NopocketAces

Free Member
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just converting
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think the weight might hurt me... and the height ..! My heights are 2150 metal cross member to metal crossmember, My calcs on floor are 50mm max from metal to walking surface and then 10mm on the ceiling so this cuts my internal dimension to 1990mm. I am not sure I can get away with that! I might have to re-engineer the roof space

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I think the weight might hurt me... and the height ..! My heights are 2150 metal cross member to metal crossmember, My calcs on floor are 50mm max from metal to walking surface and then 10mm on the ceiling so this cuts my internal dimension to 1990mm. I am not sure I can get away with that! I might have to re-engineer the roof space
Can you drop the sub floor down any?

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I would go 6mm 30mm insulation 12mm plywood.

I think the plywood will be stiffer than OSB and less likely to delaminate.

You could fiberglass the ply underside but it will be heavy to lift over.

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N

NopocketAces

Free Member
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just converting
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Silver Fox -sorry for the delay in replying - welding this afternoon to get the hinges on for the luton. There is no floor at the moment! Just the steel crossmembers of the box as oer the photo so I have to waterproof the underside, add insulation,flooring sheet and a floor covering.... and try to keep the whole thing below 50mm. To reduce the thickness of the board above the insulation i will run joists lengthwise at 250 centres so could get away with a 10-12mm board. I am local to you BTW if you want a snoop!

Thanks James - it is along the lines of what I am thinking but just seeing if there is another alternative idea. I was looking at vacuum panel insulation from Kingspan... until I saw the price and realised I would have to sell the MH to pay for it!

Attachments

• box crossmembers.jpeg
    box crossmembers.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 15
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Have you thought about fitting a secret safe?

I tried to buy some 5mm plywood today nobody seems to have it in stock☹️☹️ So I need to go skip dipping for some old drawers only needs to be 14”x 2.5 “. 4 bits

OP
OP
N

NopocketAces

Free Member
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just converting
Exp
I'm a newbie
No! No until you mentioned it....now I'm worried!

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
If heights an issue why not insulate between the crossmenbers. 4" of celotex with 18mm ply on top?

The foil will prevent any moisture ingress. If you are worried you could use 6mm ply under the celotex? Glued in with polymer adhesive?

Cheers James

OP
OP
N

NopocketAces

Free Member
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just converting
Exp
I'm a newbie
Jamesh...Oooh... I hadn't thought of that! I will take a look at the practicalities....Thank you!

OP
OP
N

NopocketAces

Free Member
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just converting
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ugh!! Just spent two days dismantling the cab to get at the air vents. Unfortunately borrowing a grainstore from a local farmer to build in has its downsides and a rat has spent three months making its home inside the cab heater vents. God knows how it got in there but it had decided to retire from this world in the same location so apart from 10kgs of soggy droppings completely clogging the whole system, the freshly deceased beast came out as well! Now got to reassemble and somehow make up the eaten rubber vent seals which were probably what killed it in the end.

Welding the frame is almost done and the roof will be going back on in the next few days. Then it is time to get the internals in place.

OP
OP
N

NopocketAces

Free Member
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just converting
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well, a few weeks down the line and I am just about ready to start the build. The roof structure is on and 90% of the welding is done... just a little more for the back door onto the deck, the seatbelt post and the luton stays. Slightly concerned that the overall height will be 12' 2"... if I dont install the front domed skylight... now looking to find more low profile option.

Once the weld is complete the first stage of the floor goes in - GRP with a 7mm ply backing, rebated 30mm for the wall panels. Then all the underslung kit will be put in place to work out where the pipework needs to go through the floor. Oh... and have to paint the frame at some stage. I am still hoping to get away in it at the beginning of June!

Attachments

• Frame 1.jpg
    Frame 1.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 22
  • horse3.jpg
    horse3.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
N

NopocketAces

Free Member
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just converting
Exp
I'm a newbie
Blimey.. forgot now! The back is 4.8m and the luton is about 1.6 so around the 6.5 mark tip to tail...

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Really it looks a bit longer than that total length, if it’s just 6.5 that’s a great size build you are doing.

OP
OP
N

NopocketAces

Free Member
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just converting
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've gone through about 15kg of welding wire so far, two gas bottles, about 400kg of steels, one finger and a new dictionary of swear words !

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I've gone through about 15kg of welding wire so far, two gas bottles, about 400kg of steels, one finger and a new dictionary of swear words !

PM me your address if your local and more than happy to have a look at your installation 👍

NopocketAces

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I would suggest that whatever you do with the strata of the floor, you look to ensure that moisture (horse pee) cannot get through from the top. To that end I would suggest that you structure your base floor to fall towards a drain (look at Wade accessories) somewhere in the centre of the area and that your floor (suggesting k30 fitted on epoxy adhesive) returns up the wall (about 150mm) and terminates into an integral wall covering. Alto Whiterock system (others are available) is a good place to start looking for the walls.
I have no attachment to Altro but, used their products many times in my years as a flooring contractor. They are good.
Only my opinion though. I am sure others will follow with theirs.
Good luck with the build. 👍

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
It’s going to be great (y)

OP
OP
N

NopocketAces

Free Member
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just converting
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Zoobec cant wait to finish it now.

BnBJwf - Luckily no horses so hopefully no pee ( the children are house-trained, I think). However - like the idea in the shower. I have some leftover wet room tiles (cant remember the make) which are thin adhesive laid and totally waterproof which should do. I am putting in a standard quadrant shower enclosure and a thetford cassette in a single bathroom with 1500mm x 800mm internal dimensions.

The flooring will be a GRP ply lined base with 25mm insulation sheets and boarded with 11mm osb and then a floor covering on top. This is the maximum I can get away with but my 25mm joists between the insulation are at 250mm centres so 11mm OSB should be OK. I intend to go lunatic on the sealant around the edges...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back