Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Our virgin contract is up soon, and renewal is coming in at circa £80 pm.
That’s a lot of dosh for the relatively small amount of use it gets.
Has anybody gone down the route of getting their tv via a home WiFi modem.
We’ve got Netflix, and amazon prime on a firestick, which should cover our needs, and a modem from 3 costs about £28 pm, a big difference from £80.
Would/could I get a recording box to put “inline” to record when away.
We wouldn’t need a landline phone any more, using our mobiles for everything.
Cheers me dears
Geoff

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Geoff, we have a firestick with extra apps on at home and another to use in the van. No difference in service between the two. But we do have cable internet via Virgin in the house. Keep thinking that we will bin Virgin and just use Three in a router. will also mean we can bin the barely used phone line

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
with your amazon firestick you can get live TV
Appreciate that, that how I do it in the van.
Just wondered on the practicality of doing the same in the home, with the option to record.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
HDhomerun. Needs an antenna but offers many options. Or link it to Plex, but that may be a bridge too far? Firetv has the Plex app too for remote access.

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Just wondered on the practicality of doing the same in the home, with the option to record.

John,
That’s what I want to do. Any real problems with it?
I would be using 3 in a router, we do have good WiFi here, 40 download and 10 upload on the phones

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
HDhomerun. Needs an antenna but offers many options. Or link it to Plex, but that may be a bridge too far? Firetv has the Plex app too for remote access.

Sounds a bit more than I need, but I’ll look at it. Thanks.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi as previously said you can watch live TV via your fire stick and record to a usb stick

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The problem where we live is that we get absolutely rubbish mobile signals on all networks as we live in a dip with a very large building in front of us blocks the signals so need land line.
You need to check your signal before committing.?

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Hi as previously said you can watch live TV via your fire stick and record to a usb stick
That’s the type of info I need. Got the time to explain how?
I don’t want to waste money buying bits I later discover I didn’t need ?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We dropped virgin, got too expensive, now on talk talk, 19.95 a month for 18 months, no issues as yet, broadband plus phone line but not used that yet.
Ps
Uses the phone lines.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
John,
That’s what I want to do. Any real problems with it?
I would be using 3 in a router, we do have good WiFi here, 40 download and 10 upload on the phones
No problems at all with it Geoff, works as it should, but I have an excellent signal at home. Never bothered with recording from the firestick

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
That’s the type of info I need. Got the time to explain how?
I don’t want to waste money buying bits I later discover I didn’t need ?
Sorry i have been leading you up the garden path... just checked you cannot record live TV from a firestick..
i am informed by the boss that we watch live TV via Freeview (rooftop Ariel) we then go into the guide and select record to USB.

but a question if i may, why do you need to record when you have catch up TV

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
having said that i have just googled it and got, so maybe you can record live tv on firestick

1569948475369.png

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Sorry i have been leading you up the garden path... just checked you cannot record live TV from a firestick..
i am informed by the boss that we watch live TV via Freeview (rooftop Ariel) we then go into the guide and select record to USB.

but a question if i may, why do you need to record when you have catch up TV

That’s a good point. Is everything on catch up with firestick, or is some programming once only?

Our paths are crossing!!??

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've dumped the landline and broadband and are now using 3 Home Hub. Not sure what they're charging at the moment but when we took our out a couple of months ago they had a half price offer for 6 months on an 18 month contract. We're paying £11.50 for 6 months and then £23 for 12 months.

We don't have a brilliant broadband in this area as we're not in a fibre area so works much better than the old landline did!

Denise

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I have done quite a bit of testing over the past couple of months with a http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=333346764387

and a Smarty Card which is a part of 3 and runs on the 3 network.

My download and up load speeds have been impressive to say the least far better than BT, I have had down load speeds in excess of 80mbs and never had less down load speed than BT even at peek times.
The Smarty Card costs me £18 75 a month on a one month rolling contract but as long as I do not cancel I am guaranteed a 25% discount for the length of the contract

I fully intent to take up another contract in my wife's name and ditch BT at the end of the month.

I have been so impressed that I have fitted the whole of the tested system in the motor home.
The cost of BT for me personally is around £50 a month and as yet I haven't tested how the system is going to work in a mobile situation but if everything went wrong all can be cancelled

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We don't have any subscription TV services at all and only have mobile phones (no landline), hubby gets unlimited data (as well as calls & texts) for £15 pcm with cashback, I just use a 3 PAYG sim. We can't get BT landline here (no-man's land!) as it's either Kingston Communications or mobile provision.

The question I'd be asking myself is how desperate am I to have a subscription TV service in the first place, for use we don't need or want one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back