Hosepipe ban at caravan clubsite. (1 Viewer)

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Has anyone encountered a ban on filling your van with water with a hosepipe? We attended the Caravan Club site at Morn Hill, Winchester and were confronted by what I consider to be the rudest site warden that I have ever met. The confrontation started when I secured my car trailer via a plastic covered hauser around a tree adjacent to my pitch. He proudly announced that "this is the Caravan Club and we don't do that kind of thing here"! He then suggested that I put the trailer in a place that wasn't secure, at which point I reminded him that my trailer has a value of £1800 and I would prefer to attach it to my vehicle for security. A short while later I was starting to fill my water tank via my hose when our friendly campsite warden reappeared to tell me that a hosepipe is a trip hazard and If I wished to fill my water tank. I would have to take my motorhome to the Motorhome service point. I reminded him that my trailer was now attached to the wheel of the motorhome and this would at the very least inconvenient. He then rather sarcastically suggested I use a watering can.
At this point I asked if it was possible to get a full refund at which he replied "Oh yes" and walked away.
I spoke to my wife and told her we were leaving but she made an attempt to smooth things over and even offered to stand by the hose pipe and make sure that nobody tripped over it.....this offer was met with abuse with totally unprovoked verbal aggression. My conclusion to all of this is that Motorhomes/campervans are not welcome at caravan club sites.
Am I the only one that has found thiis or has anyone else had similar problems.
Adrian.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi i feel this goes on all too often although never had a problem (yet)
you give someone who is basically a parking attendant a little more responsibility and the power goes to their heads and they seem to turn into little hitlers with no logical reasoning and the way they expect things to be done is the only way to do it without even thinking about what they are suggesting.
the caravan club seems to employ caravanners who either could never afford a motorhome or just have the mind set that a caravan is the be all and end all of mobile holidaying

needless to say it is the CARAVAN CLUB not a motorhome club and some members refuse to accept that a motorhome is basically a caravan and a tow vehicle in one

OP
OP
Movin' on

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks for your comments, I spent ten years in the Army and served in units with less diiscipline than this guy dishes out
Adrian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I've not had any problems at CC sites any stayed on plenty this year. Slightly worried now though as I'm heading to Morn Hill next week on my way to Cornwall :cry:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have stayed on many C C sites and have always felt welcome, we are always asked if we need water and they point out on their map where the MSP is and suggesting if we need to to fill before we park, we do use these points as we find it much easier for emptying waste as well as refilling. We are also usually shown which pitches will be the most suitable ie hard standing, or well drained.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
No worries Brian, the complaint went in and our money was refunded in full.
Adrian.

Who did you complain to? Just getting the details so I'm armed for when I go :Eeek: Have just reduced my stay by 2 days. Thought it seemed odd that this was one of the only sites not booked up :Sad:

OP
OP
Movin' on

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Who did you complain to? Just getting the details so I'm armed for when I go :Eeek: Have just reduced my stay by 2 days. Thought it seemed odd that this was one of the only sites not booked up :Sad:
We complained directly to the Caravan Club via email, that was two days ago but as yet we havn't had a response. Incidentally, when we asked for the wardens name, they refused to give it and we had to look for it on their signs.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
We complained directly to the Caravan Club via email, that was two days ago but as yet we havn't had a response. Incidentally, when we asked for the wardens name, they refused to give it and we had to look for it on their signs.

I get it so the site refunded you. Must say I had a wee whinge via email about one of their sites in the Lakes and it took several reminders for them to get back to me and then they gave me some lame ass excuse.
Only site I'd heard neagtive comments about regarding motorhomes was Blackpool and it was the Wardens at Warwick RC who passed that info on.

OP
OP
Movin' on

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
We had a problem with this site last year when they tried to make us take up a carpet in the awning. I explained that it was sold to us at a motorhome show as a breathable carpet and the warden reluctanly let us keep it down but he wasn't happy.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
We had a problem with this site last year when they tried to make us take up a carpet in the awning. I explained that it was sold to us at a motorhome show as a breathable carpet and the warden reluctanly let us keep it down but he wasn't happy.

I'm reeeally looking forward to my holiday now....not :cry:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:cry: sorry to be negative,,, you wont get a reply / responce from the cc,, if im right this is the same warden / hittler that was at longleat cc site and he did the same thing about the hose there,only he told one m/h er the hose was too long and ether cut it shorter or roll it up and use it,,quite comicall as it was a food layflat type :ROFLMAO: what a berk ?? he got the boot from there too and he and wife were at tintagell when i was there,, rude is not the word for the pair of them ,,the gsm would learn some new words from them ??? the only saving face for the guy at longleat was 3 of us heard his rendission to the m/h owner and backed him up by email as i dont think the cc belived him,,so the cc,s policy must be just to move the arround if they get complaints about them ,or they have friends at the top ??? it took the cc 4 months to email us the m/h only took 2 days ??

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Then complain and keep complaining until you get an apology and preferably a refund.

Absolutely no point Brian..
I can tell you what will happen.

Adrian will end up getting banned from the CC same as me ( Yes, I do still have the letter somewhere. Apparently 'my type' is not wanted in the CC as I complained 'too vociferously'

The nasty jumped up oiks who run CC and their hilter youth rejects who run a good many of their sites really do need to br made aware that without members they are nothing.. and members are dwindling do to repeated attacks on site users by warders ( not a spelling mistake ) such as the one you had the misfortune to encounter Adrian

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
This all very interesting as i live within a few miles of morn hill, and have friends who use it for short breaks, have always heard good stuff about this site.

However why would anybody go back if the service is bad talk with your feet and stay away or ( Sorry ) keep. "movin on".:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We have been members of the CC for years, and prefer to use CLs as the owners have a more vested interest in keeping the customers happy as they would soon be out of buisness.

If you come to this area again can i recomend this site, its 20 mins ish further on down the m27 but well worth the trip especially if you like a bit of fishing, there is a bit of a track up to the site but plenty of room once there and the owners wont ban anything, go out of their way if they can to help.

Link Removed :thumb:
We live in a great part of the UK please dont let one person spoil your travels.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's a shame that people are like that.

I am sure that when he started the job he was very friendly.

I am no psychologist but something seems to afflict people once they have been in a job for a while.

In my experience the worse affected are Caravan Club wardens, GP receptionists and Court ushers.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We have stayed on many C C sites and have always felt welcome, we are always asked if we need water and they point out on their map where the MSP is and suggesting if we need to to fill before we park, we do use these points as we find it much easier for emptying waste as well as refilling. We are also usually shown which pitches will be the most suitable ie hard standing, or well drained.
Our experience as well, though we have not used a lot. No apparent anti-MH attitude on any, in fact quite a large percentage of pitches have been occupied by MH's.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I always use Caravan Club sites and have never come across a stroppy warden - just the opposite, in fact.

They have always gone out of their way to help if I've had any problems, wanted to change pitch because of bothersome neighbours etc.

At Longleat a couple of years ago, they went out of their way to let me know they'd had a cancellation when I asked to stay a couple of extra days.

Must be the way I smile at them :winky:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
my last motorhome was a bit of a dog,but i loved it,i could park it anywere and not worry about it getting nicked,i went down to brighton for a weekend fishing trip and decided to park my motorhome for the duration in the caravan club site by brighton pier.
when i got there the warden was helpfull,and just said find a pitch and come back to the office,so driveing around the site i could see the tuggers looking at my dog kennel and thinking please dont park next to me.
and i spot a pitch right between 2 brand new caravans and thats where i parked, the owners never said a word,but i see that they were not happy,as i left to go fishing, i said to one of them keep an eye on it for me, the look on his face was priceless:ROFLMAO:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
You have to use diversery tactics with these people.

Something like start breathing heavily and ask them to repeat themselves as you are here on holiday to recover from a triple heart bypass operation and you did not hear what they said.

Then ask if they can pass you a chair so you can get your breath back. This gives them a few minutes whilst getting the chair to contemplate their future :Doh::winky:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
A few CC wardens are a pain................most are great and cant be too helpful.

Clearly the one you met had not gone on the CC how to deal with customers course...his rules .were just that...his own. What a petty minded man who had let the little power he had go to his head. !

Recently stayed at 3 caravan club sites and the wardens have been great......the folks at the Centennial Site in the New Forest.............are a fantastic helpful bunch. So welcoming to one and all.

However your conclusion that the CC does not like motorhomes is an over reaction ...you cant come to that conclusion based on one warden who is under the impression he is running a concentration camp.

barry

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
In my experience all clubs reach a stage where the needs of the club outweigh the needs of the members. They become big business organisations. The individual counts for nothing. The club goes on regardless.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've only come across a couple of CC warders who were rude and obnoxious , the vast majority do a decent job under very demanding circumstances, there are far more rude Joe Public than warders.. dealing with them day in day out must be, to say the least .. taxiing..
The other problem nowadays is getting rid of employees.. it's very difficult to fire someone without good cause and real evidence of misconduct .. so it's much easier just to move them on, perhaps hoping they leave voluntarily ..

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
As with all customer facing occupations you will find good 'ns and bad 'ns, unfortunately if you do meet a 'bad' warden it sets the tone for you holiday and being there for relaxation you don't need it.
Having words with others in the customer facing services, receptionists, call centres etc for example do not affect you so much as having your holiday spoilt therefore the effect of meeting a hitler type is more traumatic.

'Movin on' probably did the best by doing just that and movin on.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Just to put our ha'peth in the pot - we have come across one or two really nasty people who are CC wardens - enough to make us complain to the club - we have been members for many years and we contemplated many times leaving however I would also say we have met a few really great CC wardens but they do seem to be in the minority. We mainly use the CC for the CL's in the book that makes the cost worth while. IMHO and experience the C&CC wardens always seem a much more relaxed and happy bunch

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
IMHO and experience the C&CC wardens always seem a much more relaxed and happy bunch

We'd have to agree with that, always relaxed, even in utter chaos, Keswick site a couple of years ago when it flooded over night, and helpfull.

Having an RV there's been a couple of C&CC sites that have had either no suitable black dump or just no MH service point, and they have been near apologetic on the subject, which is daft if they haven't got they haven't got, time for us to employ plan B basically, or wait to the next site.

Unfortunatly we've only had one, so far, CC experience, and it wasn't good:Sad:

The C&CC also call themselve managers or assistant managers, can't help feeling this is a distancing thing re wardens:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Absolutely no point Brian..
I can tell you what will happen.

Adrian will end up getting banned from the CC same as me

I guess there is some satisfaction in that. I'd have thought the letter was on the wall in a silver frame.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Always takes two to make an argument, they have rules and you want to flaunt these rules. They have an area for trailers and a place to fill motorhomes.
You want to lock your trailor to a tree or your van instead of using there area. You want to run a hose across public areas creating a hazard. how is this the wardens fault.:Doh:

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have been motorhoming for lots of years now and always been both in the caravan club and the caravan and camping club. I honestly havent ever come across any predudice against me being a motorhome owner or ever suffered abuse at the hands of the wardens at any site I have been too and have been to lots of them. I found only people who loved being there and wanting to help and indeed on one occasion at Methop Fell in Cumbria, when we took our late pedigree cat Mysha( who came away with us always) on holiday, she suffered a stroke and started to bleed really badly from the mouth and they were more than helpful helping us find a local vet, and when the vet suggested that we take her home as moving round in the van would not help her, the refunded our site fees and were really fab.

I think in all walks of life you have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince so to speak and there are people everywhere who think they are the dogs danglie bits. Your bound to find one or two anywhere you go but the trick is NOT to assume the whole barrel is tainted with them. I've neen on forums for a lot of years. I actually run a camera forum called photography4allforum and have done so for eight years and in all that time we have only ever had one major trouble maker who got banned because of his behaviour. I have also been a mod on another camera forum where aberent behaviour seemed the norm- and mostly in the mods lounge which I spoke out about and in the end got removed because I didnt fit in their mentality. I think what we need to do is as suggested, avoid people like this and just move on. I hope that good karma prevails and fellow members of this fine forum never have to put up with jobsworths. and I wish you clear skies and happy MH-ing.

Bessy regs

Kenny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back