Hosing down the van (1 Viewer)

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Hi all,
Answer me this please: Is it of any benefit to hose down the van after a week or so being mainly parked near the sea. Have done this a few times (on different occasions, may I add), also the underbody of the van, so as to remove salt deposits. From time to time I have met people who said it is worth doing if you have a new van or nearly new. Do you really think it is worth it? Or would it be better to use a power sprayer instead of a hose. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.:Cool:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If the van is kept for a long time near the sea it would be a good idea to do a bit of wax oil underneath and spray WD40 around the engine compartment.

Otherwise do give it a good wash with fresh water and plenty of it.

Salty air is highly corrosive and can cause rust and other problems.

Peter

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Living a few hundred yards from the sea,, I always wash mine once a fotnight even when not being used,

And Preasure wash after each run/holiday..

Salt in the air does no favours to gell coat or paintwork.

And although a long borring job I always polish before the onset of winter as well,, even my cars.

And give under the wheel arches a good blast now and then. Be suprised how much muck gets caught up on the little edges and holds the damp..

Well I get her in doors to do it.. :winky::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Thank you both for the information. I suppose it is commonsense really where salty air is concerned. Recently I have noticed in places near the sea that certain things like railings and the like are corroded very badly. Also I have heard in the past that you should never buy and previously owned car from a person who lives in a seaside town or village, because of the danger of rust. Once again thanks for the info. Any more comments or suggestions from others is also welcome on this topic.:Cool:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Also I have heard in the past that you should never buy and previously owned car from a person who lives in a seaside town or village,

or any vehicle driven on roads where salt is used to get rid of ice.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I fully agree with hoseing down the van, but myself would not use a pressure washer. I have seen the result of over use, and sealant removed by the force of the water.:Eeek: this caused more problems possibly than the salt.

Dave:thumb:

gdf

Free Member
May 14, 2009
Funster No
Power Wash

I don't think I'd use a power wash as I'm fairly sure that the label stuck on the windscreen of my new RollerTeam says don't use one - trouble is it's in Italian.

OP
OP
D

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Thanks for advice

Re hosing down the van, thanks to everyone who replied, all very important to know and also not to use a power hose on it either. Feel free to reply with your thoughts to anyone else who hasn't contributed but who may like to do so - Decmac:thumb:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Well my "Chausson" owners manual states that waranty is void if a pressure washer has been used at any time. So its hose pipe and microfibre mit for me. ::bigsmile:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I do motorhome valeting, and do not use a pressure washer. It is hard work to clean a large van which has gone green over winter by hand, but I would never use a pressure washer as they can cause too much damage

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back