Honda EU20i lpg / petrol on the move ! (1 Viewer)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I don’t know about the Honda, and inclement weather, imagine all the rain and muck being thrown up underneath, even when the generator is not being used, but I have run our chassis mounted 5.5kw Onan for that very reason to keep the bedroom cool, whilst travelling. But, it is designed to work and exist in that sort of environment. :gum:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The Victron will, plenty of batteries and solar. But the alternator cannot cope at 100amps. No uprating available. I think our last Mercedes was 240amp.
There may not be one available OEM but any decent automotive electrical place would find one. It's still the much better option.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think the other issue is that the battery charger and cables may not be able to cope
If the alternator is providing power on the move the charger will be doing nothing. The charging cable from the alternator will need to be increased in size though. Once on EHU you will be running the aircon directly from the mains so the charger will simply be doing what it normally does.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It would depend on the housing you mount it in , things to be considered would be airflow , exhaust exit point , and protecting it from the elements in adverse conditions , when it is unlikely to be in use. Then there is access for starting , if not elec remote start .
I did use my onboard generator (OE fitment) to boost my chassis batteries when the alt wire broke in Calais whilst driving off ferry and into suitable park spot at night once :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I am not sure how that would work?
I was working on the assumption that you could charge your batteries at a decent rate and run an inverter whilst driving, rather than running a genny - may have misunderstood what you are trying to achieve though

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I was working on the assumption that you could charge your batteries at a decent rate and run an inverter whilst driving, rather than running a genny - may have misunderstood what you are trying to achieve though

I want to be able to run the inverter (to power the A/C) whilst on the move.

The Victron can cope. I think the Alternator can cope with the A/C, but the fridge and other things are drawing at the same time.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I want to be able to run the inverter (to power the A/C) whilst on the move.

The Victron can cope. I think the Alternator can cope with the A/C, but the fridge and other things are drawing at the same time.
From memory our fridge only draws 6 amps when running on 12V, so not much of a draw

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
On our new van I didn't want our inverter to have any effect on main leisure batery, so I installed a dedicated battery bank purely for the inverter, then charged this with a B2B charger and solar panels.
The benefit of this is that if the inverter drains the dedicated battery, then the main leisure battery and its associated 12v circuits are not affected.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
12 v fridge elements are rated at 120w, or more, depending on fridge.,,. so a minimum of 10A

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
On our new van I didn't want our inverter to have any effect on main leisure batery, so I installed a dedicated battery bank purely for the inverter, then charged this with a B2B charger and solar panels.
The benefit of this is that if the inverter drains the dedicated battery, then the main leisure battery and its associated 12v circuits are not affected.

Thank you so much.

May I ask what B2B you used?

Trevor

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The Victron will, plenty of batteries and solar. But the alternator cannot cope at 100amps. No uprating available. I think our last Mercedes was 240amp.

There used to be an auto electrician on ebay that could rewind alternators for a higher output or supply a form and fit replacement with a higher output.

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
saw a dutch van in st Andrews he had his honda genni on rack at the back in specialy made vented box he used it while driving

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Like one of these?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back