CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Looks well enough to me. How long has it been there? Sorry if I’ve missed this in the thread. Perhaps they’ll take it in if the weather gets really bad?

Its been there many years, its out throughout the whole year, sometimes there are sheep and cows in the field with it though.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Looking at the photos I would say looking from the sideview it’s an older animal as it has quite a dipped back . It doesn’t look like a purebred animal of any breed although it isn’t in bad condition it seems to have a short thick dense coat..... I wouldn’t be concerned about it but would prefer to see it with a companion.
When you posted originally I wondered from your location wether it was a Dales pony but looking at the photo i would say It isn’t. They are one of our hardy breeds.
We live in South Wales and quite local to us welsh mountain ponies are out on the mountain all year round.

Definitely an older animal as to how many years it has been in there, around 10 I would say at least and it will have been quite a few years old when it appeared, how many years do these sort of horses live on average, anyone know

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
Does the above give you an idea, she has just wolfed down 2 carrots and an apple from me. She comes trotting over when you shout. The weather up here is incredibly harsh in winter so she must be hardy or she would have been dead years ago
Can I reassure my wife now?

ours were always well fed but would always wolf down carrots and apples when offered even when they were as fat as butter in summer from the grass.

From those pics it seems well enough. like others have said, a companion of some sort would be better, i hate seeing them alone.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Definitely an older animal as to how many years it has been in there, around 10 I would say at least and it will have been quite a few years old when it appeared, how many years do these sort of horses live on average, anyone know
Paul they can live well into their twenties some ponies even into their thirties.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Paul they can live well into their twenties some ponies even into their thirties.

Many thanks Anne. I think the general consensus is that the horse, although lonely, is in decent condition and is a hardy type.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Y
B48B6925-94AE-49ED-A977-638283F1E408.jpeg

This is our Highland Pony CazPaul. Top picture a week or so ago, bottom picture summer when his coat looks fine. His winter coat is much longer and thicker than the pony in the field near you although it doesn’t look it when he is wet. Our other wee pony is very old ... he was my daughter’s first pony who we had to rescue back a few years ago. His coat is thick and curly, probably due to Cushings disease, but he’s a happy wee boy.
As an aside, the summer photo below was taken 21st June this year. On 17th March we had had to take him up to the vet school in Glasgow where he was diagnosed with chronic Grass Sickness. He had a 5% chance of recovery. I’m still watchful but cautiously amazed.
515D0EFF-7915-4122-826C-197723C06A9E.jpeg

Attachments

• C1E639AD-CAAE-4A71-8B30-ED582C2CFEAF.jpeg
    C1E639AD-CAAE-4A71-8B30-ED582C2CFEAF.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 2

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Have wondered before why people have horses in fields that never seem to be ridden or driven or used for anything at all, just in afield eating grass.
I can answer this one,although Lisa is the expert---Lisa has 3 horses,one she rides and the other two are field ornamets -They have metabolic and physical issues preventing them from being ridden ---vet wanted to put them down about 10 yrs ago but Lisa said no,just because they cannot be ridden does not mean they have to die.....Lisa still does groundwork with them and they get cuddles although i think Lisa enjoys those more :xgrin:
There are many reasons for horses being left in a field, some are for company for the ones that are ridden. Lisa will never leave one on it's own, hence having 3. She did have 4 but one died of old age. Over the years she has two die at the age of 38 and one at 26. The youngest is 8 so we have them for a long time :xdoh:
Lisa thinks the horse is a New Forest cross. Looks perfectly healthy but NEEDS company. It looks like it has hay so thats good.
All of Lisa's horses are unrugged, barefoot and have a shelter with ad lib hay.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
FORGOT TO SAY THEY EAT AND POO A LOT:xeek:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not going to offer advice on animals been left outdoors in harsh environments, but from the picture the horse looks well..
Some lovely photos of folks horses and ponies been posted (y)
My son and partner have 3... one is as terry describes...a field ornament , enjoying retirment for various reasons and they dont want to have her put down unless necessary...
Its a fair undertaking having such large animals to care for..
Heres a photo of bear and apache out for a sunday trot the other week...
I gave them a couple carrots and got to sit on apache....but i should add im a little frightened of horses having been bitten and trampled when i was a nipper:LOL:
20181202_130647.jpg
IMG-20181202-WA0012.jpg

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
In an ideal world the farmer should be made to trade places for a day or two
Not always, half the bother with people over rugging their horses is because when the owner shivers they think the horse needs a heavier rug, then the poor horse is overheating. Some breeds are absolutely fine and much happier out with no rugs at all.
Does the above give you an idea, she has just wolfed down 2 carrots and an apple from me. She comes trotting over when you shout. The weather up here is incredibly harsh in winter so she must be hardy or she would have been dead years ago
Can I reassure my wife now?
She looks as if she has a pretty good body condition, I would say she knocking on a bit because of her dippy back and if I was still a BHS welfare officer I would really only be concerned that she is alone. The thing is it doesn't have to be another horse, goats, sheep, cows or donkey's would be great....however donkey's & goats do need a shelter as they do not do well in wet weather at all.
I would say not to feed other peoples horses because it can cause them to push down gates & fences, some can become 'snappy' when other people try to stroke them......children have been bitten this way & then the parents have a go at the despairing horse owner who cannot stop people feeding their horse. I am not having a go at you, i'm really not. I can understand why you feed her, but for example during the grass growing seasons feeding a pony with laminitis could be the tipping point between life & death.
a few years old when it appeared, how many years do these sort of horses live on average, anyone know
Kaja (she's the one in the photo's MrA posted) died at 27, but only because she suddenly became ill and had to be PTS. But I have had one that died at 40.....it varies so much.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You think you have harsh conditions, you want to see the ponies out in Iceland in all weathers.

We had a Moore pony years ago, tough as old boots and hated having a coat on in winter.

There’s a big difference between a thoroughbred and a hardy pony :)

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Not always, half the bother with people over rugging their horses is because when the owner shivers they think the horse needs a heavier rug, then the poor horse is overheating. Some breeds are absolutely fine and much happier out with no rugs at all.

She looks as if she has a pretty good body condition, I would say she knocking on a bit because of her dippy back and if I was still a BHS welfare officer I would really only be concerned that she is alone. The thing is it doesn't have to be another horse, goats, sheep, cows or donkey's would be great....however donkey's & goats do need a shelter as they do not do well in wet weather at all.
I would say not to feed other peoples horses because it can cause them to push down gates & fences, some can become 'snappy' when other people try to stroke them......children have been bitten this way & then the parents have a go at the despairing horse owner who cannot stop people feeding their horse. I am not having a go at you, i'm really not. I can understand why you feed her, but for example during the grass growing seasons feeding a pony with laminitis could be the tipping point between life & death.

Kaja (she's the one in the photo's MrA posted) died at 27, but only because she suddenly became ill and had to be PTS. But I have had one that died at 40.....it varies so much.

That really interesting thanks, we didn't know not to feed it, we have been doing it years.

The weather up here, you get 6 foot snow drifts, amazing blizzards, raining upwards, these are the upland moors, its not a pretty little southern village. It is an extremely harsh environment in winter.

When you see Esmeralda(which we christened her years ago) stood there when a blizzard is blowing or a 70mph storm lashing rain we do feel for it, it looks so sad and lonely.
I daren't tell Caz what you said mind about not giving her a carrot or two when its 6 foot of snow, never feed in summer though, I will have to pick my moment to break the news, many thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

Last edited:
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I daren't tell Caz what you said mind about not giving her a carrot or two when its 6 foot of snow
To be honest she looks like the sort who has good manners, don't know why, but she does......so I think you should carry on feeding her as she's used to it. One thing I will say though is, if the cut the carrots, please only do it length ways not chunks as chucks can cause a horse to choke.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
You think you have harsh conditions, you want to see the ponies out in Iceland in all weathers.

We had a Moore pony years ago, tough as old boots and hated having a coat on in winter.

There’s a big difference between a thoroughbred and a hardy pony :)
I've known some horses to get their rugs off, sometimes with ALL the clips and buckles still done up....:xsurprised:

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
YView attachment 272246

This is our Highland Pony CazPaul. Top picture a week or so ago, bottom picture summer when his coat looks fine. His winter coat is much longer and thicker than the pony in the field near you although it doesn’t look it when he is wet. Our other wee pony is very old ... he was my daughter’s first pony who we had to rescue back a few years ago. His coat is thick and curly, probably due to Cushings disease, but he’s a happy wee boy.
As an aside, the summer photo below was taken 21st June this year. On 17th March we had had to take him up to the vet school in Glasgow where he was diagnosed with chronic Grass Sickness. He had a 5% chance of recovery. I’m still watchful but cautiously amazed.
View attachment 272245
He is a handsome chap:xsmile:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
She looks good, no ribs showing..
She’s not muscled up so probably not ridden, she’s fine-no hairy coat-but not thin, I think if RSPCA think she’s ok she is.
When I was a kid my pony & my mother’s horse used to get buried in snow drifts and we had to dig them out regularly, they never had rugs etc and were always ok, unlike horses today they get spoilt with rugs & waterproof coats!
I never fail to be amazed at seeing horses rugged up in warm and even hot weather - must be so uncomfortable.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Whilst the horse is probably used to this sort of weather it is a shame that he/she has no equine company as horses and pony's are by their nature far far happier in a herd rather than being alone. Pity they can't find one another horse to join the poor animal.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst the horse is probably used to this sort of weather it is a shame that he/she has no equine company as horses and pony's are by their nature far far happier in a herd rather than being alone. Pity they can't find one another horse to join the poor animal.

Yes I know what you mean, that is what Caz keeps saying.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I never fail to be amazed at seeing horses rugged up in warm and even hot weather - must be so uncomfortable.
During warm or hot weather they will sometimes have what we call fly rugs on, they are made from a light weight mesh with very small holes to try and keep the flies off as much as possible. If you have ever seen a horse that suffers a bad reaction to some fly bites you'll understand why horse owners go to such lengths, then there are the lotions, potions & sprays that people buy or make.
You will also sometimes see them with what looks like a mask covering the ears & face, they are made of the same mesh and worn for the same reason.
I'm glad you made the comment because if people only assume the reason for something instead of asking they get the wrong end of the stick...….Also it's never fair to expect people to understand the in's & out's of something they are not involved in......so the answer is ASK because everyday is a school day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back