem other than lack of antivirus checker. But then again if there is malware on the computer it is collecting your passwords. Don't use it to get to paypal or any banking details
clear cookies and delete passwords. Then install the AVG, update it straight away and run a scan.
That should sort it out.

Mangled

Free Member
Mar 11, 2010
Kent
Funster No
Exp
4 Years
I have seen this before and AVG will probably not sort, if you do a google search for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware download to your desktop install it and update it. You then need to do a scan with it and it will find a load of stuff. You then need to let it fix all of the things that it has found. Another programme that sometimes picks up things that this one doesn't is Spybot Search and Destroy.
Personally I have both and run them from time to time. Once these fix what it finds on your computer has to be restarted and this is normal.
I would also download the free AVG and set it up to update automatically and scan automatically. I also find that using internet explorer picks up more of these type of infections and I now use Chrome or Firefox depending on what is the flavour of the month.

Hope this helps
Gord

Edit: I forgot to say all these are free and you shouldn't have to pay anything

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Firstly have you downloaded and installed AVG or any other antivirus software and done a full scan? If not then do this first. Is your Windows system fully updated? Check and do a full update.

Just to reiterate what Mangled posted:
I would recommend you download Malwarebytes and Superantispyware update their databases and run full scans, one at a time. Both free and let them fix what they have found. It's worth downloading Ccleaner making sure you unclick install Yahoo toolbar (if I remember correctly) during the install and run it to clean out any garbage, temporary internet files, cookies, etc. Don't tick any extra boxes before the scan just do the default.

Come back and report if the problem persists.

Oh happy birthday by the way :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank you. Only just seen posts as away in Newbury will do that today. Thank you.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Tony are you there please.... anybody... don't have to be named Tony:Sad:

Just gone to google and typed in Hotmail to go to my emails again. and it has happened again as soon as I type in the password a DIFFERENT message now comes up saying that this is as follows

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Link RemovedClick here to close this webpage.

Link RemovedContinue to this website (not recommended).

Link Removed More information

<LI id=errorExpl1>If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting. <LI id=errorExpl2>When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com. <LI id=errorExpl3>If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.
For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

what do I do please?

I've just checked out the link where it says "Continue to this website (not recommended)" and it checks out ok. Just logged in there. Could be a setting in your browser or the certificate on the website (makes a laughing stock of having certificates if it is a Microsoft problem). Is the date correct on your computer?

It's still worth you doing all those things I suggested just in case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back