Home TV replacement (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Our Panasonic has to be replaced after many years of working fine. No problems with it, but we need more HDMI sockets due to a new cctv system. Himself has wanted a larger tv for ages but like most Yorkshire souls 'How much' is our anthem.
Can any one tell me if we need Freesat or Freeview. We have a Humax freesat box HDR 1100s. Do we lose all the Smart TV extras by running it through the Humax? I spent most of yesterday on the internet and I am still no wiser.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Our Panasonic has to be replaced after many years of working fine. No problems with it, but we need more HDMI sockets due to a new cctv system. Himself has wanted a larger tv for ages but like most Yorkshire souls 'How much' is our anthem.
Can any one tell me if we need Freesat or Freeview. We have a Humax freesat box HDR 1100s. Do we lose all the Smart TV extras by running it through the Humax? I spent most of yesterday on the internet and I am still no wiser.

I've got an old reliable Panasonic 1080p plasma. It's now on 'dynamic' brightness as it's nowhere near as bright as it used to be. It's also short of HDMI sockets, as is my old surround sound amplifier. My solution is I run an ~£15 HDMI switch box. My all-in-one remote can switch that too, so it's fairly seamless. And no, you don't loose any functionality from external boxes, but it does get increasingly confusing when you've got multiple methods of getting similar stuff. I've got a Freeview box, a NowTV box, a Chromecast, Xbox and Fire Stick.

I'll be getting a new TV soon, but I'm holding off as long as I can.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Tilly has decided that she wast to jump up at the TV when I was sorting out the cables. I now have a dead 49' Smart TV..:worried:

Does anyone have any recommendation for a replacement, possibly Samsung with the ability to record to a USB drive...

Replacement?
Dogs are daft.
Replace it with a cat.
They are usually not heavy enough to damage the tv, also eat less, shit less.
(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Replacement?
Dogs are daft.
Replace it with a cat.
They are usually not heavy enough to damage the tv, also eat less, shit less.
(y)

And they shit in other peoples gardens.(y)

Unfortunately ours doesn't because she is old and senile.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Dave, we looked for one a year ago and chose a 49" Samsung. Good picture. And good sound, considering how thin the thing is. We always used to swear by Sony TVs but the Samsung was noticeably better than the equivalent Sony. Most of the Which best buys were Samsung at the time we bought, but they are now also recommending some LGs as well. Best to get a 4K version as it is supposed to be better even if your signal is only HD.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We were tempted by the Samsung but it didn't have freeview play as well as some of the other features the toshiba has
Our current Samsung has both DTE and DTS tuners. It's 55" and superb. Although we have Sky Q I've used a spare LNB output to connect to the TV. Pointless but I can. So I did :D.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

You would only need a Freesat if you need to use the Sat Dish. If you have terrestrial TV aerial, the TV has one built in reciever. If you want to record TV programs you would need to run the ariel through a FreeView HDrive box but it will have HDMI sockets on it, as will the new TV. You will need a internet router and either Cat5 or WiFi for the smart TV functions.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Tilly and I share the same opinion, most of the programmes are crap, the rest mostly "reality" programmes, are even worse, only someone with the IQ of a Jelly Fish would watch them!
Listen to your Dog @ShiftZZ Dai, destroy the idiot box, read a book!:LOL:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Our current Samsung has both DTE and DTS tuners. It's 55" and superb. Although we have Sky Q I've used a spare LNB output to connect to the TV. Pointless but I can. So I did :D.
But Samsung dont have freeview play, which we wanted. It intergrates the live chanels with the catchup and is easier to find programs.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
But Samsung dont have freeview play, which we wanted. It intergrates the live chanels with the catchup and is easier to find programs.
I'm not familiar with (which means I don't understand:)) Freeview play. Ours couldn't be easier to find anything. I ask the remote (by speaking to it) to find something and it just does. Wherever it is. (Cumbrian) speech recognition rarely fails.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I don't think I've watched live broadcast TV or recorded broadcast stuff in months. Everything I watch on the TV is streamed. Some iPlayer stuff, some series box sets from Amazon and NowTv, but increasingly subscribed stuff on YouTube. The aerial and dish are dead as far as I'm concerned.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back