Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-44420012

_101946487_williamsperry.jpg

A father and daughter have been jailed for attempting to smuggle nine people into the UK in their hired campervan.

Baden Williams, 47, and his daughter Latasha Perry, 27, were both found guilty of facilitating illegal immigration at Canterbury Crown Court.

They were stopped at the French border on 1 May 2017.

Williams, from Newport, received five-and-a-half years in jail and Perry, from Oakdale, Caerphilly, was handed a four-year sentence.

The court heard the pair had reached the UK control zone in Coquelles before entering the Channel Tunnel.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
9 people = 1/2t plus. I would think that would show on the suspension, assuming they all had to hide towards the rear. I do not think one can hire truck-based MHs.

They must be tw*ts

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Would have probably earned them £20000 if they had succeeded,,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It must be unusual for a father and adult daughter with no younger passengers to hire a relatively large MH just for a long weekend trip across the Channel. Quite a significant outlay for a short trip. That might justify a full search at Coquelles.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking that they also look like suspicous characters.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Never mind that, must have exceeded the payload - at least £100 fine!

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Maybe I'm alone in thinking that they also look like suspicous characters.
If you look at photos of some of our MHF members, many could be thought of as suspicious characters ............ but actually they are mostly really nice people!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I live this bit ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But when Border Force officers searched the campervan they found eight Albanians and one Turkish man.

Four were concealed in the sleeping area directly above Williams and Perry. The other five were hidden in the storage compartment at the back of the vehicle.

Williams and Perry claimed they had no knowledge of the people hidden in their vehicle and stated the van had been left unlocked for a short time in Lillers.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
:gum:
It must be unusual for a father and adult daughter with no younger passengers to hire a relatively large MH just for a long weekend trip across the Channel. Quite a significant outlay for a short trip. That might justify a full search at Coquelles.

Using the tunnel, I've popped over the channel on my own, in a 10.5t RV. Never been stopped or searched. Indeed, on the French side, I'm usually waved straight through. Only on the English side do they check a passport. :gum:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We were searched at Dunkirk coming home. We have now been searched 3 times although in a PVC we couldn't really hide anybody!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We were searched at Dunkirk coming home. We have now been searched 3 times although in a PVC we couldn't really hide anybody!
... they probably just wanted a nosy at your camper! :D

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
:gum:

Using the tunnel, I've popped over the channel on my own, in a 10.5t RV. Never been stopped or searched. Indeed, on the French side, I'm usually waved straight through. Only on the English side do they check a passport. :gum:

I am not saying that this is the situation in your case Mike, but many people get confused as to which immigration authority is checking on each side of the Channel.

For many years now there has been an arrangement for French immigration officials to be based in Dover and vice-versa for UK Border Agency to be based in Calais. This allows people to be processed on a 'trickle' basis when randomly arriving at different times at a port for boarding, rather than when a ferry disgourges all passengers within 10 minutes, thus causing queues.

At Dover outbound there are two booths - one for UK Border Agency(usually unmanned) and one for the French who invariably check passposts(reverse at Calais) - if you are not sure which one you are stopped at try the following tests

1 Read the signs (too simple)

2 Look at the uniform (Don't know the difference?)

3 Listen to a slight accent (Can't recognise Essex?)

4 Smell for garlic/fish n' chips/vindaloo

This is a Public Service for those who did not join the Scouts and/or should have gone to Specsavers.

Geoff

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
When we were in the queue to board the ferry recently at Portsmouth we were directed to the enclosed area to be inspected, by an official who was in uniform and when we opened the door to let him in he said I wont be moment and went back to the booth he then put a pair of plastic overshoes on and said we don't usually get motorhomes this tidy :) he was very thorough and wished us Bon Voyage he was a perfect gentleman and I think he was a Filipino.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
When we went out in May, an officer was looking hard at us. He was in the booth opposite. Then he closed his window and came out.
He came over and asked a few questions. Actually, it turned out that he was admiring our van. I pulled over and let him look. He was really happy. Phew!!! He missed the 10 illegals I was taking to France.
images (37).jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have been searched a few times, reminder do not roll up your bdding in the overcab and put your bike helmet at the top. Got a really good search a couple of years ago.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our furry alarm takes exception to us being searched. He has to be evicted before anyone can get on and start rooting around.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
We were sort of searched coming back last time , came inside , even opened the shower (odd as it has a clear glass door) , had to lift the rear bed, open cupboards . But didn't look in any of the belly lockers, could have had half of Ethiopia in there ? :rolleyes::LOL:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Got inspected at Dieppe in my Eriba (you cant hide a spare bottle of wine in that) - 3 officials
Anyway the cassette was overdue, no sog or blue
They didnt hang around.......

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our van was X-rayed at Roscoff last year before got on the ferry for Plymouth. Very thorough I thought and an interesting diversion to fill the time in while we waited. The machine was mobile and visits different ports I think.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Our inspections, only at Dunkerque, have been a bit cursory, sometimes not even the garage, except for ensuring the military leave dirty diesel footprints.

Never inspected at Dover.

Geoff

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We had an x-ray at Calais at the tunnel-I asked the French gendarme or whatever if they were checking for illegals -No, drugs and contraband ( booze and tobacco):D

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We were sort of searched coming back last time , came inside , even opened the shower (odd as it has a clear glass door) , had to lift the rear bed, open cupboards . But didn't look in any of the belly lockers, could have had half of Ethiopia in there ? :rolleyes::LOL:
Probably all of Ethiopia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back