Hopeful Returners - Help (1 Viewer)

D

Duke of Chester

Deleted User
Hi

We are looking to buy an RV but would like some help and advice please.

We did have a 28' Winnebago Brave but sold it several years ago. I drove this on a normal driving licence which I know was fine.

We have seen advertised a MONACO KNIGHT 2002 32FT- will I need an HGV licence?

Any thoughts on this model would also be appreciated.

Colin

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Colin

Welcome to Motorhomefun ::bigsmile:

My gut feeling is yes, you would need HGV, but best check it out.

I have no doubt Doug (The pips) will be along shortly as he has a Monaco Knight (called Gladys, hence his username :roflmto: ) and will be able to give you the lowdown on it :Smile:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Link Removed is the information you need and the GVWR (equivalent to Maximum Authorised Mass) at 22,000lbs is 9.79 tonnes and therefore well in excess of 7.5 tonnes and would require an HGV licence (although there are some who dispute an RV being classified as an HGV because it isn't carrying goods).

The weight is always plated inside the cab of an RV (just behind the driver's seat).

:Smile:
Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks for the build-up Lindy :roflmto:
Hi Colin,
We traded our Georgie Boy in on our Monaco Knight 3 years ago, ours is the 34H floorplan. I drove the GB on an ordinary licence but the Monaco is about 11 tons so you'll need an HGV. In the grand scheme of things spending £800 passing my HGV test didn't seem a bad investment. I really learnt a lot and think I'm a better driver as a result. Someone else on forum got the dealer to include the training course in the deal so I wouldn't let that put me off.
In the Monaco range the Knight is one of the entry level models. The quality is superb but mine has the 275hp Cummins, 5 speed Allison gearbox and 3 point jacking. We very nearly bought a Damon Ultrasport, 300hp, 6 speed and 4 point jacking and a lot of other toys but felt the Monaco was just so much nicer. We particularly liked the wheat colour scheme and upholstery.::bigsmile:
There's very little I dislike about Gladys. The TV isn't very well positioned. The galley area is quite small and the slide over the entry steps is two inches too low leaving Barbara's feet dangling:ROFLMAO:
Do you mind my asking where you've seen the one you're looking at?

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
D

Duke of Chester

Deleted User
Thanks Lindy Keith & Doug for your help and information.

I looks like I will have to invest some time & energy in a HGV course if I wish to pursue a Monaco.

There are two we like the look of both featured in ARVM/AMERICAN MOTORHOME SALES we have found them on other sites too both 32ft one is 2001 & one is 2002.

We will keep looking and I think we will visit the next show to have a look around - but I am not ruling out a Monaco I will just have to look into HGV training courses.

Colin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back