Home security .... (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
has anyone had any experience of wifi cameras, as in the ones that call you if they see any movement in your home....

Similar to this ...
image.png

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
not that particular one but have just bought a cheepy from china and am very impressed.
cost £20 with full tilt and swivel. very easy to set up but you might want to look at the youtube setup vid to make sure you have interpreted the printed instructions correctly.
it sends an email with a photo of whats caused it to alarm - movement detection - more correctly image change.
you can control it remotely -away from home but it looks more difficult to set that up.
hth

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Not yet as I have someone stay at mine when away .. but it becoming inconvenient. Looked at the Maplins light switch control one and was impressed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Most cctv systems have the ability to remote monitor or sent you email alerts when movement is detected (you can configure specific cameras and zones if you wish) they just connect to your home internet connection (wired or wifi)

Personally, I just use an app to 'have a look at home' whenever I feel like it...
The burglar alarm calls if something more sinister might be happening.

We're away at the moment, quite reassuring to take a look
image.png

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As above we have external and internal cameras that sends pictures of movement. The internal only sends pics when were out.
We can connect to watch and listen live if we need to.
Good quality pics and good night vision ranges too.
Screenshot_2016-08-09-10-45-44.png

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
As above we have external and internal cameras that sends pictures of movement. The internal only sends pics when were out.
We can connect to watch and listen live if we need to.
Good quality pics and good night vision ranges too.
View attachment 119415

Are we talking hundreds or thousands to have these installed please?

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

The ones I'm looking at Joy are about £30 and do much the same, I'm going to get one for indoors and one looking out the front of the house....

There is lots to choose from on eBay....(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Same as with any type of security device. The cheapo DIY ones are what they are, fine if it's only for your peace of mind but useless for anything else.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Same as with any type of security device. The cheapo DIY ones are what they are, fine if it's only for your peace of mind but useless for anything else.

Exactly ..... If I'm away it will tell me someone's in the house and I can call a neighbor or the police .... And the one outside I can tell if my cars been nicked.

Where I live is a very low crime area and I have good neighbors....

Just going to get them for peace of mind and to check while I'm away for months on end...(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Exactly ..... If I'm away it will tell me someone's in the house and I can call a neighbor or the police .... And the one outside I can tell if my cars been nicked.

Where I live is a very low crime area and I have good neighbors....

Just going to get them for peace of mind and to check while I'm away for months on end...(y)

If that's all you want then it will probably be OK.

Two main things to be aware of:

The images from the camera won't be "evidence" quality for the purposes of identification and your insurance company won't recognise it as a valid system so won't give you credit for it.

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We used to have quite expensive Panasonic cameras ... we now use y-cam stuff. Easy diy. We also have a couple of ir floodlights.

Hi, what brand ir floodlights did you get and any recommend suppliers? I have fitted 4 external cameras but need to enhance the ir in one area.
Any help appreciated.

Mike

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We have a couple of the BT home cams set up to monitor the house when we are out. They can also save video footage to the cloud for 2 weeks, send you a text when the detect movement and you can monitor the cameras video through your phone using the BT app. They come up in sales every now and then on the BT website and we got 2 for the price of one. Had them about 2 years now and still work flawlessly.

www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-smart-home-cam-100-077232-9C5D.html

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Sas r us

I've been looking at these

https://ring.com/stickupcam

I've no connection with the company and haven't actually used any of the products yet so I'm not recommending them but I like the look of the doorbell in particular. The feature that I really like is the ability for 2 way communication over the system.

I know they aren't cheap but I'm very much of the opinion that you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to security.

Also with reference to my other posts these products are no different in insurance terms than any other DIY type system.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

2 camera kit from Screwfix with a digital recorder £149.99. Most of the money there is in the recorder.

<Broken link removed>

Installation of this type of kit is basic DIY.

Just to give you an idea of the difference someone we used to work with who owns a proper security/alarm company was quoting £500 per camera about 7 or 8 years ago. Recording facility on top of that. These were obviously top quality cameras, installed by a proper company and backed up by all the proper accreditation. The difference between the system in the link above and one of his could be compared to the difference between a Mini Metro and a Range Rover.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
@Sas r us

I've no connection with the company and haven't actually used any of the products yet so I'm not recommending them but I like the look of the doorbell in particular. The feature that I really like is the ability for 2 way communication over the system.

I know they aren't cheap but I'm very much of the opinion that you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to security.

Also with reference to my other posts these products are no different in insurance terms than any other DIY type system.

Thanks for that Nick, the security thing I'm not much fussed about as in "if they want in, they'll get in" so I'm not after a deterrent.... More of, it will text me that there is movement in the house which In turn I can phone the police or neighbour or to check in that the house hasn't burnt down..:eek:

I live in a rural area and someone could, if they knew I was away take their time and completely empty the house out via the back door without anyone seeing or hearing them..... So what would suit me is just to have a look in my lounge now and again where the camera would be and see that all is well....(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for that Nick, the security thing I'm not much fussed about as in "if they want in, they'll get in" so I'm not after a deterrent.... More of, it will text me that there is movement in the house which In turn I can phone the police or neighbour or to check in that the house hasn't burnt down..:eek:

I live in a rural area and someone could, if they knew I was away take their time and completely empty the house out via the back door without anyone seeing or hearing them..... So what would suit me is just to have a look in my lounge now and again where the camera would be and see that all is well....(y)

The deterrent factor is what I need and it's part of what I like about the Ring kit. Nobody's going to break into our place through the front. When they came in before it was through the back and if they have another go it will be the same way. I quite like the idea that if someone comes into the garden and triggers the camera it will call me and give me the opportunity to challenge them. Someone over a speaker saying "Good evening can I help you? You are on camera and the police have been called" would be enough to scare off your average scrote but to get that with a conventional CCTV system generally starts to get expensive.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just ordered a door bell and a camera. I'll post a bit of a review when they arrive and I've had a play.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I have 2, Motorola Scout cameras, they are ok/quite good :) a slight delay when watching live. They are easy to setup (all wifi) have an app for the phone/tablet, you can listen in on live sound (which works well I can hear the wife in the other room) from the camera and you can talk back live over the camera, they have motion, sound and heat alarm which will alert your app on the phone (free) you can pay for video storage etc. but I just stick to the free service (alerts with pic) and I can then use the phone/tablet app to take extra photos or video and use my phone/tablet storage and as you said I would just phone my neighbour. I did try a cheap ebay one which was rubbish and sent it back, I also looked at the Bt one but they wanted £6.99 pm for the storage don't know if you could store on the phone/tablet.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Sas r us

Just ordered a door bell and a camera. I'll post a bit of a review when they arrive and I've had a play.

Finally had a chance to get the camera for the back garden installed today.

The doorbell has been in and working for about 3 weeks and I have to say it works a treat - does exactly what it claims to do. It's connected to the wiring from my old conventional doorbell which keeps the camera unit charged as well as triggering our existing chime. When someone rings the doorbell I get an alert on my phone which allows me to view who it is and talk to them if I want to. The video quality seems superb but I still doubt would be "evidence quality" purely because it was a DIY install.
The front unit also records and will send an alert if it detects motion regardless of whether someone rings the bell. I have alerts for this turned off.

The rear camera covers the whole back garden quite nicely and with the help of the dogs I've established that the motion detection range is pretty much the entire garden as well.

Setup couldn't be easier. Download the app to your phone and use this to connect each camera to your home wifi network and then screw it to the wall. All you have to do then is set up an online account for the cloud recording if you want to use it.

I know it isn't cheap kit and it won't do what everyone needs but I'm very pleased with it. Ideal for what I wanted.

I would post videos to show the quality but I know that if I do all you lot will do is take this piss about the state of my garden :D:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back