Honda looking for younger riders... why dont they like bikes. (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
The problem is that most of these accidents are not the fault of the one who comes off worst. I haven't ridden in the ' smart phone ' era, but I cant imagine that its got any better.

Its why I choose to race, rather than road ride, because there is a point to it . Having lost a long time friend and competitor last year to a guy doing a U turn because his Sat Nav told him to, while they were going out for a summer Ice Cream, the risk/reward ratio isn't anywhere near enough for me.

Sometimes though you have to realise that there is more to being alive , than just not being dead.
I have found that in countries where kids get to ride early (France, Italy & Spain) the car drivers are far more aware of bikes, they probably rode one for some years before getting in a car.
That awareness makes for less SMIDSY's.
Risk aware not risk averse is the way forward.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As they say, if you have to ask what's so special about riding a bike, you'll never understand.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
A fair number of these people riding bikes should not be,it’s scary when I look at the way some of these act on the road.
Racing up in between rows of cars on motorways or cutting in and out of traffic, and some of these scooter riders must have a death wish!!

Had bikes since I was 7 and been riding trials for 29 years without any major injuries and yes I did the expert route up until about 4 years ago so had some serious crashes ?

My take on riding on the road is that everyone is out to kill me, seems to have worked for the last 40 years!!

R1guy

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
Before I get a roasting I was joking about the HUD. I do use the intercom though and take calls on the phone through it.

All the rest was a joke...............honest officer!

There is no doubt that any external influences are not to be taken lightly on a m/bike
The sad thing is there is now HUD available for helmets. Stupid idea!

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Don't talk daft .. of course you can! :Eeek:
View attachment 361225

this is my version , looks like they have 8 , we only managed 7 , taken at donington 27 years ago years ago , that’s me on the front with the beef , the little girl is my now 35 year old daughter , my son is on the guys other arm you can just see his leg , some journalist took a picture as we were driving about the camping area & ended up in a bike magazine

5812AEE2-8D5D-407C-A83D-C2AAC4D1B22B.jpeg

OP
OP
PhilG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
this is my version , looks like they have 8 , we only managed 7 , taken at donington 27 years ago years ago , that’s me on the front with the beef , the little girl is my now 35 year old daughter , my son is on the guys other arm you can just see his leg , some journalist took a picture as we were driving about the camping area & ended up in a bike magazine

View attachment 366687
Team Bike Tours... what a time to be alive.. Le Mans and the Bol D'or , all done with a coupon.

We had a mate who got very drunk, and we cable tied him to a rock next to the bridge on the Mistrale Straight at Paul Ricard, his picture ended up in one of these montages , 2 years later at the GP at Assen ,. in the football club bar , a Dutchie asked him where his rock was.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Casualty rate1 per billion vehicle miles Killed Killed or seriously injured Car occupants 2 21 34 463 34 1,036 Pedestrian2 Pedal cyclist Motorcycle users 114 1,789

Didn't work it was in a table. Basically you are over 50x more likely to die per mile than in a car. In an era where personal injury claims are common that must have a huge effect on insurance prices. I haven't ridden a bike since getting knocked off when we lived in London years ago. I decided t was just a matter of time until someone did a proper job. That's not to say Im anti bike I fly a motor glider for fun there have been 4 fatal gliding accidents at the club while I've been a member. Its a balance of risk and enjoyment.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Very nice. I did my first tour of France / Spain in '67 or '68 on a 1948 Norton M50 bought for £35. The following year did France / Switzerland / Italy but it died on the way home just South of Rouen with a cracked piston. When I got it home I converted it to a 500 using ES2 parts. Both trips were continually interrupted by Gendarmes who stopped me because they were fascinated by the bike and Norton in general. I answered many questions about it in schoolboy French :smiley: .
This was about the same year I did a 3000 mile tour of Europe on a 120cc scooter. Most dangerous thing was almost being hit by a very large deer early one morning in Germany. I can still see it charging across the road just feet in front of me.

Would not ride a bike these days, too much traffic and too many stupid drivers. I intend to get my money's worth from my pension.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It may well be down to the cost of bikes now .. I got my first one (Triumph Speed Twin) for £4 .. bet you can't do that now!

This brought back memories my first bike (Scooter ,Apologies) was a Vespa that I swapped an Electric Drill for, I wanted a Scooter he wanted a Drill, I think I got the bet part of the deal.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
A fair number of these people riding bikes should not be,it’s scary when I look at the way some of these act on the road.
Racing up in between rows of cars on motorways or cutting in and out of traffic, and some of these scooter riders must have a death wish!!

Had bikes since I was 7 and been riding trials for 29 years without any major injuries and yes I did the expert route up until about 4 years ago so had some serious crashes ?

My take on riding on the road is that everyone is out to kill me, seems to have worked for the last 40 years!!

I have a similar take only I ride on the basis that the Car drivers can’t see me.worked so far.
I also rode Trials and had some of the best times made lifetime mates ,great social life but sadly the Sections and age caught up.
Still got my RTL in immaculate condition after a bit of TLC.
Now taken up Mountain Biking, Ebike, Specialized Levo, love it and the Trials experience helps on the tech stuff.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I have a similar take only I ride on the basis that the Car drivers can’t see me.worked so far.
I also rode Trials and had some of the best times made lifetime mates ,great social life but sadly the Sections and age caught up.
Still got my RTL in immaculate condition after a bit of TLC.
Now taken up Mountain Biking, Ebike, Specialized Levo, love it and the Trials experience helps on the tech stuff.

Use to love the challenge when I was ridding good, unfortunately after a long illness had to give up riding the expert route so dropped down a grade, still a bit iffy on some sections but doesn’t hurt as much when I crash now:rofl: :rofl:

Have a Levo also??
Have you the light blue app on yours?

0B82143F-F12E-43A1-81B5-23B073DBDDD3.jpeg

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
I have found that in countries where kids get to ride early (France, Italy & Spain) the car drivers are far more aware of bikes, they probably rode one for some years before getting in a car.
That awareness makes for less SMIDSY's.
Exactly. Spot on. They're much more bike aware (push as well as motor) over here. Also tyres heat up quicker, not as many wet leaves on the road, priority from the right rule on unmarked tee junctions and much lower speed limits in town (20kph is 12mph, 30kph is 18mph).

hayabusabart

Banned
Feb 13, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Exp
since 2014
Mainly its down to the nanny snowflake state.. don't ride a motorbike because you might get hurt etc..
someone said to me once.. "why do you like riding a motorbike?"
my reply..
"because its the most fun I can have with my still clothes on"
someone at Honda should use this motto to persuade the youngsters that riding is good for you

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Mainly its down to the nanny snowflake state.. don't ride a motorbike because you might get hurt etc..
someone said to me once.. "why do you like riding a motorbike?"
my reply..
"because its the most fun I can have with my still clothes on"
someone at Honda should use this motto to persuade the youngsters that riding is good for you

And you don’t need permission to ride it

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
You either like riding a bike or you don't, I was brought up with motorbikes, my Grandfather rode one as did my father and big brother, I passed my test on my 16th birthday in 1968 and in 51 years have never been without owning at least one.

I love my cars but when out on a bike with my mates or on my own I always have smile on my face.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back