LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Bought this a couple of weeks ago, & I’m impressed!
Amazon product ASIN B0752VYY9NIve been experimenting with various recipes in order to make kefir yoghurt, & have decided that UHT whole milk is the best. I use the milk at room temperature, and add 3 tablespoons of live yoghurt (I started with Yeo Valley organic kefir yoghurt, & now use my own for a few batches before renewing). I put it in the machine for 10 hours at 44 degrees & then put it in the fridge. If I want Greek yoghurt I put it in the provided strainer for about 3 hours, or longer if I want it really thick. I love it, & feel as though I am eating a good natural food,

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
That's really great news Captain Yoghurtpot, both on you feeling better over all and the nurses inquiry too. Well done!

Like you, I have to to thank very much, Ralph and Bev, for the initial introduction to Kefir.
I'd always made only the homemade yoghurt previously, my reason for looking at this thread,( title.)

Also, I am feeling the benifit and generally more energizer daily, I am sleeping and eating better and not as bloated in the evening either. All round much more comfortable.
My skin even had a facial too. Lol.🥰
It worked in the bath by the way, just a fair dollop shwished about whilst it was running. Quite softening and milky.
Caution.... it did however make the bath a bit slippy! That would be the coconut oil I think.

I'm very appreciative for any feedback and helpful suggestions from this thread, being the total novice that I am on Kerfir and also motorhome fun, though I have read plenty of threads since we joined. (My husband, Barry, usually writes everything, sometimes with some small input from me.)
This is the first thread I have ever taken part in, alone and wholeheartedly.!
Hopefully, lots of others are being guided and/or gently persuaded to try Kerfir by all these brilliant funsters.
Thankyou one and all.

I'm coverted to kefir and spreading the benifits to others as well.
Nothing like being over enthusiastic, is there, (always have been especially where health and wellbeing is concerned. )🥰
Margaret.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Stonemags 76
Thanks for the information on the lakeland machine, sounds great and easy to use too.
May be good if the wattage is OK, for motorhoming and especially when we are on reduced electricity on sites abroad.??
The fact you are using full fat uht milk and got good results is very good, and for motorhoming too.
It is such a great learning curve all round. Thanks again.
Margaret.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
Stonemags 76
Thanks for the information on the lakeland machine, sounds great and easy to use too.
May be good if the wattage is OK, for motorhoming and especially when we are on reduced electricity on sites abroad.??
The fact you are using full fat uht milk and got good results is very good, and for motorhoming too.
It is such a great learning curve all round. Thanks again.
Margaret.
I’ve looked, & I think it says 25watts, but it has to be on for a long time, so would use up power if not on EHU I think. A warmed thermos flask may be the answer in the van? If we ever get to travel we can test it!

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Amazon product ASIN B0752VYY9NIve been experimenting with various recipes in order to make kefir yoghurt, & have decided that UHT whole milk is the best. I use the milk at room temperature, and add 3 tablespoons of live yoghurt (I started with Yeo Valley organic kefir yoghurt, & now use my own for a few batches before renewing). I put it in the machine for 10 hours at 44 degrees & then put it in the fridge. If I want Greek yoghurt I put it in the provided strainer for about 3 hours, or longer if I want it really thick. I love it, & feel as though I am eating a good natural food,
That’s the same one as we use, works a treat.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Today made a chocolate Kefir smoothy.

IMG_20210122_160647.jpg
I added dates but raisins can be used either. Very nice for a treat.
Ingredients
Strained Milk Kefir, dates or raisins, cocoa powder, vanilla essence, extra virgin coconut oil, add regular milk if required and optional ice cubes.
All ingredients whizzed up.
I am probably going to adapt this to make my usual yoghurt cake and use good % dark chocolate instead of the cocoa powder.
Hopefully it will turn out nice and yummy. Love a good chocolate cake.
Margaret

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Mmm bet that was yummy Margaret .

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Ralph-n-Bev
Yes thankyou, it was, it tastes a bit like rum and raisin ice cream. ( I've read there is an alcoholic element in Kefir) hic, hic. Lol.🥰 Yum, yum. So much so I've put one glassful in a mould in the freezer, to see more than anything what the texture will be.!?

I'm looking next at making meringues using tinned chick pea water and Kefir and baking cakes too. Takes the place if eggs apparently not tried it yet I've always thrown the water away!!! Garlic and lemon Hummus is great made with the peas too.
I' m so enjoying this thread and usually find time in the day to experiment with Kerfir, thanks down to you again I'm very grateful.
Margaret

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as it is a year on since the last post on this subject.
I am still using the milk Kefir grain that I originally bought a year ago and drink and cook with it daily.
If I am away in mh I usually take the ready Strained Kefir and have thought about longer trips away and what I'd do for my daily intake after using that batch up.
I have experimented with freezing some grains !?!
taking out, periodically, some grains, wrapping in cling film and freezing in small egg sized pouches.
About 2 month ago I had been away, and my "put to sleep" Kefir in home fridge seemed sluggish. Maybe I'd left it too long in fridge, 10 days you can put it to "sleep" for apparently.
Anyway, decided to try a frozen pouch, in full milk, to see what would happen. I let it defrost completely first then added the milk. It took about 2 - 3 days to recover and start to thicken and separate, as it should. It tasted right and smelled good too.
I was really pleased, so now, if and when we can get away in mh for 90days abroad again.🥰 I will be taking some pouches with me to, hopefully, keep taking the Kefir regularly.
Hope this may be helpful to someone to maybe give it a go too.

Margaret

Jun 13, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120 low-line
Exp
Autumn 2020
I use Morrisons Kefir yogurt as a starter and evaporated milk, make it in my instant pot, comes out thick and creamy every time :giggle:

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Tried Kifer not to my tase, so buy a pot of Aldi Greek yogurt 45p mix half of it with boiled cooled milk 1,5 litre and stick it in a yogurt maker , use the other half of the Aldi yogurt the following week.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I missed this thread last year. I make milk kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut and sourdough bread for the health benefits and taste of course. If you're on Facebook there is a group called fermenting friends uk where you can get advice on any fermented foods, people giveaway grains and scoobies and lot's of recipes

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
I use organic kefir yoghurt & whole long life milk in a yoghurt maker. Long life means no heating of the milk, just a few spoons of yoghurt & a carton of milk bunged in in the morning. I then strain it for Greek yoghurt - lovely!

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
I sometimes just make a batch of kefir then freeze it in large cubed silicone mould. I just pop out a cube, add It frozen to the milk. It takes a little longer to achieve the texture I like but works fine. I use the kefir for overnight porridge too. Has any tried freezing their scoby’s?Sorry if I have repeated myself not read back through all the posts.

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
I bought this 2 years ago but not used it yet. I’ll give it a go now that you’ve posted this. I’ll be doing the Greek yogurt.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I've given up on the kefir. My family don't like it, and I prefer yogurt.
I bought a Lakeland yogurt maker, and I make yogurt every day, using semi-skimmed, organic milk and a couple of spoon-fulls of Aldi yogurt. I strain it to make Greek yogurt, and everybody loves it!
I think we'd find it very difficult to go back to shop-bought yogurt.
Thank you for all the ideas contributed in this thread. (y)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Just come across this thread. I started off my first lot of kombucha on Wednesday using a scoby. It doesn't seem to be doing much. Has anyone any experience of this?

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I started off my first lot of kombucha on Wednesday using a scoby. It doesn't seem to be doing much. Has anyone any experience of this?

Hi both, please see #39 above, this might help you.
The milk kafir is quicker, the water Kefir takes longer to get going and ready to drink I think.
I have also frozen some of the "jelly fishy" floating Kefir but have not yet tried it to see if it can be resurrected. I found it takes at least 10 days or longer to get to an acquired taste. Also it depends on what flavours you add, eg: lemon and ginger, for your own preference of taste too. I found it too sweet without any flavouring added.
Good luck
Margaret

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi both, please see #39 above, this might help you.
The milk kafir is quicker, the water Kefir takes longer to get going and ready to drink I think.
I have also frozen some of the "jelly fishy" floating Kefir but have not yet tried it to see if it can be resurrected. I found it takes at least 10 days or longer to get to an acquired taste. Also it depends on what flavours you add, eg: lemon and ginger, for your own preference of taste too. I found it too sweet without any flavouring added.
Good luck
Margaret
Oh sorry Margaret. I didn't realise there was a reference to kombucha I thought it was about kefir. I usually buy kombucha but I'm looking forward to trying my own brew. I'm making it with Yorkshire tea. Hope that works out ok.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I used green tea, haven't tried any other though.
Please note, I don't particulary like green tea normally, even with ginger, which I love in almost anything, however I did find it very pleasant made with the Kombucha. Maybe it was sweeter? The longer I left it the less sweet and more "teay" (is that a word?) it was.
Let us know how things work out please.
So diverse and interesting this thread.
Good luck with your brew.
Margaret.

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I see a someone has mentioned this above and it gets good reviews.

Amazon product ASIN B0752VYY9N
I eat loads of greek yoghurt from Aldi or Lidl - the low fat one, as the calories are lower and the protein content is good at about 10g per 100g. Is it as simple as putting some Aldi yoghurt in the maker, top it up with milk and once its done strain it to make the greek yoghurt?

We drink UHT milk so how would you say the home made greek yoghurt compares with the Aldi one?

Last edited:

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
I see a someone has mentioned this above and it gets good reviews.

Amazon product ASIN B0752VYY9N
I eat loads of greek yoghurt from Aldi or Lidl - the low fat one, as the calories are lower and the protein content is good at about 10g per 100g. Is it as simple as putting some Aldi yoghurt in the maker, top it up with milk and once its done strain it to make the greek yoghurt?

We drink UHT milk so how would you say the home made greek yoghurt compares with the Aldi one?
I have that yoghurt maker, & yes it is as simple as you say! I find full fat UHT gives the best taste, & you strain it to your own desired thickness. It is the nicest yoghurt I have ever had!

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Please note, I don't particulary like green tea normally,
I like green tea and my recipe suggested using a mix of green and black, but I decided to just go with good old Yorkshire to see what that tastes like first before I start experimenting. Should I be seeing signs of life in it? It all looks very serene at the moment. We're going away tomorrow so I will have to take it away with us. It's worse than having a pet. :LOL:

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Depends how long you'll be away I suppose.
I think the instructions say to bottle it and screw top release regularly while it is fermenting in the fridge. You should see some small bubbles rising or hear a fizz when you release it. A small tasting is also recommended to see when you like it to your own taste.
A batch/bottle lasts quite a long time for me because I don:t like it too fizzy and add water to flatten it a bit.
Like you I was a bit hesitant and wondering at first batch, thinking it was "live" !! Lol.🤔
All ok once I got used to it doing its own thing though.
Margaret

May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
I have that yoghurt maker, & yes it is as simple as you say! I find full fat UHT gives the best taste, & you strain it to your own desired thickness. It is the nicest yoghurt I have ever had!
I have one of these yogurt makers but I find the yogurt is tasteless. How do you get the tangy yogurt taste please?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
Maybe it’s your starter? I use kefir yoghurt to start it, & it’s tangy enough for me!

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
I use kefir, to give it more tang I just leave it longer to ferment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back