Hookup diagram? (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2021
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Vw crafter lwb
Exp
Hi all I've added a hookup point and distribution board to my camper I'm wanting to know what thickness cable people recommend from the hookup point to the board

Also how do I go about when I'm not hooking up to power my sockets with the solar panels?

If anyone has a diagram or a link to one will be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Some of the electrical techies should be along shortly. I guess your post got lost in the mountain of them yesterday.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Solar is used to keep your batteries charged.

You’ll be needing an inverter if you want to power your mains sockets from your batteries.

If you’re going to power your mains sockets via an inverter you’ll be needing a large battery bank.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
You will ned to say what size solar panels and leisure batteries you have so you can be advised if it is a suitable set up for powering your mains sockets. Using an invertor to power mains sockets needs a lot of battery capacity.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I can't comment directly Adammully but I find it useful to look at the "Similar Threads" below - often find an answer or link or something to investigate whilst those with the knowhow come along; hope you find something of use there meanwhile (y)

One such post sent me off looking at the 12voltplanet website for ideas...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you used the same rated cable as the hook up cable itself you would not be far away so 2.5mm sq would be well on top of the job in my book but I am no expert :sneaky:

If you want to power your 240v sockets when you are not hooked up to mains then you need a decent amount of battery capacity and an inverter, if you are starting from scratch I would be looking at a charger/inverter combo with mains backup or network compensation feature.

OP
OP
Adammully
Mar 10, 2021
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Vw crafter lwb
Exp
If you used the same rated cable as the hook up cable itself you would not be far away so 2.5mm sq would be well on top of the job in my book but I am no expert :sneaky:

If you want to power your 240v sockets when you are not hooked up to mains then you need a decent amount of battery capacity and an inverter, if you are starting from scratch I would be looking at a charger/inverter combo with mains backup or network compensation feature.
I have all the off grid set up and running at the moment I'm wanting to add the hook up system for when I go on sites for microwave and proper kettle?

OP
OP
Adammully
Mar 10, 2021
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Vw crafter lwb
Exp
Solar is used to keep your batteries charged.

You’ll be needing an inverter if you want to power your mains sockets from your batteries.

If you’re going to power your mains sockets via an inverter you’ll be needing a large battery bank.

Ian
Sorry forgot to mention I've already got off grid up and running at the moment just wanting to add the hook up system for when I stop on sites

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have all the off grid set up and running at the moment I'm wanting to add the hook up system for when I go on sites for microwave and proper kettle?

Sorry forgot to mention I've already got off grid up and running at the moment just wanting to add the hook up system for when I stop on sites
Would you be wanting the EHU to be charging your batteries as well or just be a discrete power source used through 13A sockets? If the latter a properly protected 2.5mm radial circuit would suffice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nobody mentioned..... Use flex for any internal wiring unless PVC T+E can be securely clipped and can't move at all.
House type PVC Twin & earth can vibrate and break.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
What If I wanted to go off grid?
Off grid, it is best to avoid 230V. Most of what you actually need can be obtained in perfectly adequete 12V versions or by buying a 12V adapter. This includes lighting, television, phone & laptop chargers etc. Don't use electric cooking/heating appliances. A kettle on a gas ring will make a cup of tea almost as easily as an electric kettle.

If you've got a "must have" item like a hair dryer or coffee machine, you will need to spend thousands on solar panels, inverters, B2B chargers and lithium batteries to keep up with the demands.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
What If I wanted to go off grid?
Off grid, it is best to avoid 230V. Most of what you actually need can be obtained in perfectly adequete 12V versions or by buying a 12V adapter. This includes lighting, television, phone & laptop chargers etc. Don't use electric cooking/heating appliances. A kettle on a gas ring will make a cup of tea almost as easily as an electric kettle.

If you've got a "must have" item like a hair dryer or coffee machine, you will need to spend thousands on solar panels, inverters, B2B chargers and lithium batteries to keep up with the demands.
You say your set up for “off grid” so as cmcardle75 says stick with it. We are also totally “ off grid” capable and when enough sun we only ever need to go into anti sulphate mode every few months to save the batteries (takes them to 14.3v).
230v telly, Humax box and many others have a transformer inline that drop them down to 12v anyway 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back