RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
This is a really fast knock-down fly killer, much quicker than the aerosol sprays.

2 cups of white vinegar
1 cup of water
2 teaspoons of washing up liquid
Add to a spray bottle and use as required. Wasps take a little longer to die but they don't keep buzzing around which is definitely a bonus.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This is a really fast knock-down fly killer, much quicker than the aerosol sprays.

2 cups of white vinegar
1 cup of water
2 teaspoons of washing up liquid
Add to a spray bottle and use as required. Wasps take a little longer to die but they don't keep buzzing around which is definitely a bonus.
Good tip except why kill wasps? They're totally harmless and do a lot of good. Simply move them outside.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Flies in Spain sometimes just refuse to die with the traditional nerve agent. It makes them twitch and land for a rest etc, but they recover after 20 mins. Apparently the hot weather gives them a fast metabolism and they metabolise the poison out of the body before it kills them.

Might knock some potion up before the next trip then, thanks?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Good tip except why kill wasps? They're totally harmless and do a lot of good. Simply move them outside.
Harmless? Yeah right! You're obviously not an allergic person, and therefore never had an anaphylatic shock.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Harmless? Yeah right! You're obviously not an allergic person, and therefore never had an anaphylatic shock.
I understand that. But no matter how many you kill there are always more so putting them outside is still better than killing them.

OP
OP
RitaG

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Does that really work as it's the same recipe as a general household cleaner?

Denise
Hi Denise, apparently it is the borax in the washing up liquid that makes them drown. Been using it today to get rid of the pesky flies. An added bonus is if you catch them on the window you can also clean them after with a wipe over of a paper towel.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Quartered the ingredients and made a sample ? now to the garden!
20190824_194731.jpg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Found a spider, zapped it and it went flying down it's silk. It stayed tucked into a ball for 20 seconds, then it's legs popped out and it walked off! ?
All flies must have retired for the evening, ?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If you use this stuff inside your average Motorhome your going to be making a sticky mess of the furnishings

OP
OP
RitaG

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
If you use this stuff inside your average Motorhome your going to be making a sticky mess of the furnishings
I wouldn't recommend it for inside the motorhome either but it works a treat at home.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Insects are on the decline in the UK. They are an important part of the ecosystem and should be respected as such.
That said, house flies have really bad table manners and should be punished accordingly.
Wasps just cant help themselves as they have a penchant for jam butties, so can be a little overbearing at times, however, if asked politely to leave, they often will. If they still refuse to leave you can try one of two things, either hiss at them, it sounds silly I know but it does work, or, calmly use a glass and card to trap them, and then toss them out the window. (Assuming you're indoors). Of course, If you have a fear or phobia of wasps, then rationality will be the first thing out the window, followed quickly by the waving and flapping of limbs which is almost guaranteed to get you stung and bring in all his buddies to join the affray.

If you have insects that have invited themselves to spend the night with you, moths, mozzies, beetles etc, then they can be encouraged to leave by placing a very bright light outside and away from the van (next to the noisy neighbours van perhaps) whilst turning off all the interior lights. They'll soon see the light and depart, leaving you to get a restful night's sleep without the worry of bugs crawling over your face, up your nose, into your ears, biting, scratching, nibbling away at you while you sleep.

Happy dreams!
??

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Can someone tell me what good ants do?
They may be beneficial in a forest or woods but what about the mess the little buggers make on my lawn and paving.

Richard

Probably not a lot......but......
You could try asking them if they'd do the weeding for you, since they're not paying any rent and leaving their mess behind.....you know......might be worth a try before you nuke them.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Don’t know if this will work or not but for anyone adverse to wasps it might be worth a try. In Cyprus flies used to come indoors from November onwards, horrible when you’re eating in a restaurant. Waitresses used to spray a handful of paper napkins with fly spray and stand them in a glass on each table ( nice to have that toxicity so close to your food ?) The vinegar solution sprayed likewise might keep flies and wasps away.

Don’t know what to do with spiders in the bath if I can’t put them outside. Usually catch them and put them on a plant outside the kitchen door.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Careful using it in the house, it stinks of vinegar... Err it would wouldn't it ?

Think I've got away with it, told her it's some paint I'm using :giggler:

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Don’t know what to do with spiders in the bath

I normally light some tea lights, scatter some rose petals, drop in some essential oils and play some Bach or Telemann on the stereo. I find that relaxes them.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Anyone got any advice on killing moles? No not the ones on the end of your nose.

Yeah, wait for them by the pile of dirt in the middle of your lawn and use a baseball bat. They usually make an appearance at night so a torch would be handy, if you have a D cell Maglite torch then you won't need the baseball bat.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yeah, wait for them by the pile of dirt in the middle of your lawn and use a baseball bat. They usually make an appearance at night so a torch would be handy, if you have a D cell Maglite torch then you won't need the baseball bat.
Watch the Jasper Carrott sketch for tips.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Insects are on the decline in the UK. They are an important part of the ecosystem and should be respected as such.
That said, house flies have really bad table manners and should be punished accordingly.
Wasps just cant help themselves as they have a penchant for jam butties, so can be a little overbearing at times, however, if asked politely to leave, they often will. If they still refuse to leave you can try one of two things, either hiss at them, it sounds silly I know but it does work, or, calmly use a glass and card to trap them, and then toss them out the window. (Assuming you're indoors). Of course, If you have a fear or phobia of wasps, then rationality will be the first thing out the window, followed quickly by the waving and flapping of limbs which is almost guaranteed to get you stung and bring in all his buddies to join the affray.

If you have insects that have invited themselves to spend the night with you, moths, mozzies, beetles etc, then they can be encouraged to leave by placing a very bright light outside and away from the van (next to the noisy neighbours van perhaps) whilst turning off all the interior lights. They'll soon see the light and depart, leaving you to get a restful night's sleep without the worry of bugs crawling over your face, up your nose, into your ears, biting, scratching, nibbling away at you while you sleep.

Happy dreams!
??
When all that fails and you have a van full of 100+ hungry midges, its time for.........
51gdUEKMfYL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back