Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
my rv is in travel world having some work done. when i got the rv from new the only way to heat the water was by gas i have spoke to simon at tw and he tells me it is danderus to put a hot rod in is this true?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Lyndon never heard that before, plenty of people fit them and mine has one as standard from Winnebago.

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
my rv is in travel world having some work done. when i got the rv from new the only way to heat the water was by gas i have spoke to simon at tw and he tells me it is danderus to put a hot rod in is this true?

that's an odd remark from Simon.. don't know how it could be dangerous, :RollEyes:

I fitted one two years ago.. saves a lot of LPG

:thumb:

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

It depends on your interpretation of dangerous!
You're not going to blow up for a start.
What Simon probably meant, and should have explained better, is that in the Atwood and Suburban water heaters, there is a sacrificial annode rod (if you look at your water heater, its behing the large 1" drain plug nut at the bottom/centre of the boiler end plate).
To fit a HOTROD 110v heater, you unscrew the annode rod and screw in the HOTROD in its place.
The "upside" is being able to heat water using the electric that you're paying for anyway.
The "downside" is that remeoving the annode rod means that if you get a crack in the ceramic cooating which coats the inside of the boiler, the metal casing WILL corode a lot faster and eventually perforate leading to leaks.
To pays your money and you takes your chioice!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Strange he should say that, they are an optional extra, you already have an indicator
light for it in your control panel.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It depends on your interpretation of dangerous!
You're not going to blow up for a start.
What Simon probably meant, and should have explained better, is that in the Atwood and Suburban water heaters, there is a sacrificial annode rod (if you look at your water heater, its behing the large 1" drain plug nut at the bottom/centre of the boiler end plate).
To fit a HOTROD 110v heater, you unscrew the annode rod and screw in the HOTROD in its place.
The "upside" is being able to heat water using the electric that you're paying for anyway.
The "downside" is that remeoving the annode rod means that if you get a crack in the ceramic cooating which coats the inside of the boiler, the metal casing WILL corode a lot faster and eventually perforate leading to leaks.
To pays your money and you takes your chioice!

My heater came fitted with a sacrificial anode ring around the base and a spare .. so that theory doesn't hold true for all heaters..

I forget the name of it , Linda supplied it .. Hotrod is used generically, ( same as Hoover is used to refer to vacuum cleaners,) when referring to water heaters, perhaps Hotrod doesn't have one ?

Jim

OP
OP
LyndonRV

LyndonRV

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
simon told me if thay have any rv in with a hot rod fitted thay take it out and throw it away does any body now of any one ho can fit one for me

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
My heater came fitted with a sacrificial anode ring around the base and a spare ..Jim

That's a new one one me. only ever seen the rods of 1" dia X 6" long.
Is yours some sort of ring around the back of the nut? through which you can also insert a Hotrod?

OP
OP
LyndonRV

LyndonRV

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
my rv is a holiday rambler arista 310 2008

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's a new one one me. only ever seen the rods of 1" dia X 6" long.
Is yours some sort of ring around the back of the nut? through which you can also insert a Hotrod?

Exactly .. the heater element goes through the ring, so it must be a smaller dia than the 'Hotrod'

As I recall the heater element's longer than 6" and about 1/2" dia

Linda will have full details ..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
simon told me if thay have any rv in with a hot rod fitted thay take it out and throw it away

Yea right and RV's do 20mpg, sounds like bulls**t to me.

I can just see a dealer spending time removing a hotrod on the off chance that somewhere down the line it's going to cause trouble.

Olley

Last edited:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Exactly .. the heater element goes through the ring, so it must be a smaller dia than the 'Hotrod'

As I recall the heater element's longer than 6" and about 1/2" dia

Linda will have full details ..

Oye Linda!!!:ROFLMAO:
Come on, spill the beans, I definately want one of these.::bigsmile:
Best of both worlds.::bigsmile:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
My heater came fitted with a sacrificial anode ring around the base and a spare .. so that theory doesn't hold true for all heaters..

I forget the name of it , Linda supplied it .. Hotrod is used generically, ( same as Hoover is used to refer to vacuum cleaners,) when referring to water heaters, perhaps Hotrod doesn't have one ?

Jim

If I recall, you have the Lightning rod Jim....from the feedback I have received, easier to install than the Hott Rod..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If I recall, you have the Lightning rod Jim....from the feedback I have received, easier to install than the Hott Rod..

Thanks Linda ..

That's the one.. you can see the anode ring on the brass fitting, it comes with two different sized fitting bushes.. the anode ring can be used from the spare bush.

Takes about 15 mins to fit .. wiring the 110v supply takes a bit longer :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back