Hook up cables 1.5 or 2.5 core? (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I want a new hook up cable for the doblo the one I have is only 10M and I had to borrow one at the last site I visited. I only have one socket, but have been known to use an extension lead to run a couple of things at once. Have a waeco compressor fridge and 3 led lights oh and it runs the battery charger too. Which would be suitable. the 2.5 core we have in the mizar is very bulky, but it is 25M.
Advice please lovely people.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
In France last year we had to join 2 x 25 m cables to connect to hook up...

Hate to think the volt drop if they were on 1.5mm2.

I quite like the comfort of a little more robustness with 2.5mm2 cable

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I made up 25m and 10m 1.5mm cables, which together take up the same space as the 2.5mm 25m cable. But I only use the 1.5s outside the UK. If we planned to use say a CMC site in the UK I would take the 2.5 as I'm fairly sure they insist on them.

See C&MC Sites Directory and Handbook 2019/2020 at page 668. It's a safety requirement.

"11 Electrical hook-ups

d. Only single cables are to be used - no joints or splitters are allowed."

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Voltage will sag which will cause the amps to rise, connectors, pins and small cables not designed for those amps will feel the heat.
Wrong I'm afraid, lower voltage equals lower current.
Both twice as wrong as each othero_O. For dumb devices like kettles the amps will fall as the voltage falls. 3% voltage drop = about 6% power drop.
Smart devices like power supplies and laptop chargers will draw more current to compensate for the voltage loss, to keep the same power output.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
great responses, only have a low wattage kettle, a remoska and a 1KW thermostatic heater which is never on full blast and not all used at once. think I will go with the 1.5 and get a fancy blue one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I see that many are saying they carry 2 cables. Do be aware that if you stay on a CMHC site, their rules do not allow joining of cables. Some wardens ignore it but some don’t.

That being the case I would go out and buy a 1mm cable at 100m long.

Coil it up as tight as possible and leave it in full view drawing as much load as I could warming up my quest with the door open ??

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Coil it up as tight as possible and leave it in full view drawing as much load as I could warming up my quest with the door open ??

that is basically what i have seen a lot of continentals do.... well almost!!!:rolleyes: they have a cable drum wound tight with around 30 meters of 1.5 cable, unreel less than 10 meters, plug into the van, switch everything on and stand cable reel outside hab door... assume to help with heating :xdoh:.
never seen anyone of them with a cable reel unravel it all prior to plugging in.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I see that many are saying they carry 2 cables. Do be aware that if you stay on a CMHC site, their rules do not allow joining of cables. Some wardens ignore it but some don’t.

2!! I've about 5 at the moment & that's just here.5m , 25m , 15m , last one I bought in essex at a car boot was 25m x 6mm=£8 :xrofl: & I had to walk away as he had 3 more I had to resist buying. I've left a 5m at home with the MH plugged in plus friends here I gave a 15m one to. You can't have too many cables. Apart from having somewhere to put them.
See C&MC Sites Directory and Handbook 2019/2020 at page 668. It's a safety requirement.

"11 Electrical hook-ups

Why?? On a work site nothing would be thought of multiple 50m extension leads joined to access power?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
The standard BS4343 blue fittings are splashproof not rated as waterproof so IF they lay in puddle they could cause the trip to come out on the conn point. Thats IF.
On many, many continental sites I see 0.75 pvc , on a cable reel usually just slung under the van without unwinding. Also in France we had 2 sites on blue sockets with reversed polarity and someone tried to tell me that it made the electric go out rather than come in!
As already said, it really depends on what load you need to put on the cable. I have used 1.5 arctic for years
Mike
PS If you are buying a new lead and it seems cheap make sure its made of copper conductors not copper coated steel or aulminium

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Its never a problem on CMC sites, or C&CC sites, you are always fairly close to a bollard. Its abroad longer cables are often needed.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Its never a problem on CMC sites, or C&CC sites, you are always fairly close to a bollard. Its abroad longer cables are often needed.
We have a cable drum which has a 3 pin socket into which we plug a short cable that goes into the van connection. OH assures me it has lots of safety features. On the journey home from Europe we stayed on 3 different CMHC sites. On the first, the warden checked all round and under our van as the previous occupant thought he had left his aqua roll handle there, must have seen our cable but made no comment, on the 2nd, male warden must have seen it when mowing the grass and Mrs Warden came and told us to disconnect (these wardens had 2 caravans in their compound, no more than 3 metres apart and both were occupied on at least one night. 6m rule not enforced!), so having paid for 3 nights we spent 2 without EHU, on the 3rd site, nothing said. Staying later on a CCC site showed the warden our setup. No problem, he used the same when he went to France.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Both twice as wrong as each othero_O. For dumb devices like kettles the amps will fall as the voltage falls. 3% voltage drop = about 6% power drop.
Smart devices like power supplies and laptop chargers will draw more current to compensate for the voltage loss, to keep the same power output.

Why am I wrong then? ? I think we basically agree don't we?

Wrong I'm afraid, lower voltage equals lower current. Common misconception.

What you're thinking is to keep the same power used current would have to be higher... But with a lower voltage the power consumed is less ?
?

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yet another reason not to join. :giggle:

I am ambivalent. I carry 2 x 25m cables and have on occassions needed both to reach. One is 2.5mm the other is 1.5mm. I use the thicker one as standard, including when on hook up at home.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977

"11 Electrical hook-ups

And don't forget to park facing the right way with your jockey wheel on the spot......

Just get out of the silly UK rules into Europe and enjoy your 1.5mm 50m cable.

In reality, if the cable gets warm it's too thin otherwise use what you have.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
We have a cable drum which has a 3 pin socket into which we plug a short cable that goes into the van connection. OH assures me it has lots of safety features.

Depends on the sort of 3 pin socket. If it was a standard domestic socket on the cable drum without a water resistant housing for the socket and any plug fitted, then the wardens were quite right. Cable drums have limited safety features in reality. Most cable reals simply have a thermal overload protection, which is neither here nor there when using as an EHU hookup cable.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Reality as we know it will end and you will be cast down into an alternate reality that will bring about the ultimate destruction of mankind; and no your cable won't melt. IT WILL BURST INTO FLAME AND INCINERATE US ALL....DONT DO IT!!!
Been there got the T shirt
I think that all cables should be inspected
And approved when arriving at site.Maybe our two main clubs should pick up the batten

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Despite what is said the size of cable is determined by size of the load as specified by the 3% voltage drop.
Perhaps I am alone in that I have installed a cheapy device close to the input which shows input voltage and current flowing.
I dont know if newer vans have such a facility but it seems daft to be on Spain on a 6 or 10 amp (luxury) hookup if you only know what current your taking when the bollard trips out.
Personally our kettle is 700watts, on a 6 amp supply I only run the fridge but alternate between the water heater and the kettle .
Just out of interest the lowest voltage I have seen was at a wine festival on the Moselle at 164v! The charger didnt like it at all and keep switching the battery charger in and out, until the voltage rises and then it cuts back in. What you hear is a regular clicking of the relay.
Mike

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
someone's wrong on t'internet.png

Upvote 0
Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Come on mike you have peeked my interest what is this device and where did you get it from sounds like a great mod ( maybe another thing for Lenny‘s gin palace thread.lol.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you lot are so naff, I carry 3 hook up leads 15m of 4mm, 5m of 4mm and 25m of 2.5mm

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Come on mike you have peeked my interest what is this device and where did you get it from sounds like a great mod ( maybe another thing for Lenny‘s gin palace thread.lol.
It could be a plug in watt meter, integrated into the van or an early type of household smartmeter like I've got on the Duke shed?... or just a simple clamp meter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Yes you could measure the curent with a clamp meter but this is a digital display of AC voltage and current
Ebay Item 383242908131 at £6.04 is similar. I mounted mine in a deep plastic box in a locker above the intake point. It is powered from the 240v .
Be aware that you will need to put just 1 turn of the live or neutral thru the current transformer ring and that wire will be at mains voltage and carry the full load, so be aware. I also fitted a small rocker switch to the front of the box as I dont leave the display on all the time
A project thats nice to have but perhaps not for the faint hearted!
Mike
Sorry cant see how to paste the ebay details as a pic etc

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes you could measure the curent with a clamp meter but this is a digital display of AC voltage and current
Ebay Item 383242908131 at £6.04 is similar. I mounted mine in a deep plastic box in a locker above the intake point. It is powered from the 240v .
Be aware that you will need to put just 1 turn of the live or neutral thru the current transformer ring and that wire will be at mains voltage and carry the full load, so be aware. I also fitted a small rocker switch to the front of the box as I dont leave the display on all the time
A project thats nice to have but perhaps not for the faint hearted!
Mike
Sorry cant see how to paste the ebay details as a pic etc

?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back