Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
For those who think they can't manage it.
In light of the recent thread on hook up leads started by ShiftZZ (Dave)
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/hookup-cable.91247/

I thought I'd do you a simple guide to terminating ends.
These plugs I just bought from a1 plant sales at £9.99 for two pairs delivered are very good quality.
I always start with the earth as I find it easier to get that out of the way first.
Strip long enough to be able to twist then double back on itself and be captive by both screws.
Always best to try FILL the space with copper. 2.5 doubled over just fits nicely.
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
This type of plug simple twists to lock. Align the arrows and rotate
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Tighten the grey backnut which grips and seals the cable entry
Broken Link Removed
The female end is no different to do but observe the line & neutral terminals will be reversed

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I always start with the earth as I find it easier to get that out of the way first.

Best practice......
If the earth is connected correctly to start with there is no possibility of accidentally connecting live or neutral to the earth terminal.

To prove a point only yesterday we had a problem in the school we are working in, a dead short to earth.

The sparky had put earth to live and live to earth in an unfirmiliar make of socket.....lack of concentration

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Good guide.

Another bit of good practice:

Wherever practical to do so the earth wire should be longer and the live wire shortest so that if the cable is pulled out the live disconnects first and the earth remains connected thereby giving the protective device the best chance of operating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And for those who require a reverse polarity lead simply swap the brown and blue wires at ONE END of the lead only.

Then CLEARLY MARK the lead as reversed polarity.....a black permanant marker used on the plug and socket will suffice.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In support of the quality of these particular plugs. Any force strong enough to pull the cable out would either pull out all three cores completely or pull the socket off the wall. First class gear.(y) DONT drive off with it in

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I always start by threading the cable through the cover FIRST, and then wiring the cable.

Hands up all those who have ever forgotten to do that first! :LOL:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I always start by threading the cable through the cover FIRST, and then wiring the cable.

What gibberish. In all my years of wiring, I have never ever done such a stupid and incompetent thing. :sneaky:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

When that happens you never notice until you've finished all the connections :rolleyes:

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)

I was just about to add the same advice. Not from experience of course :wink:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Or, cut through the cable, slip on the cover and then join it all back up again with a bit of terminal block, or just strip the wire and twist it together then strap up with a bit of lecy tape. :whistle:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My only addition to the excellent advice (by the OP!) would be to give the terminals a spray with WD40 or similar before putting the cover on. The plated screws into brass terminals corrode fairly readily. An alternative that I use is to dip the prepared wire ends into industrial PJ before pushing them into the terminals.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My only addition to the excellent advice (by the OP!) would be to give the terminals a spray with WD40 or similar before putting the cover on. The plated screws into brass terminals corrode fairly readily. An alternative that I use is to dip the prepared wire ends into industrial PJ before pushing them into the terminals.

Pyjamas? What's industrial PJ?

Tim

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks everyone.
Thank you Techno100 for the link with all the pics.

I don't understand spraying WD40 inside a plug? I thought electrics couldn't get wet---have I not followed you properly?

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I made up a lead a couple of years ago and the rubber is deteriorating it's cracked and split.
Is there a specific cable to use ?

Vlad

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Good advice here. I am not an electrician but I can spot an accident waiting to happen fron 1/2 a mile.

Some years ago I was involved with a bike race team and they had all the hook up leads for getting power at the circuit, one time I was helping he guys pack away and was unplugging and winding up all the cables. So that they had the option of plugging into the proper round sockets like we use and also a standard 3 pin socket as required, they had the 3 pin 13 amp plug piggy backed of the proper round plug and YES the 3 pin plug was live when plugged in by the round one.

When I pointed it out he said oh OK I will sort it out when I get home, you won't as I have disconnected them all I replied, could not leave it like that.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks everyone.
Thank you Techno100 for the link with all the pics.

I don't understand spraying WD40 inside a plug? I thought electrics couldn't get wet---have I not followed you properly?
Electrics will work when surprisingly wet. Not very safely though when we're talking about mains. The WD 40 or PJ stops corrosion in the presence of condensation. Won't help if the plug or socket is full of water.:xsmile:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
As an aside, PURE water, ie, distilled etc. is actually an insulator. It's only ORDINARY water that conducts electricity.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The campervan end of my lead has pinch terminal connections that are designed to pull out and be easily rewired if you drive away connected. As mentioned the earth comes out last ensuring the trip at the powered end goes before live wires are exposed on the floor.

I found this out by forgetting to unplug as I drove away..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
WD40 ?
The killer of all things electronic ?
It is good if you can clean off residue and renew it regularly ( about every three weeks or so ).. But general use ?
You do know that the bloody stuff becomes hygroscopic after a while and far from repelling moisture actually absorbs it !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back