Hosepipe query?? (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We have about 30m of hose.

We have that much as I did carry 20m and then last time out it was too short by 1m and I couldn't get closer to the tap. Took me ages trying to squirt the bloody water into the filler hole.

For those times when we really aren't close enough I use an aquaroll and a submersible pump to get it into the motorhome powered from the cigarette lighter by the door.

We have a massive garage and not much payload so the hose is no problem as it isn't that heavy and we have lots of spare room. We use the aquaroll to carry extra water too when needed.

I did think of a watering can but we never use site showers and I would need at least 10 trips for a full tank.

Each to their own though and you have to find what works for you.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
You can get a small 'rotary' hand pump which would do the job, not sure if they would be suitable to use for 'drinking' water but OK for washing - up/showers etc.,

There are 'Stainless Steel' - food grade - ones used in the wineries but they fairly large and 'cost a bomb'.

Robert

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
As with others variety of sizes 2m 10m 30m of layflat food grade. Lots of connectors and things, including a gardena meter. The obligatory folding water can (rarely used). 2 folding buckets 10 l plastic, fill van with whale pump. The pump is also used to tranfer from an aquaroll 40l taken in toad when used. What else do you need, a tank bigger than 65l that overflows into the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
As with others variety of sizes 2m 10m 30m of layflat food grade. Lots of connectors and things, including a gardena meter. The obligatory folding water can (rarely used). 2 folding buckets 10 l plastic, fill van with whale pump. The pump is also used to tranfer from an aquaroll 40l taken in toad when used. What else do you need, a tank bigger than 65l that overflows into the van.
My tank’s 140 litres and doesn’t over flow.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Whatever length of hose you get, Sod will conspire to make sure it's always a few inches short! Get a short one. That will suffice in most circumstances. If not, you can always borrow form someone proud to show-off their 'collection'.
I also take two watering cans. These will overcome any distance. I take two for balance. They are cheap plastic, so lightweight, and have never been used for anything else. I don't bother with 'food grade'. If you worry about that kind of thing, change them more frequently. Always keep them away from sunlight - that's what the bugs need to survive.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
It’s very rude to ask details about ones hose!!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I think if you've been a caravan owner for many years and then change to a motorhome, you will find that things are different. I would suggest seeing how you go before you get bogged down with hosepipes you think you need.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
You can always borrow a longer one or an extension from a friendly neighbour. After all we all enjoy the same hobby and it might lead to making a new friend to chat to.?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Buy a watering can. Ours is ten litres and I top up every couple of days. Don’t need to worry about hose pipes, don’t need to move moho. ?
Same here,tried hosepipes but never in a hurry and usually in the sunshine so 10 mins with the watering can is a bit of healthy exercise..Only carry a 14 litre watering can now..BUSBY.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It has been suggested I carry string for any emergency repairs. Can anyone suggest an appropriate length please?

Grapheneman

Free Member
Sep 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Although new to Motorhoming I've found that as well as a hose 2 x Yellowstone 15L Expandable Water Carriers with Taps are excellent. They do the same job as watering cans (although a funnel / homemade funnel cut from a plastic bottle may be required). Additionally for those who like to travel light one or two of these can be filled prior to leaving for brews etc but leaving the MH's water tank empty.
1582317483374.png
1582317483374.png

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It has been suggested I carry string for any emergency repairs. Can anyone suggest an appropriate length please?

I would suggest a wide selection of lengths and types, filling all spare lockers, to cover all possible eventualities ---- Oh and never worry about being overloaded :Eeek: :Eeek: :whistle2:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Why do you need water? I don’t wash, I don’t cook, only drink cans of pop. Beware it is the devils juice he going to poison all of you!?

I use the sites facilities. Save the world wash once a week?

Oct 31, 2019
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
“ I’m a newbie”
Cola
We’re newbies so interesting to read. We bought a nice little blue flat hose on a reel with nice selection of fittings. Watering can sounds good idea, but trying to limit volume of stuff. Any collapsible watering cans out there?
Hi Leggy
have a look at the Colapz range they do watering cans buckets and waste hose.

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I carry a 50ft flat hose but I find it a bit of a pain to use and I think I’ll remove it before my next trip. I use one of these, my fw tank is only 66litres so only 3 trips to the tap when empty :
<Broken link removed>

I managed to get a new one, they appear every so often. Beauty of it is that it folds flat so takes up very little storage space, also useful for generating hot water when in hot countries, just leave out in the sun!

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
A short piece of plastic waste pipe about 40mms dia elbow to suit and an 8 ltr bottle of water from the supermarket. Once used save bottle and refill. food quality and free, change when necessary. Simples.+ A short hose and adapters for when you can get close to a tap.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have a bit of hose in the van and a water contanor i have very rarely Ben stuck for water usualy gust carry water to the van or get next to the tap
bill

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We've found it takes a bit of time to get the water thing right for you and the way you travel - I'd recommend just starting with the basics....don't spend too much money on accessories until you've had time to find what works for you.

Our previous MH (our first one) had a Whale water system which meant you had to either use a hose with a special Whale adapter or a Whale pump - the MH came with the pump but not a hose so we bought an Aquaroll off ebay and a Whale hose and carried both with us. It worked ok: when we were within reach of a tap we used the hose, and when we weren't we used the Aquaroll. But storing the Aquaroll was a pain because the only place it would fit was in the shower, so one trip we decided to not take it with us.....which was fine at aires because we could get close to a tap, but some more basic campsites don't have a motorhome service point and it wasn't always easy to get close enough to the tap. So we bought a 15m expanding hose from Aldi to use as an extension and I can't remember any situations where that wasn't long enough. But the one problem we still had were taps that had hoses permanently attached- for those we had to take the hose in through the window and fill via the tank inspection hatch.

We've just changed out MH so its time to learn all over again....we now just have the 15m expanding hose plus a watering can.....we'll see how we go with those before we start buying any extra stuff.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
85 gallons with a watering can. Bloody hell that’s half a days work. :rofl:

I carry loads of hose, have helped many 5m people over the years and our tank, overflows onto the ground. :gum:

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have a water turbine that fits on the chuck of my hand drill makes a great water pump for drawing from a bucket or container. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiLu7fZ4vLnAhWCse0KHfCvCjQYABAFGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_33u7FKVD4STu957cthZ1CUtc1VKQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwicva_Z4vLnAhXZUhUIHXyaAkkQwg96BAgIEAs&adurl=
works for me.

May 19, 2018
Funster No
I've got a 15m hozelock hose on a reel, with the normal click fit tap fitting plus one of the fittings with a thumb screw jubilee clip. If I find a site fitting that's not standard I remove it and use the thumb screw fitting to fill up. Not had any problems so far.
I'm not worried about food grade hoses, money for nothing IMHO. The waters not in there long enough for the plastic to leach into it. We have a 100 litre tank so a watering can would be hard work.

Jun 8, 2015
Honiton,Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Since 2014
We’re newbies so interesting to read. We bought a nice little blue flat hose on a reel with nice selection of fittings. Watering can sounds good idea, but trying to limit volume of stuff. Any collapsible watering cans out there?
We have had one of these for the past 3 years and find it invaluable....squashes flat and is easy to carry 12litres of water.
We replace the cap with one of those flexible spouts you get on a petrol can, or from garden centres.

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
100ft expandable hose. Shrinks down and bundles into a laundry bag. No kinks. Also carry about 15ft of ordinary hose in case of expandable hose failure or low water pressure, only needed once. Also a selection of connectors including a universal one for those annoying push button tap with no thread.
With a 130l tank we can go at least three days before filling and I cant imagine doing that with a watering can.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back