Hot water pipe forced off Truma Combi 6E (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Just arrived this afternoon on a nice CL in Norfolk, set up, including putting boiler on to HIGH (as I have done many times before.) Water has been heating for approx. 2 hours when I hear a dull 'pop' followed by the sound of running water. Go outside, van has lots of water dripping from n/s sill, near to boiler. The water is warm, so clearly coming from boiler. Lift the bench seat, and behold, the pipe (circled in blue in the photo) has popped off the connection, and water is running INSIDE the bench seat compartment that houses the boiler. Pushed it back on, but loathe to put hot water back on (switched off after event.) At no time did the PRV/drain valve open, so I exercised it open, checked water was draining from underneath the van, then closed it again, including resetting push button.
Before setting off from home, I topped up my water tank, and it overflowed for about 10-15 seconds before I could turn the water off. (I use the modified hozelock connector/cap that allows you to fill it hands free.) I noticed a small dripping from the n/s sill then, but assumed it was just the water from the overflow migrating from the rear o/s and dripping. I stopped twice en-route, and no further dripping was observed.
Any ideas out there? Anybody else experienced similar? I'm tempted to swap the clip on the hose that popped off for a jubilee clip, and just tighten it up, but clearly there is some pressure/overpressure issue going on here.
548F3AE6-BD92-4969-BDB7-8CA10D7C0A32_1_201_a.jpeg
493D290F-AD87-49D6-8AD8-2591075F3BA7.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Those clips are normally better than jubilee clips. The one in the photo is not fitted properly any that could be your problem. The entire clip needs to be at least 2mm down from the end of the pipe to clamp properly.

OP
OP
W
Apr 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Those clips are normally better than jubilee clips. The one in the photo is not fitted properly any that could be your problem. The entire clip needs to be at least 2mm down from the end of the pipe to clamp properly.
I've got a Leatherman, so I'll refit it properly as you suggest.
Am I correct in thinking that the other clear pipe from the T-piece above the pipe that came off vents overboard? It disappears under the compartment and is sealed with mastic. If correct, why wouldn't the water pressure take the other path and dump overboard, rather than pop the pipe off, or have I just been unlucky in that the pipe wasn't connected properly in the first place?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The clear pipe allows air out when the boiler is filling, if water comes out the valve in the T piece is faulty.
I think it just the pipe connection that wasn't on properly.

OP
OP
W
Apr 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
OK, thanks for the quick answers. I was contemplating draining it all down tomorrow, as the CL has got full facilities, and I didn't fancy it popping off again in the middle of the night, but I'll re-seat the clip and hopefully that should sort it. Thanks again

OP
OP
W
Apr 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
.....spoke too soon! There's a steady drip from somewhere, either the hose clip isn't working properly, or it's coming from the outlet from the boiler. Pressure dumped and boiler off.... I'll call the dealership tomorrow.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Did you cut the hose back so the clip had a clean even surface to grip on?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you have a hair drier onboard you could take the pipe off again, give it a good go with the hair drier to soften it, quickly replace it while still hot and put the clip back on.
Soft plastic will form a new seal.
Nothing to lose.

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
I had a similar problem. The same connector failed for me. I removed the factory fitted clip, cut the hose (as the end had hardened and was no longer flexible) and used a standard jubilee clip. I then noticed a similar but smaller bore hose leaking at the bottom of the heater but access wouldn't permit me to do the same so I just put a jubilee clip in addition to the original and that sorted the issue. Whilst I was there I noticed the earth cable had disconnected so redid that!

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
Is the outlet from the boiler to the T-piece a push fit? There appears to be a bit of 'float' on it, and when it's furthest away from the boiler, there's some red paint showing on the pipe?
It is a push fit - you have to pull the inner red piece into the outer white piece to remove but simply push to click to refit.

OP
OP
W
Apr 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
So, one trip to B&Q, a pack of 2 jubilee clips, and Robert's your Mother's Brother! The pipe was plenty flexible and not hardened, (van is only 3 months old....) - The clip originally fitted wasn't up to the job (too weak,) and/or incorrectly fitted.
10 minutes work, including replenishing the water, recommissioning the boiler, and bleeding the air out of the system and it's all go! Thanks to all who offered advice and solutions.
1D47E1DB-0EF9-4B23-A9B4-293C7D2F53A3.jpeg

Mr and Mrs O

Free Member
Dec 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Deposit is paid
Exp
Newbies
You just can't beat a good old fashion jubilee clip!
Note to self keep some in spare box!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back