Hosing down the van

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Decmac, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Decmac

Decmac

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,
    Answer me this please: Is it of any benefit to hose down the van after a week or so being mainly parked near the sea. Have done this a few times (on different occasions, may I add), also the underbody of the van, so as to remove salt deposits. From time to time I have met people who said it is worth doing if you have a new van or nearly new. Do you really think it is worth it? Or would it be better to use a power sprayer instead of a hose. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.:Cool:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Ratings:
    +7,221
    If the van is kept for a long time near the sea it would be a good idea to do a bit of wax oil underneath and spray WD40 around the engine compartment.

Otherwise do give it a good wash with fresh water and plenty of it.

Salty air is highly corrosive and can cause rust and other problems.

Peter

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Ratings:
    +76,111
    Living a few hundred yards from the sea,, I always wash mine once a fotnight even when not being used,

And Preasure wash after each run/holiday..

Salt in the air does no favours to gell coat or paintwork.

And although a long borring job I always polish before the onset of winter as well,, even my cars.

And give under the wheel arches a good blast now and then. Be suprised how much muck gets caught up on the little edges and holds the damp..

Well I get her in doors to do it.. :winky::ROFLMAO:

4. Decmac

Decmac

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you both for the information. I suppose it is commonsense really where salty air is concerned. Recently I have noticed in places near the sea that certain things like railings and the like are corroded very badly. Also I have heard in the past that you should never buy and previously owned car from a person who lives in a seaside town or village, because of the danger of rust. Once again thanks for the info. Any more comments or suggestions from others is also welcome on this topic.:Cool:

5. Tony Lee

Tony Lee

Ratings:
    +1
    or any vehicle driven on roads where salt is used to get rid of ice.

6. DESCO

DESCO

Ratings:
    +271
    I fully agree with hoseing down the van, but myself would not use a pressure washer. I have seen the result of over use, and sealant removed by the force of the water.:Eeek: this caused more problems possibly than the salt.

Dave:thumb:

7. gdf

gdf

Ratings:
    +0
    Power Wash

I don't think I'd use a power wash as I'm fairly sure that the label stuck on the windscreen of my new RollerTeam says don't use one - trouble is it's in Italian.

8. Decmac

Decmac

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for advice

Re hosing down the van, thanks to everyone who replied, all very important to know and also not to use a power hose on it either. Feel free to reply with your thoughts to anyone else who hasn't contributed but who may like to do so - Decmac:thumb:

9. ips

ips

Ratings:
    +3
    Well my "Chausson" owners manual states that waranty is void if a pressure washer has been used at any time. So its hose pipe and microfibre mit for me. ::bigsmile:

10. jezport

jezport Funster

Ratings:
    +3,102
    I do motorhome valeting, and do not use a pressure washer. It is hard work to clean a large van which has gone green over winter by hand, but I would never use a pressure washer as they can cause too much damage