Hooks in Garage (1 Viewer)

Jack TGA

Free Member
Oct 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
T337
Exp
Hi, I want to put some hooks in my motorhome garage (for jackets and such like). Are these best glued on? If so what glue is recommended? Do you glue the hooks directly to the wall of the motorhome or do you place a board up and glue to that? Any hook recomendations?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It depends upon what you are screwing them into. I fit hooks into a wooden board or batten in order to distribute the weight unless I can be sure of screwing the hooks into a good fixing surface or frame. Even coats and jackets can be quite heavy.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Screw your preferred hooks to a 2mm aluminium backplate. If for heavy clothing say 4 hooks on a 300mm x 75mm plate. Attach the plate using 3M car body tape (the stuff used to fit rubbing strips etc to cars). Much stronger than screws and does no damage. The size of plate I've suggested will hang a 30" TV.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It depends ;) our garage wall has carpet on and is also quite sturdy, I can screw hooks on and then remove if I wish and hardly leave a mark, I certainly wouldn't glue them to ours.

So in conclusion "It depends"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jack TGA

Jack TGA

Free Member
Oct 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
T337
Exp
I use the Command brand by 3M adhesive hooks that are removable ( B&Q or any good DIY shop ) , ours have been on for 2 years and still secure. Make the surface is decreased before applying.
Do you hang heavy coats and such like on those?

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Yes, in fact on one we hang 3 quite heavy coats.

Did buy some cheaper brand ones but they were rubbish.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Be wary of using adhesive strips if your wall boarding is a type that is coated with a decorative film. I fixed some hooks in ours, the tape stuck perfectly but, the paper separated from the boarding. We ended up carpeting the whole thing before screwing the hooks.
Safe and happy travels 👍

OP
OP
Jack TGA

Jack TGA

Free Member
Oct 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
T337
Exp
Be wary of using adhesive strips if your wall boarding is a type that is coated with a decorative film. I fixed some hooks in ours, the tape stuck perfectly but, the paper separated from the boarding. We ended up carpeting the whole thing before screwing the hooks.
Safe and happy travels 👍
Totally new to this game so I have no idea if my wall boarding is that type. It's a 2008 corado t337.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Those are the ones Jack, not sure what the walls are covered in in my garage, never tried removing themas they are so useful. I was far happier to use these than put screws into the wall.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
if its the 337 twin bunk why not mark where the bunks are and fit the hooks from the garage into the bunk frame (The wood)? So will be hanging down into garage not off wall and be better for drying etc? We did that with no problem when we had a T337

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I had a few items attached to my motorhome with double sided tape when I purchased it. When these items were removed it damaged the panel finish beneath. I use screws. It’s very easy to loose a small hole.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It depends ;) our garage wall has carpet on and is also quite sturdy, I can screw hooks on and then remove if I wish and hardly leave a mark, I certainly wouldn't glue them to ours.

So in conclusion "It depends"
Nor would I :ROFLMAO:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I had a few items attached to my motorhome with double sided tape when I purchased it. When these items were removed it damaged the panel finish beneath. I use screws. It’s very easy to loose a small hole.
It's important to use the tape I mentioned. It can't be pulled off but its foam base is just thick enough to cut with a thin blade. Remnants can be 'rolled' off.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Standard construction is a sandwich of high density insulation foam with 3mm ply inside and out. The inside skin has vinyl wallpaper bonded to it, or if top notch, 0.5mm of wood veneer. It would be safest to screw a board to the wall and fix to that. Too much weight on a hook stuck on and they rip off the inner paper

This is not a house that you are fixing too, just a lightweight structure

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Standard construction is a sandwich of high density insulation foam with 3mm ply inside and out. The inside skin has vinyl wallpaper bonded to it, or if top notch, 0.5mm of wood veneer. It would be safest to screw a board to the wall and fix to that. Too much weight on a hook stuck on and they rip off the inner paper

This is not a house that you are fixing too, just a lightweight structure

What depth of insulation is typical, I am looking at doing similar, but obvously don't want to come out the other side! thinking about 15mm + the depth of the Batten, to ensure a safe grip, without ripping out?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
What depth of insulation is typical, I am looking at doing similar, but obvously don't want to come out the other side! thinking about 15mm + the depth of the Batten, to ensure a safe grip, without ripping out?
the insulation depth varies van to van, but with a fairly modern one at least 40mm

no need to have the screws too long, a 12mm plus thickness of the batten would be fine. So long as the parallel shank of the screw has a bite in the ply, it will hold

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Why would you want to remove the hooks when you sell the van it’s a valuable extra.?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back