Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Not been out in our new(to us) motorhome as yet,but last sunday found not quite enough power in battery to start it, we had not bothered to use the hook up, so now have hooked up and read that it will charge the leisure battery and send a float charge of 2 amps to the starter battery,will this be enough to start it after a week or should and can I use my booster pack whilst it is hooked up, or put my Optimate battery charger on at the same time ? or best to disconect whilst doing this,any help welcome thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi kickstart....

2 amps is only a trickle charge and wont charge your engine battery from flat. well it will, but only if its on the bench and you have a lot of time to kill
it will only maintain a charged battery as things discharge it...radio memory, alarm, clock ect.
as its all 12v you should be ok connecting a stand alone charger while on hookup BUT dont attempt to start the engine while on hookup. it can sometimes seriously damage the onboard charger/electronics.

OP
OP
kickstart

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Thanks for that John, so as you say its best to un-hook her before charging starter battery or using my booster pack,then once Ive given her a good run, hook her back up and she should be o.k

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yep!!

once you get the engine battery charged it will stay charged by the onboard charger, unless you start turning things on, lights, radio ect, and drain it again.

before i fitted my solar panel i had my hookup, at home, connected via a plugin timer set to come on for an hour a day.
that way there was little chance of it overcharging while on hookup over winter.(my onboard will charge either cab or hab, switchable, at full power...12amps)

i dont bother with hookup at home anymore now its on solar.

OP
OP
kickstart

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Have got two panels on top of roof as well so hopefully if you send us a bit of Scarborough sunshine I should be right thanks John :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mmmm!!! very little sun up here in sunless scarborough.

i still get between a half and two amps from the panel even in overcast winter daylight.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back