Hopefully no Scandi drama for us, tak tack takk (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Back home now, the van is unpacked and we have had an opportunity to tot up the costs. I think it was @Langtoftlad and @Debs who wanted an idea of the finances?

A brief summary of our costs
Mileage 4000 miles done over 7 weeks. Fuel prices varied across countries and day of the week in Norway. We get about 27 mpg so nearly 150 gallons of fuel for this trip, it's fair to say this is the main part of the trip costs at c £700.

Ferry fjord costs - we caught just 3 fjord ferries there were on average £20 each, none of these trips were long but as we are over 6 metres it's double the price. Shorter vans will pay quite a bit less. £60

Toll costs - about £75 in total

Ferry cost to Denmark c£90 (Rodsby Puttsgarden), ferry back from Kristiansand to Hirtshall was £170. If you were super organised you could book further ahead and save money, we booked on our trip as we honestly weren't sure which way we would go (or return).

Bridge - purchasing the bropass meant the Oresund bridge was £80

Accommodation costs - a mix of camper stops, (mainly) free spots and campsites, costs overall were about £520, averaged at just over £10.60 per night.

Food and drinks - we didn't really eat out much on this trip and carried a bit more wine than we were allowed. It's pretty expensive to eat out in Norway and so we just didn't bother. We have the benefit of a good sized fridge and freezer, our cupboards were full. I honestly don't think we spent any more on food than being at home and so I have left this cost out. We bought fresh fruit,veg, milk and bread as we travelled, there are lots of supermarkets, our average cost per item was about £2 but again we weren't buying any meat/fish etc.

I haven't included a ferry to Calais as we used a Tesco voucher deal .

Adding all this up and we come just short of £1700 (excluding food and drink). Just under £35 per night.
Thanks for that - a lot less than expected - but I suppose some of that is down to self catering.
Thanks also for a hugely entertaining & informative thread... I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and living your trip vicariously through your posts...

:dogthanks:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Many thanks for the summary, Bev has more or less agreed to the trip and taking around 5 weeks, although she does keep mentioning 28 nights :)

Tonights whittle is will there be washing facilities?

From your experience on this trip, did the sites you used have washing machines?

Anything that you struggled to get or sort, please give me a heads up before we meet at Shrewsbury (y)(y)

Any guide books, maps available to borrow very gratefully received, will be returned by post on our return, unless we happen to be able to bump into you again this year :)(y)

@Jenben you also need to remind David of the place for the horseride on the beach:D2

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Jenben you also need to remind David of the place for the horseride on the beach:D2

is that suggesting another thread that I haven't read properly o_O was a horse ride mentioned :whistle:

definitely up for it little sis, more complicated now that 'we' know Bev expects me to participate

do they have horses in Norway? :):) not to mention beaches :LOL:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
upload_2017-7-13_22-3-24.png

we could end up like this :LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for reminding me @Debs , horse riding @DavidG58 , the island of Romo in Denmark was a good spot. Huge beach, lots of well marked horse riding trails and a very pleasant camperstop.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for reminding me @Debs , horse riding @DavidG58 , the island of Romo in Denmark was a good spot. Huge beach, lots of well marked horse riding trails and a very pleasant camperstop.

that might work well, we are currently thinking ferry from Hirtshals to Kristansand so a night more in Denmark could be good, now looks like we will not have left in time for Bev's birthday though which was part of my plan (y)

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for that - a lot less than expected - but I suppose some of that is down to self catering.
Thanks also for a hugely entertaining & informative thread... I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and living your trip vicariously through your posts...

:dogthanks:
You are very welcome, glad you and Kerry hound have enjoyed my scandi ramblings.

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Anything that you struggled to get or sort, please give me a heads up before we meet at Shrewsbury

We always managed to find gas in Norway and even managed to get a refill for our camping gaz canister.

We quite missed pizza, we saw one spot with a pizza restaurant but it was £27 for a pizza, we gave it a miss . We have taken delivery of a pizza stone for our next trip :)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We always managed to find gas in Norway and even managed to get a refill for our camping gaz canister.

We quite missed pizza, we saw one spot with a pizza restaurant but it was £27 for a pizza, we gave it a miss . We have taken delivery of a pizza stone for our next trip :)
Please share the details of the pizza stone.
Will you be making your own base dough?

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Please share the details of the pizza stone.
Will you be making your own base dough?

Cadac pizza stone has been purchased by a friend as a present. Yes, we make our own pizza dough now and plan to bring it along. TBH you could just use a pizza dough mix.

We were such sad sods we spent the final stage of our Scandiland trip discussing what we would bring on our next trip and what type of pizzas we would make :smiley:

I feel sure if we ask @Granjan aka gadget queen she can advise :happy:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Cadac pizza stone has been purchased by a friend as a present. Yes, we make our own pizza dough now and plan to bring it along. TBH you could just use a pizza dough mix.

We were such sad sods we spent the final stage of our Scandiland trip discussing what we would bring on our next trip and what type of pizzas we would make :smiley:

I feel sure if we ask @Granjan aka gadget queen she can advise :happy:

Thank you I didn't know cadac did a pizza stone but on it now.
I will buy some pizza dough mix.
You know talking about pizzas and toppings when you don't have access to them is a form of abuse don't you!
I like chicken, ham, mushroom and extra cheese.
Mike likes chicken, ham, pineapple and extra cheese.
Asda make to order. (y)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have a recipe for a pan pizza. Poor internet so I can't find it but Google can!

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
I really fancy a pizza oven in the garden saw a beauty at the yorkshire show but I would be tempted to put it in daughters garden as we are there more and we may move / downsize at some point. We often go there but take the food so kids can go to bed easily, midges and weather are bad/worse at our house too !

I have a pizza stone and thought I would see if it fitted in my Cobb, (no cadac here ) will try and explore that option over the weekend .......
But I really shouldnt eat pizza!

We saw the Unni ones too but dont really want to add anything else cooking wise to the MH, just a pizza stone would be good.

We once cooked pizza on the cobb before without a stone, it was a disaster! We ended up flipping it, not a pretty sight but we had a good laugh.

The remoska is good for self assembly jobs with bought bases but I havent tried making pizza from scratch in it.

Maybe I will do that too tomorrow.

These were the ovens we looked at

https://www.thepizzaovenshop.com/ I like the purple Igneus one!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back