Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good evening
Hot water pressure has been slowly getting worse this week and now we get no hot water at all.
Cold is ok but not as good as it used to be.
We dont get any pump noise when the taps are closed so I don't think its a leak anywhere.
Is there a filter that could need cleaning or do I need a new pump?
Thanks,
Lloyd.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If its an 'out of tank' pump it will have a clear plastic filter in the inlet side but if it was blocked it would affect both hot and cold.

If it all taps or one specific tap?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
LPB

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have a truma as shown in attached photo
We have 2 taps and a showerhead and all are the same.
Actually the cold water is also a dribble now, but not completely stopped like the hot.
The pump is inside the tank.
Thanks
Lloyd.
1AA8ABF8-841A-46A9-BA60-9842CE5FF191.jpeg

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I think I would be looking at inlet to pump----- do intank pumps have a filter???? I have never had one!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
You won't get any pump noise when the taps are off because the pump is triggered by a microswitch in the taps. In other words, the cold water supply is NOT under constant pressure as is typical with a pressure sensitive diaphram pump system (with no tap microswitch).

There is a non return valve within or adjacent to the pump which prevents water draining back into the tank. This may be clogged but would affect both hot & cold.

It's possible the dump valve below the boiler is leaking or is open. Or the non return valve at the boiler outlet is leaking via the transparent tube which exits through the floor. Suggest you look under the van for any discharge of water.

OP
OP
LPB

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
The dump valve is ok. No water under the van. Understand about the microswitch they are all working ok
and turning the pump on.
The no return valve, I assume I need to get the pump out of the tank? Is that easy?
Is there a filter on the pump?
How do I take the tap stem off. I tried some time ago as I thought I would clean them, I swivelled them around but couldn't take them off.
I think the problem is the tank end.
Thanks,
Lloyd

OP
OP
LPB

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
No water at all this morning.
Pump still working though. I think it may have had. How do I take it out?
Presumably turn the power off, disconnect the pipe and unscrew the cap and lift it out?
This is what I am seeing:-image.jpg

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Unscrew the cap holding the pump connection and you should be able to withdraw the pump. You can then clean any debris.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
On my 2002 Hymer the pump was suspended from the roof of the tank by a short length of flexible pipe held in place by a couple of jubilee clips. I replaced the jubilee clips cos the pump became detached and fell to the bottom of the tank. From what I remember (18 years ago now) it wasn't a difficult job. I guess I unscrewed the top plate at the outlet to gain access to the connection. I suspect the pump could be extracted via the large circular access hatch once the pipe connection had been disconnected. I guess if the pump connection was faulty, water would be pumped but fall back into the tank.

I don't remember seeing a non return valve so perhaps it is contained within the body of the pump. Are there any Funsters out there who could confirm this.

Have you found the transparent tube yet which Tees off the outlet connection from the boiler and disappears through the floor. Water should not be present in this tube. If water is discharging via this tube then the flow to the hot taps will be affected.

On my van there were a couple of stop-cocks for hot and cold supplies under the kitchen cabinets on the floor (accessible via a hatch). These are for draining down the system for winter layup. Make sure these are fully closed.

PS. Just seen your latest post. As suggested, it looks like the pump can be removed by just unscrewing the top blue hand ring.

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
By removing the top cap on the tank can you see the pump????if so switch it on---- maybe the water is leaking from the outlet of the pump???

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If you need to disconnect power from the pump, just remove the fuse on the EBL marked PUMP. I used to do this during winter layup when I left the taps in the open position.

OP
OP
LPB

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Update
I got the old pump out and decided it was the not sounding good and started looking around for a replacement, earliest delivery was Amazon on Friday.
Phoned Dorset Leisure Centre in Charmouth, which is 6 miles away from Highlands End and they had 1 Reich Twin in stock, slightly more expensive but I would have it in 15 minutes. I got it and the tried to get the jubilee clips off of the pipe connecting the pump to the cap connector - no chance of me doing that on my own with my shoulders so back to the shop and asked for help.
Almost an hour later the man in the shop managed to get it off without damaging the cap connector. Why they were not stainless steel I will never know. Anyway, after paying for the clips and pipe - £1 and he would not take anything for his time and efforts - I came back, fitted it and we are back to normal.

Thanks to everyone for the help, it really is invaluable to know that there is a wealth of knowledge on here that people are keen and willing to share. And a special thank you to the man in Dorset Leisure Centre for his time and efforts, he rescued me today!image.jpg

A picture of the offending jubilee clip below for your entertainment. I will be ordering some stainless steel ones when I get home!

Lloyd

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Well done.
Pop into a local boat chandlers if one is near to you. They will have stainless jubilee clips.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Shame I didn't see this thread earlier I would have advised you to ditch the submersible pump and fit a pressure pump I have just done it on my Hymer. You could still do it and keep the submersible as a spare.

OP
OP
LPB

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Shame I didn't see this thread earlier I would have advised you to ditch the submersible pump and fit a pressure pump I have just done it on my Hymer. You could still do it and keep the submersible as a spare.

I would be interested to know how to do this please Lenny HB.
I assume you might get slightly better pressure?
Thanks,
Lloyd.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back