Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
scotland
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca 656
Exp
hi clever folk,

We have a 2005 CI Carioca 656 with no manual. Trying to fathom how to get hot water and heating out of the blowers? The wee gas fire working but not blowing air around.

Any ideas folks? The pic is of the boiler

Attachments

• 20200708_192344.jpg
    20200708_192344.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 112
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Need a better picture of the label to ID the model.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That looks like an Truma Ultrastore. It does hot water only. Your heating system is completely independent and might even be from a different manufacturer (although probably isn't). It is controlled by remote switches. There are separate ones for mains and electric (although not sure you have electric on this version). So, to get hot water, you will need to fill your water tank, turn on pump and make sure water comes out of the hot tap (it will be cold at this point). Only when this happens, ensure you have a gas supply (check your hob to be sure). Make sure the cowl cover is removed outside. Make sure the gas is turned on at the manifold (no idea where this would be). Now find the Truma Ultrastore gas control and turn on.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
your gas fire "Wee gas fire"! is all you got for heating. you should be able to turn the fan on and hear it running.

Quote!!
Truma Ultraheat Units
It is a duel fuel unit, this means that it runs on 240v mains electric and gas. The Ultra Heat is equipped with a fan that allows the warm air from the heater to be passed around the caravan via a system of pipes. This allows the whole caravan to be kept at a specific temperature.

you should be able to look up the model number and download operating instructions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
whosthatgirl_x

whosthatgirl_x

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
scotland
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca 656
Exp
your gas fire "Wee gas fire"! is all you got for heating. you should be able to turn the fan on and hear it running.

Quote!!
Truma Ultraheat Units
It is a duel fuel unit, this means that it runs on 240v mains electric and gas. The Ultra Heat is equipped with a fan that allows the warm air from the heater to be passed around the caravan via a system of pipes. This allows the whole caravan to be kept at a specific temperature.

you should be able to look up the model number and download operating instructions.
Awww i can't find instuctions anywhere.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Quote!!
Truma Ultraheat Units

That one isn't it is the same as mine, gas only. There is nothing on the label apart from gas info.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
our first ever van many years ago was a Carioca 5, (same vehicle) loved it to bits and the rear bunks were brill for our then small kids.

with regard the heatng, pretty sure we had blown heating as well, have you any outlets?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
That one isn't it is the same as mine, gas only. There is nothing on the label apart from gas info.

i remember the type , yes gas only, unless the electric kit is fitted separately.

i would email Truma customer services with the model number and ask for a pdf copy of the operating instructions

OP
OP
whosthatgirl_x

whosthatgirl_x

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
scotland
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca 656
Exp
Ok so our fan inside the heater isn't working. And still no hot water? Any ideas about water folks? We do have wee air vents around the van but defo no fan working. Main concern now is how to get hot water.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
So, tried all that. Still no hot water. Anything else we can try?

Have you found the controls yet? Have you found the gas manifold? Does the gas hob work? What lights are showing on the controls?

OP
OP
whosthatgirl_x

whosthatgirl_x

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
scotland
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca 656
Exp
Have you found the controls yet? Have you found the gas manifold? Does the gas hob work? What lights are showing on the controls?
Everything we can find. Is there a reset button?

Attachments

• 20200708_225231.jpg
    20200708_225231.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 20200708_225223.jpg
    20200708_225223.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200708_225219.jpg
    20200708_225219.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200708_225216.jpg
    20200708_225216.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
whosthatgirl_x

whosthatgirl_x

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
scotland
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca 656
Exp
Gas hob and gas fire working (altho fan doesnt work) . Plugged into 240v just now so got the button in the middle position. Tried it with gas on and at 50 and 70Ā° withoit joy. Drained system and refilled. Water coming out taps but not heating. Pump active.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Your picture of the boiler control shows it in the off position. Try pressing on the 70C side of the switch.

OP
OP
whosthatgirl_x

whosthatgirl_x

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
scotland
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca 656
Exp
Your picture of the boiler control shows it in the off position. Try pressing on the 70C side of the switch.
Is the middle setting not for running on 240v?? Youtube videos messing with my head lol. If in 70Ā° does the gas need to be on? Really wish we had the instructions šŸ˜•

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Gas hob and gas fire working (altho fan doesnt work) . Plugged into 240v just now so got the button in the middle position. Tried it with gas on and at 50 and 70Ā° withoit joy. Drained system and refilled. Water coming out taps but not heating. Pump active.

It will take about 30 minutes to heat up. Leave in the 70C position. I don't think you have electric heating on your model, so you are reliant on gas. I haven't had one of these with this format control. The previous version I did have had a red light that came on if the burner failed to ignite after 3 or 5 attempts. Most installations with have a gas manifold with taps to turn off individual appliances. It is worth finding.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Is the middle setting not for running on 240v?? Youtube videos messing with my head lol. If in 70Ā° does the gas need to be on? Really wish we had the instructions šŸ˜•

Instructions are available from Truma's website. Typically, they have a separate control panel for electric and gas. Both can be run simultaneously and will halve reheat time if used together. However, there was no reference to 230V on your label that I noticed, which, if true, would mean you'd likely only have the gas control panel installed. The gas switch in the middle means "off". It could mean electric only, if you had it and the electric was turned on.

OP
OP
whosthatgirl_x

whosthatgirl_x

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
scotland
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca 656
Exp
our first ever van many years ago was a Carioca 5, (same vehicle) loved it to bits and the rear bunks were brill for our then small kids.

with regard the heatng, pretty sure we had blown heating as well, have you any outlets?
Yeah we do but the fire isn't blowing. It's heating up but no air so suspect the blower is broken

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yeah we do but the fire isn't blowing. It's heating up but no air so suspect the blower is broken

It may also be a control issue, or just a fuse. These heaters are designed to run without the fan to use less electricity. It may just need to be turned on, if you can find and work out the controls.

OP
OP
whosthatgirl_x

whosthatgirl_x

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
scotland
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca 656
Exp
Instructions are available from Truma's website. Typically, they have a separate control panel for electric and gas. Both can be run simultaneously and will halve reheat time if used together. However, there was no reference to 230V on your label that I noticed, which, if true, would mean you'd likely only have the gas control panel installed. The gas switch in the middle means "off". It could mean electric only, if you had it and the electric was turned on.
Aww ok, tried gas, 70Ā° and ensured gas was operational (fire and cooker working). Made sure the 4 valves under sink were on and left for an hour but still no hot water. BooooĆ². I emailed truma for instructions and advice. The generic email states they'll be in touch in a few days. Can't help but think its user error but tried all the combinations you've all suggested and still no hot water. Tmoro I'll check the fuses but failing that, I'm stumped.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Aww ok, tried gas, 70Ā° and ensured gas was operational (fire and cooker working). Made sure the 4 valves under sink were on and left for an hour but still no hot water. BooooĆ². I emailed truma for instructions and advice. The generic email states they'll be in touch in a few days. Can't help but think its user error but tried all the combinations you've all suggested and still no hot water. Tmoro I'll check the fuses but failing that, I'm stumped.

There may be a fault. Do you see any red lights or similar on the control panel? There could also be a broken fuse (which would prevent any red lights showing). Not that I'm sure that the new version even has a red light to show lighting failure.

OP
OP
whosthatgirl_x

whosthatgirl_x

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
scotland
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca 656
Exp
There may be a fault. Do you see any red lights or similar on the control panel? There could also be a broken fuse (which would prevent any red lights showing). Not that I'm sure that the new version even has a red light to show lighting failure.
No lights, which seems odd now after reading more. No red. No green. Hmmm anyway, taken out the pcb and removed 1.6a fuse. We will change this in the morning and try that. Otherwise, we have no clue what to try next. We just wanna go a wee trip now! Lol

Attachments

• 20200709_011904.jpg
    20200709_011904.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 39
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
OP
OP
whosthatgirl_x

whosthatgirl_x

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
scotland
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca 656
Exp
You have the manual for the boiler.....thatā€™s all the instructions you would have received for the boiler from new.
Balls. Ok, going to find a replacement 1.6a fuse to try. Failing that, we will travel without hot water. Thanks everyone for all your help x

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
whosthatgirl_x

Before you change the 1.6A glass fuse, Have you got 12v power coming into to the boiler control?

Are all your other 12v Systems in the van working?

There could be another fuse in your main fuse box that supplies the boiler check there if you have no 12v after you check for 12v as above.

Iā€™d also check every fuse in the fuse box as it could be where you air blower fault lies too.

A048DDA2-880C-48D4-B3C9-1C5D9A05B1F1.jpeg

Put a multi meter set on v dc across the + and - cable connecting at the Pcb and see what you have, should be in excess of 12v

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back