Hopefully get rid of WASPS (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I copied this info from another site, worth looking at the site generally, there's some interesting stuff

An interesting DIY Wasp Trap that will help to remove wasps and yellow jackets from around your home. If you’ve ever been stung by a wasp then you already know how painful it can be so an easy way to reduce their population is a good thing for both humans and honey bees. If 2021 turns out to be the year of the Asian Killer Hornet you’re going to want to know the ingredients for this wasp trap so here they are: 1 cup of apple juice, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of apple vinegar (repels honey bees), 1 teaspoon of grape jelly (concord grape jelly). After these are mixed together in your feeding pan, drip 3 droplets of Dawn Dish Detergent in to break the surface tension. I hope this helps the next time you have a wasp or yellow jacket nest nearby.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
You can’t get rid of WASP he’s an old Funsters part of the furniture here (sorry for going off topic I’ll get mi coat):happy:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In the house mother always used a jam jar with residue of jam, third filled with water and a hole in the lid , once in they couldn’t escape.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In the house mother always used a jam jar with residue of jam, third filled with water and a hole in the lid , once in they couldn’t escape.
Same here.. Its what we have always done :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
1609856793489.png

Place jam in the bottom.

Easy enough to make up and put around your motorhome and the end result looks like this

1609856860917.png

Pictures supplied from google

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
We hang an inflated brown paper bag in any doorway that is open to outdoors, apparently incoming wasps see it as potential hive of another group of wasps and stay away to avoid conflict. Doesn't work 100% but does seem to cut down on the amount of wasps coming through the door.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
reminds me of a farmer friend. His new wife was lovely, great round the house, in fact perfect in nearly every way. She was terrified of spiders and would scream if she saw one. Having got tired of the frequent screams, my friend got his own back. Early one morning he was woken by his wife screaming at a spider, so he took his shotgun from by the window and shot the spider where it was on the wall. Result one dead spider, a bloody great hole in the plaster and a furious wife. He simply pointed out the spider was now gone so this solution would be used from then on.
The wife no longer screams at spiders and has become far less squeamish about most things round the farm. She used to gag if she saw a pile of dead rabbits. Now she takes them off us when returning from a shoot and puts them in the utility room, bloody hands and everything

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The Asian hornet is not the same and should be reported.
Please try to differentiate.

Where possible wasp nests should be left alone and wasps tolerated, they can help control nuisance invertebrates. The nests die out in late summer or autumn. Although never re-used the papery constructions can last several years before breaking down. Saves on pest control and use of Neonicotinoids which are harmful to Bees without which our species is badly disadvantaged.
The little critters need help and understanding, do not kill out of hand.
They can be a pain or worse in the wrong location, and sometimes justify killing but not out of hand please

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Oh Dear..... NO , NO, NO !!!!! I don't want to hear about Yellow Jackets again:eek:!!!
Even if I do want to get rid of wasps , I do prefer to get rid of the Yellow Jackets first! :giggler:
:france: :france:

Supaimpy

Free Member
Nov 11, 2020
Poole , Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
After being blue lighted to hospital after being stung 26 times by wasps I just want the things exterminated , never had so much pain or been so frightened in my life. Luckily the Air Ambulance crew were mobile in their car and less than 2 miles away at the time the 999 call was made so I had a Dr and Paramedic on scene within minutes .

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
How anything so small can install so much terror in me. I've had much cause to remember wasp stings on my arm (three months for swelling to recede), my hand (A&E for treatment) and caught inside my crash helmet on my motorbike just outside Venice. Fortunately I did not get stung by the Italian version, but believe me, you've never seen a motorbike stop so quickly or a helmet removed with so much speed, fear and then relief!

AnnB

Free Member
May 29, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2002
I suffer with anaphylaxis to wasp stings but wouldn't intentionally harm a wasp. I even had a wasp nest in the garden a few years ago. It made mowing the grass in that area a bit awkward but it's a bit like covid, I have just accepted a new normal and try to look carefully before doing things like opening windows in case there is a wasp lurking.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Everyone knows we get Honey from Bee’s so we leave them alone

I think that the British Wasp Appreciation Society should make more people aware that no wasps, no Jam

So few people know that Jam comes from Wasps

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I've been stung a few times and when I have absolutely had to, I have killed a nest or two over the years. Generally though, I am well aware that wasps do far more good than they do harm so I try to leave well alone or use non lethal methods of discouragement (fake nests, citrus candles, etc).

Asian hornets are potentially a real problem and threat to bee hives and should be reported whenever seen. There is an app you can get called Asian Hornet Watch that helps you to identify them and to record your sighting. Alternatively you can report using this form http://www.brc.ac.uk/risc/alert.php?species=asian_hornet
or by email to this address alertnonnative@ceh.ac.uk

There's more information here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-app-to-report-asian-hornet-sightings and here https://www.nsalg.org.uk/news/how-to-report-sightings-of-the-asian-hornet/.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Leave them alone,,bit of a problem in sept when they have nothing to do but part of nature and important to the balance of life...Live and let live..I do kill mossies and flies though,,BUSBY.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I suffer with anaphylaxis to wasp stings but wouldn't intentionally harm a wasp. I even had a wasp nest in the garden a few years ago. It made mowing the grass in that area a bit awkward but it's a bit like covid, I have just accepted a new normal and try to look carefully before doing things like opening windows in case there is a wasp lurking.
'So do I and every time I do get stung the resulting reaction is about twice the previous time, I have epipen in case but the they have a life of six month so my doctor would not prescribe another as I hadn't used that one

AnnB

Free Member
May 29, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2002
'So do I and every time I do get stung the resulting reaction is about twice the previous time, I have epipen in case but the they have a life of six month so my doctor would not prescribe another as I hadn't used that one
I would seriously speak to your doctor again. I carry two EpiPens, both currently have a longer shelf life than six months and I've probably already had these ones for around six months. I did have an issue with my surgery erasing them briefly from my repeat prescriptions but that was all resolved over the phone. I haven't ever needed to use one since they were first prescribed after bad reactions to wasp stings probably twenty or more years ago but I always carry them with me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back