maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Found this buried in a general article about latest Covid travel rules.

The cost of a quarantine hotel is rising substantially, in a move that will put off those allowed to still travel to the UK from red list countries from coming even more.
From 12 August, the cost for one adult will rise from £1,750 to £2,285, while the additional rate for further adults or children over the age of 11 in the same party will rise from £650 to £1,430. Kids over five will still pay the same rate of £325.

Full article here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/05/what-are-englands-latest-covid-travel-rules

How on earth can they justify this? Ok, so it’s unlikely that motorhomers will end up having to go to quarantine hotels but who knows ……. :unsure:

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
On LBC yesterday, they had a 3* hotelier from Heathrow area, he applied to be on the list of hotels, and had to submit a bid, he bid £850 for 10 days, and was told he was too cheap!

Just obscene profiteering going on, a couple will now be paying over £4,500 for 10 days in a double room - £450 per night?

Appreciate there are some other costs like testing built in, but even so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
£2k is cheap for two weeks in nice hotel, full board, dinner included.
If you can afford to risk going away with a chance of contracting Covid and returning spreading it around and possibly killing hundreds, you can afford quarantine.
Your dreaming. Most are worse than a travelodge with food you'd return at McDonalds. There is certainly nothing 'nice' about them most are shitholes.
Why are you anymore likely to contract covid abroad than in the UK?
They are just making up nonsensical rules without any type of enforcement except for the odd cases where their mates can make money.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Easy way round it.

Instead of flying back to the UK, fly to the nearest airport to Calais, buy a dingy, short hop over the Channel, nice ride into Dover via RNLI then two weeks in a nice hotel at zero cost !

Jobs a good 'un !

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
One of my work colleagues had booked an all inclusive holiday in Mexico (there at moment). While chatting about the work needing covering i said that I wouldn’t dare go abroad at moment as everything was so uncertain and was planning to holiday in GB. He said I was being too cautious (a wimp actually ) and what’s the worse that could happen!

I haven’t spoke to him since he was not due back until a week on Tuesday i think but I don’t think work will allow him the extra time off to quarantine:confused:?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
One of my work colleagues had booked an all inclusive holiday in Mexico (there at moment). While chatting about the work needing covering i said that I wouldn’t dare go abroad at moment as everything was so uncertain and was planning to holiday in GB. He said I was being too cautious (a wimp actually ) and what’s the worse that could happen!

I haven’t spoke to him since he was not due back until a week on Tuesday i think but I don’t think work will allow him the extra time off to quarantine:confused:?
Better to weigh things up before going than get caught out. I think anyone who travelled either thought of the possibility of the goalposts being moved and decided that risking the cost and possible trouble at work was worth it or is a bit thick. I don't know what the policy is now but in the NHS trust I work for being on holiday and then being unavailable for work due to quarantine was seen as grounds for disciplinary action. Your work colleague ouggt to at least have the quarantine time as extra holiday or unpaid leave.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Found this buried in a general article about latest Covid travel rules.

The cost of a quarantine hotel is rising substantially, in a move that will put off those allowed to still travel to the UK from red list countries from coming even more.
From 12 August, the cost for one adult will rise from £1,750 to £2,285, while the additional rate for further adults or children over the age of 11 in the same party will rise from £650 to £1,430. Kids over five will still pay the same rate of £325.

Full article here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/05/what-are-englands-latest-covid-travel-rules

How on earth can they justify this? Ok, so it’s unlikely that motorhomers will end up having to go to quarantine hotels but who knows ……. :unsure:
We know, we have experienced it. Ours was ONLY £2,400 and was total and utter rubbish.
You pays your money you DON'T get a choice.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
On LBC yesterday, they had a 3* hotelier from Heathrow area, he applied to be on the list of hotels, and had to submit a bid, he bid £850 for 10 days, and was told he was too cheap!

Just obscene profiteering going on, a couple will now be paying over £4,500 for 10 days in a double room - £450 per night?

Appreciate there are some other costs like testing built in, but even so.
It's 11 nights. 1st night don't count.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
The costs also include numerous security to ensure you actually comply and keep the population safe.

Not to mention the 24/7 on site medical cover to cater for most healthcare needs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back