Hosepipe ban at caravan clubsite. (1 Viewer)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I hear just what you are saying but I have seen the other side of this.

We have arrived at sites at what appears to be their busy time with up to half a dozen campers booking in at the same time and silly idiots at our side of the counter asking all sorts of silly questions like where is the best pub or the nearest petrol station and similar stupid questions, perfectly acceptable if asked when the office is quiet but not when there is a queue.

We have also seen people arriving before noon when the instructions are quite clear not to do so, often this has caused severe traffic jams on the approach road and site gateway and I have seen some of the guilty get real stroppy with the wardens.

I have seen an odd warden that has gone power crazy but in the main they are saints to put up with what they have to day after day,please remember you only see a wee fraction of what the minority of idiots throw at them.

As for favouring caravans over motorhomes we have done both now and just returned to caravanning and I have just not seen any difference from site wardens or other campers.

P.s. up to press we have used CC and CandCC sites widely but have now learned the error of our ways and prefer CL and CLS sites purely on economic grounds and reduced numbers of daft campers.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I always use Caravan Club sites and have never come across a stroppy warden - just the opposite, in fact.

They have always gone out of their way to help if I've had any problems, wanted to change pitch because of bothersome neighbours etc.

At Longleat a couple of years ago, they went out of their way to let me know they'd had a cancellation when I asked to stay a couple of extra days.

Must be the way I smile at them :winky:

My experience as well.... never had a grumpy warden experience. By the way the warden at Cheltenham Racecourse is one of the kindest guys you could ever meet (and has cocker spaniels!).

I stayed at Tewkesbury with some trepidation as I'd heard talk of "job's worth" wardens and was warmly welcomed. No sign of any problems.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I've not had any problems at CC sites any stayed on plenty this year. Slightly worried now though as I'm heading to Morn Hill next week on my way to Cornwall :cry:

Just say this when booking in........'We had to see the place for ourselves for a night, your name has gone viral over the internet'

(then wait until he proudly smiles, thinking it is positive) Then add 'They are comparing you to Adolf Hitler at Moron Hill...'

Worth a laugh anyway - have a good time in cornwall......and if you do have the 'Funster Urge' to say that - report in on his reaction!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EJB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Suffolk (by choice)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1+
We have used the CC for very many years in Caravans and Motorhomes.
Never have we encountered a warden who was less than pleasant......however we have seen a fair few 'customers' who were totally unpleasant.
Wardens don't make the rules!

PS. Well said Buttons:winky:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
In 35years in caravans and motorhomes I have only encountered 2 unpleasant wardens, on in the CC and one in the C&CC. Everyone is allowed a bad day!

That said, there have been some CC rules that I have not much liked, eg the Blackpool site who would not allow us to pich a pup tent for our daughter to sleep in on the patch of grass behing the van - insiting it had to be on the pitch itself, ie on the stones of the hardstanding.

Another one was the site who - when we arrived at 5.45 - had closed down his computer system for the day, not to be opened again until 9 the next morning. This meant that - since we were leaving at 8 the next morning to catch a ferry we could not pay by card and had to use cash. Somehow I cannot imaging this on any camp site on the continent!

But we were told about them nicely!

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Another one was the site who - when we arrived at 5.45 - had closed down his computer system for the day, not to be opened again until 9 the next morning. This meant that - since we were leaving at 8 the next morning to catch a ferry we could not pay by card and had to use cash. Somehow I cannot imaging this on any camp site on the continent!

But we were told about them nicely!

Oh believe me I stayed on several sites in Europe with even more ridiculous rules and employees who would have made the Third Reich proud with their rudeness and bad attitude. :Eeek:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Weve camped, caravaned and now motorhome, out experience is that there are some idiots out there, you get them at garages cafes shops etc etc, campsites are no different. C&C sites, do tend to have more than their share of them though, which is why this year we did niot renew our membership.
Our "OPINION", is that the wardens at C&CC sites are a little more friendly and helpfull, but we are fairly tolerant until provoked.
On our recent trip, the sites and CS's we visited, were all very good, although one site was hilarious in the number of DONT and CANT notices it dispayed everywhere. The grass was cut with scissors, the paths swept, the hedges trimmed.....and the campers absent:ROFLMAO:, we only needed an overnight stop due to a cock up (a £17 cock up:whatthe:), but we'd hate to be a camper with kids yanking up at this stalag.
Some of the managers/wardens should,be shown a little DVD of a family travelling to the site, getting lost, stuck in traffic, partner moaning, kids sulking, dog stinking, tired,.hungry......and at journeys end, they meet a cross between Mr Fletcher (porridge) Rigsby and Victor Meldrew, to be honest, its a wonder that more site managers do not end up in their own permanent pitch on site:ROFLMAO:.
As with other posters, i see campers who are also part of the problem. They must play a game on the way to the site, "See who can delay booking in the longest" followed by stupid question attempts, asking for facilities that they could have found out were not available prior to arriving, and alienating themselves from the rest of the community by asking for information that can wait until the kettle has boiled at least.

One thing, and its a VERY telling thing, we have been landrover enthusiast;s for years, and there is a thing called the "landy wave" with which you greet other drivers on the road. this we were told, is also done by MH owners.
We would like to report, that on our recent trip, we were amazed that probably 90% of other MH's waved,.........MUCH MUCH more than the landy fraternity.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oh believe me I stayed on several sites in Europe with even more ridiculous rules and employees who would have made the Third Reich proud with their rudeness and bad attitude. :Eeek:

Also been on the receiving end ..

I got a bollocking from a Stellplatze Fuhrer for daring to dump my tanks at 9am on a Sunday morning ,... :RollEyes:

apparently I woke up half the Stellplatze manoeuvring into the dump station.... :roflmto:

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Not exactly on the same thread here but i used to use the caravan club quite a bit but i now feel that it doesnt cater for people touring anymore. as soon as the season starts. all the club sites get booked up at weekends by people, who think we will decide at the time wether we are going to go that weekend. i live in derbyshire and i have only been able to get on the chatsworth site once in the last five years. the camping and caravaning club has a better system where you have to pay a deposit.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Always takes two to make an argument, they have rules and you want to flaunt these rules. They have an area for trailers and a place to fill motorhomes.
You want to lock your trailor to a tree or your van instead of using there area. You want to run a hose across public areas creating a hazard. how is this the wardens fault.:Doh:

While I hear what you say CC site rules are listed in the book - if special rules are applicable to any particular site - and I can appreciate there could be a need for this - then they should be made obvious on arrival by the recieving person not waiting for people to break them so that you can have a go which too many wardens seem to take delight in doing. If there is a separate trailer park then on arrival it should be advised - if there is a hosepipe ban then again on arrival you should be advised to fill up as hosepipes are not permitted. In life I have seldom found people who go all out to break rules but many who break them as they are not aware of them. Its strange though we have been camping and caravaning in its many forms now for 48 years and the only wardens / managers who I have ever found aggressive or obnoxious have been CC and you can imagine we have been on many thousands of sites in that time. I would also point out that many have become personal friends.

As to this particular case we have only one side of the story but it sadly does seem only too familiar of CC wardens with poor people skills.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Not exactly on the same thread here but i used to use the caravan club quite a bit but i now feel that it doesnt cater for people touring anymore. as soon as the season starts. all the club sites get booked up at weekends by people, who think we will decide at the time wether we are going to go that weekend. i live in derbyshire and i have only been able to get on the chatsworth site once in the last five years. the camping and caravaning club has a better system where you have to pay a deposit.

Chatsworth CC was our very first night in the MH. The warden was very helpful especially as we were complete greenhorns. We only stayed the one night mid week but thoroughly enjoyed. One thing that did piss me off was the numpties who slammed their hab doors at all hours. As me old ma used to say 'nowt na queer as fowk'.:roflmto:

Apparently the best day to arrive there is Sunday when all the weekenders have gone, and stay over the week days if you want to get in.:thumb:

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Never had a problem with any CC staff always been helpfull, don`t tar them all with the same brush or drive a wedge further in the them and us debate, if said chap keeps being a prat then he will be gone you know what they say give them enough rope and they will hang them selfs :thumb: Gray.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Well I arrived at Morn Hill yesterday and have so far met and chatted to 7 of the wardens - 3 male and 4 female and all have been more than helpful and pleasant. The only rude and arrogant people we've encountered have been other campers :Doh:

Viclanc

Free Member
Jul 24, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Same problem at Sandringham

Hi. At Sandringham CC site the obnoxious warden objected to refilling water at MH service point as hose went across the pathway. Tap to MH about three feet away and my attendance to warn any likely passers by.

He did not see a problem with the calorgas tanker refilling the site tanks at the same time a short way away with 4 inch filler hose stretched several yards across the same pathway with people walking over it.

There is little doubt in my mind that a number of CC wardens are anti-Motorhomes and/or over-inflated with their own presumed self-importance.

Vic

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If only the Brighton CC site were by the pier! - it's about half a mile from the marina, which is ? a mile from the pier! LOL :roflmto:

Have to say, every CC site we've stayed on has had friendly wardens, but we haven't been to Morn Hill of course !

But I would agree, it's surely only basic common courtesy to say Excuse me, I wonder if you'd mind .... rather than Oy you, this is banned .....

And I agree with the comment about Hitlers on sites abroad - only met one such, in Provence - all camping gear and tent loaded up on the Blackbird, 9 am, fully leathered and 40 degrees, went in to pay only to be told we should have paid the night before if we wanted to leave and she couldn't possibly do it right now. I started to put my card back in my purse as I said with a sigh and a smile - Well - I don't mind either way - I haven't been in this office since we arrived a fortnight ago and didn't see the SMALL notice INSIDE the office door (ie half a sheet of A4 laminated and sellotaped on) on arrival, so please yourself, we are leaving right now anyway; the barrier won't be a prob as we can quite easily ride straight round this end of it ......

Record suddenly changed, all smiles as she took my plastic !! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back