Hook up cable (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Could someone please tell me the cable diameter of standard 16A 240v hook up cable (25m). Is it 1.5mm or 2.5mm? Also is there a difference between the colours blue, yellow or orange?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
2.5mm but the colour thing is a bit variable. In theory yellow is 110v, blue cables are for extra low (Arctic) temperatures and orange is the commonly used one. But buy your EHU cable off eBay and the colour could mean only that was the one they had in stock at the time they made it up. :)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The artic cable is more pliable so easier to roll up.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
@Chrisy The colour does not indicate the temperature range. PVC arctic cable comes in several colours including blue yellow orange and black. Called arctic because it remains pliable at low temperatures. Offshore we used the cable colour as a guide to the voltage of the light duty (to 32A) flexible extension cable reserving yellow for 110v blue for 220v as this coincides with the IEC plug colours for those voltages. However these cables are subject to very frequent inspection and testing to ensure their safety in such a harsh environment.
For use with our mh I prefer HO7RNF rubber insulated cable. It is much tougher than PVC arctic, more abrasion resistant, more chemical resistant etc etc though only comes in black. It also does not retain coil 'memory' so is much easier to layout and coil up even after having been on a cable drum for months.
As to cross section, I would personally use 2.5mm. 1.5mm is rated at 16Amps so it is adequate but I prefer the extra overload capacity of 2.5mm at 24A.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think the best is 25metres of orange 2.5 mm cable with new ends, well that's what I'm selling so I would say that.;) £15 collect from Bedford.(y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting, I think the orange colour typically used in the UK for hook-up cables must be a British thing. Most of the continentals appear to have black hook-ups.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our van came with a 25m 2.5mm orange cable. I swapped it for a 25m 1.5mm cable which is lighter and easier to store, there's nothing in the van that uses more than 8a anyway... :pop: :D

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
1.5mm will do 16A at 25m, but is right on the open air limit - so if you coil it slightly, you'd need to derate it. There, got a reference to coiled cable in :whistle:
For the minimal difference in price, go with 2.5mm

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Interesting, I think the orange colour typically used in the UK for hook-up cables must be a British thing. Most of the continentals appear to have black hook-ups.
Main advantage of orange is its visibility of course, the one drawback of H07RNF cable. Think you will find that this is what a lot of 'continental cables are. Its an awful lot easier to deal with than the standard UK orange PVC stuff which often isn't arctic grade either.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Main advantage of orange is its visibility of course, the one drawback of H07RNF cable. Think you will find that this is what a lot of 'continental cables are. Its an awful lot easier to deal with than the standard UK orange PVC stuff which often isn't arctic grade either.
H07RNF is a bit technical for me - I had to look it up on Google! ;)

But wonder why we are different? And yes, of course I appreciate the visibility aspect. :)

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Thanks all. Will go for 2.5mm. Is there such a thing as a descent reel to store it on. The orange plastic ones look pretty poor. Is it possible to get a wind up reel that is not loaded with cable or sockets? I know some will say use the YouTube cable coiling method but would prefer a reel that you can just roll up and unroll.

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
How do you keep it if you don't coil it up? Mines a bit long to fit in the van or my shed left uncoiled!:D

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Thanks all. Will go for 2.5mm. Is there such a thing as a descent reel to store it on. The orange plastic ones look pretty poor. Is it possible to get a wind up reel that is not loaded with cable or sockets? I know some will say use the YouTube cable coiling method but would prefer a reel that you can just roll up and unroll.
Yes, try a quick Google or Amazon search for a multitude of types. RH has one installed permanently in a bottom locker with a simple plug and socket on the side to transfer power into the van. I think you are sensible going for 2.5mm and you would find the cable I suggested will wind on and off your reel more easily than the PVC types.

H07RNF is a bit technical for me - I had to look it up on Google! ;)

But wonder why we are different? And yes, of course I appreciate the visibility aspect. :)
Don't know why the difference with our Continental chums unless they discovered the flexibility of H07RNF, maybe they tend to use their MH's in colder weather? PVC arctic only retains its improved flexibility down to -15C. :)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009

I use one of the plastic reels, they are flimsy, but mine is 7 years old and still ok.
Broken Link Removed

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000

I think you will find that most of the French use a standard 1.2 or 2.5 sq. mm cable fitted with a euro plug (2-pin with scraper earth) and a standard French female socket which they can buy in any DIY store, then use short adapter leads at each end if /as required.

J

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back