LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Tilly has decided that she wast to jump up at the TV when I was sorting out the cables. I now have a dead 49' Smart TV..:worried:

Does anyone have any recommendation for a replacement, possibly Samsung with the ability to record to a USB drive...

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Panasonic, Panasonic & Panasonic. Oh did I mention Panasonic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
There could be lots of parameters to consider. How much do you want to spend? Panel technology type? Do you want a Smart TV to play content via on board apps (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc)? What about 4K, UHD, HDR, HLG and/or audio formats supported? Power efficiency? You may also wish to research image retention/screen burn if you regularly watch hours of channels with static banners such as Sky News.

And then just say sod it and buy the one you like best!

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My current TV is a 49 inch HDR Samsung, smart TV curved screen. Sound quality nit brilliant.

It has freeview abd by the looks of it a satellite input, never used it as I have an echostar.

I know some TV' have the ability to record to a USB, not sure it's a good idea, some forums suggest its a bit clunky..

IMG-20180117-WA0005.jpeg

Spoke to insurance company, they want to know if it can be repaired. .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Beware
some tvs will only play usb recording on the tv that recorded them
so you cant load a stick and play it elsewhere on another tv for example

any and all Samsungs for me tv,phones,tablets etc etc

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The dog has made a very pretty pattern ....! Might be able to sell it as an art installation! :D

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I wouldn’t bother with a curved screen, I got a Samsung 4K built in Freesat and Freeview, all the bells and whistles but to be honest the curved screen spoils it all, it picks up reflections from everywhere.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have 40" Samsung HDR in bedroom and 65" LG HDR in living room, both of which I thought provided a fabulous picture.
Until my daughter bought a new Panasonic 60".
Makes both of mine look decidedly dull and less sharp.
Wish I'd bought Panasonic :(

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The current 'must have' is HDR - High Dynamic Range. It sounds like it's going to have lots more traction than 3D ever did. The problem is that there are 3 main competing standards:
-HDR10 (and HDR10+)
-Dolby Vision
-HLG

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Panasonic for me. Last 4 have been faultless and picture as good as any. However as with most flat screen tv the sound is not special so a good theatre system or sound bar is needed.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Great thread this,,, I need to ask a question!!

I have oyster sat dish, I want a new tv, I reckon I could just get a 42in in the motorhome,
The ones that come with free view etc are just a standard tv aint they? Just plug in run scart from dish and bingo your away???

You don’t need any special set up for freeview?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Yes I to say Panasonic, and errrrr Panasonic. (y)

We had a 37” Plasma Panasonic for over years and Management would not agree to changing it because it worked fine. Her mum bought me a 68” Panasonic for my last birthday, which stuffed Mrs SuperMike ‘cos her mum did it. :) The picture is beyond stunning and the sound is just great.

Shame , in some, respects, because I spent many a happy time planning the original ones demise, to get a replacement. :rofl:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Her mum bought me a 68” Panasonic for my last birthday
The picture is beyond stunning and the sound is just great.
That's interesting. That's the first time I've heard anyone say that about a modern set.

The problem with these super-slim TVs is that it is very difficult to produce an equally super-slim speaker with sound to match the picture quality. The standard recommendation is to play the sound through a decent add-on sound bar or though your existing hi-fi system, or whatever.

I know from my limited work with PA systems that speaker technology has advanced considerably in recent years & that the size & weight of decent speakers has dropped significantly. This will be good news for TV buyers if they can get decent sound without having to route it through a separate system.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Panasonic and the only problem is they go on for ever and ever and ever! (Hope I am not tempting fate!) So if you want to be bang up to date may be the best buy for you!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

I have oyster sat dish, I want a new tv, I reckon I could just get a 42in in the motorhome,
The ones that come with free view etc are just a standard tv aint they? Just plug in run scart from dish and bingo your away???

Freeview is normal tv through an Aerial.
Free to air and freesat is 'free' satellite tv.

IF the tv has the latter built in, the majority don't but the info stickers on the tv will say if it has, you simply connect the dish using a standard satellite F plug, not a scart lead.

If it's just freeview you need a sat box and an HDMI or possibly SCART cable then in the source menu select either SCART or HDMI

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Assuming you have a basic TV at the moment and use a separate receiver box with your satellite dish you can use any TV, but if you want to do away with the receiver box you'll need a TV with satellite input as well as aerial input. You'll find that going for a standard TV without a satellite input will give you more choice.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have got a Panasonic. It’s about 9 years old now and the picture quality is superb. I want a smart tv but I can’t justify getting rid of this one.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
That's interesting. That's the first time I've heard anyone say that about a modern set.

The problem with these super-slim TVs is that it is very difficult to produce an equally super-slim speaker with sound to match the picture quality. The standard recommendation is to play the sound through a decent add-on sound bar or though your existing hi-fi system, or whatever..

Indeed, you are correct. When I want it to really thump, like watching my Dire Straites, Live on the Night, DVD, I use the attached Panasonic sound system, but for every day use, news, basic TV programmes, the internal speakers work well. The TV did cost over £3k from John Lewis, sound system extra, if that has anything to do with it, but then Managements mum was paying. :whistle:

Ever so lucky SuperMike. :)

A couple of days ago, I received an email from Panasonic with their latest models trying to tempt me. Yer right, we've had this one seven months, it must be time for a change. :rofl:

43” LG in the motorhome, which cost £240. Its ok for what it is used for and I feed the sound through the motorhome’s entertainment system, which punches it up, but by comparison to the Panasonic, well, its cr*p. (n)

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Somewhat stupidly, we jumped on the 4K bandwagon as early adopters just over 3 years ago with a curved Samsung tv. I think said curve was no more than a gimmick really.

A few months ago I treated us to one of these LG OLED tvs, which so far I’m really pleased with:

https://www.whathifi.com/lg/oled55b7v/review

Note the pricing in the title is way out of date. I think LG are the only large scale manufacturer of OLED tv panels, supplying Sony, Panasonic etc..

However, with OLED there are reports on web from people suffering image retention from static images on news channel banners, video games, YouTube yellow button etc if left on for extended periods. We’ve not noticed any as yet and there is a screen wash/refresh function you can enable which runs when tv is not being watched.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
We changed to a sony 49" android build in satellite youview or freeview and all the catch up stations, Being android you can sideload it with Kodi and record to usb, a bit complicated but very good pic 4K also you can download most android apps

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have a toshiba 65" and love it. It has freesat, freeview, Freeview play, USB recording and it is connected to our home network so I can play films from my NAS.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave we have just bought a 50 ins Samsung HE smart tv with Sub record in the sales for £364 with a code and top-cashback to come ....very impressed....only bought it because the 47ins LG smart did not have All4 on catch up....for sale Now 200 quid or you can have a 49 ins Lowe smart tv for £400 (cost over £1800)2 yrs ago but hardly been used as it sits in a spare bedropm simply because ots too smart for me to use it :(:D...i need simple which the Samsung is (y)
Terry

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We were tempted by the Samsung but it didn't have freeview play as well as some of the other features the toshiba has

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back