hook up abroad (1 Viewer)

Riduna

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Reading through my Europe site guide, I noticed the advice to make sure that I have a multi adapter for electric hook up. Does our standard hookup plug not fit in Belgium or Holland. I have visited both by boat and not had any problem with connection. Grateful for any advice you can give us.
Mike and Viv

Essex

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Take one of these with you also.
leaderloisirs_325x242_232.jpg

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We got to a site near Zeebrugge that had a standard continental 2 pin plug with a hole right through it to match a pin on the distribution board, presumably to stop reverse polarity?

Didn't have one of these but the site kindly lent us one.

Never seen this anywhere else, was gonna buy one off ebay with that "just in case" mentality but couldn't find one.

Hymie.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have come across the two pin connectors so worth having the adaptor: Broken Link Removed

The pin sticking out of the socket is the earth - this is the French type plug but elsewhere you will find them without this and the earth is on the outside. This plug works in both.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
We carry an adapter like the one elemessa has posted. The only time that it or our standard connector wasn't any good was in Switzerland where they have their own, different sockets. They seemed to be aware that this causes problems for people as they had plenty of adapters available for loan. I wouldn't be surprised if, as sites are rewired, this situation is getting rarer. Last happened to us in 2008.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Before we're off in September I want to make up one of those short reverse polarity leads. I was going to buy some 25mm cable to do this and then noticed that the common europe adapter (pictured in this thread) is 1.5mm. I'm assuming then it would be ok to make my lead up using 1.5mm cable as well, he says hoping the reply will be yes ;)

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Why not use a foot or so off the end of the cable you already have? You would then only have to buy the plug and socket.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Good thinking, I thought of that one myself but then ...I only carry the one 25m lead and sods law being what it is, I will end up in some distant camp site a metre short of the EHU.

OP
OP
R

Riduna

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Wow! thanks for your response, I have created an adapter off an existing cable from my boating days, fortunately, I had a french plug tucked away, always new it would come in handy. I found out what I needed from the Funsters, thank you all.

Mike and Viv
Essex

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back