Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
made my own bread for many years. Used to make many different types, and take them into work for feedback, The absolute favourite was cheese and onion loaf. I dont make it now because i no longer eat bread.

Rye bread is very heavy if made just with Rye flour, so better to mix with some white flour which gives you a lighter loaf.

I had a bread maker for a while, it turned perfectly edible bread, but to me a great part of the pleasure of home made bread was working the dough.

The bread mixes are very good for people that want to give breadmaking a go, as in most you only need to add water, but you cant beat putting your own ingredients together.::bigsmile:

Has any one tried making sourdough?

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Listening to a radio program months back

The recommendation by the invited baker

Use the bread maker to make and raise the dough

Then put it in a convential oven to bake

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Mmmmmmm delicious

Lovely to see you boys are enjoying your time in the kitchen!! So how about adding bread making to the cooking section of the 'theme weekend' planned for later this year :thumb: Are you up for it lads show us ladies/gentlemen how is done :ROFLMAO: :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Our Panasonic will start beeping any minute now around 5:30. The aroma of baking bread has been wafting round the house for about half an our now, it really does get you anticipating breakfast. :Smile:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I am on my 4th Morphy Richards Bread maker and I make all our bread, even have a compact one for the caravan (soon to be MH I hope). I only ever use it to make the dough then cook it in the oven. Has anyone cooked bread in a halogen? thats my next project.

I can understand what PJ is on about with the paddle ripping out the bottom of the loaf thats why I bought my 1lb ally loaf tin. :thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i am always amazed how many bread makers i see at boot sales for less than a tenner,along with sandwich toasters,coffee makers,food processors,we also have the Panasonic bread maker,but we eat so little bread now its consigned to the loft,along with the coffee maker,and sandwich toaster:ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Eddie has been making our bread for a few years now with our Panosonic Bread Maker, we bought it because one day we were exploring some lanes and came across a old working mill run by a old baker and his mum, he took us all around the mill, so we said we would like to make some, he said all his customers used Panosonic so thats how it came about.

Our favorite is Ed's spice fruit loaf, a recipe he has fiddled with until yum yum, tastes delisious and the smell is wonderful. On Sunday we knew the grandchildren were coming so he made one in the morning, just cooled enough when they arrived, by the time they had gone we were left with one crust.

The one thing we have realised it is no good stuck in the back of a cupboard then it never gets used so its kept in its own corner of the kitchen and used regularly.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Eddie has been making our bread for a few years now with our Panosonic Bread Maker, we bought it because one day we were exploring some lanes and came across a old working mill run by a old baker and his mum, he took us all around the mill, so we said we would like to make some, he said all his customers used Panosonic so thats how it came about.

Our favorite is Ed's spice fruit loaf, a recipe he has fiddled with until yum yum, tastes delisious and the smell is wonderful. On Sunday we knew the grandchildren were coming so he made one in the morning, just cooled enough when they arrived, by the time they had gone we were left with one crust.

The one thing we have realised it is no good stuck in the back of a cupboard then it never gets used so its kept in its own corner of the kitchen and used regularly.

We have the panasonic 253 its superb though we've never used the dispenser for making fruit loaves There's one on eBay now going for a song Link Removed

EDIT: Just seen why, it's got a whopping great dent in it
Link Removed

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I am looking for a good second hand pedestal mixer,Kenwood,Kitchen Aid or similar with just a dough hook for making the mixture. Sometimes they van be picked up at boot sales, Kenwood spares,even for the older models are still available.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am looking for a good second hand pedestal mixer,Kenwood,Kitchen Aid or similar with just a dough hook for making the mixture. Sometimes they van be picked up at boot sales, Kenwood spares,even for the older models are still available.

Good luck.. I looked for ages for a decent second hand mixer .. they do seem to hold their price, some are asking silly money for quite old machines.. thought it would be better to buy new and have a warranty..

in the end bought a KithenAid 5KPM5BER, heavy duty .. not cheap.. but what a great machine it is..

The best price I could find was from Link Removed

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Good luck.. I looked for ages for a decent second hand mixer .. they do seem to hold their price, some are asking silly money for quite old machines.. thought it would be better to buy new and have a warranty..

in the end bought a KithenAid 5KPM5BER, heavy duty .. not cheap.. but what a great machine it is..

The best price I could find was from Link Removed

Good Price that
Amazon about £100 DEARER
:thumb:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
ScotJimLand would you be willing to share your recipe please or is it a family secret ?
Eileen

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Your Spiced loaf sounds great Carol,
do you have a recipe.

If I'm right the mill was at Whissendine in Rutland
and Nigel who runs the mill still has mum helping
and I think she's 92 now:winky:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ScotJimLand would you be willing to share your recipe please or is it a family secret ?
Eileen

Hi Eileen

mine are no secret.. I've just used basic bread recipes and tweaked a little.. I use Olive oil in preference to butter ... I buy my bread/pizza flour from Makro in a 16kg bag

The one for bread rolls...

Ingredients

• 1lb 2oz Bread Flour (500gm)
• 2 x sachets Yeast
• 2 x tea spoons Salt
• 2 x table spoons Olive oil
• 300ml tepid Water

Method

*Put all dry ingredients in the mixer, mix using dough hook at a med speed.

*Turn mixer to stir/low speed, add the oil, and gradually add tepid water.

* Mix until the dough clings to the hook

* Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead until dough is stretchy. Fold dough over several times in opposite directions while kneading, about 10 mins

*Place back into an oiled bowl, cover and prove in a warm place for one hour, or until dough has doubled in size..

* Knock back the dough in the bowl, turn out onto floured board and shape into rolls.. I make eight..

* Place on an oiled and floured baking sheet, cover and prove for about 15mins or until they double in size.

* Paint with salted water and dust with flour

Bake for about 15 mins at 230c .. until golden brown

Last edited:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We make our own bread in a very cheap breadmaker from Argos.
Results, for home made bread, are only so-so but still beats any thing from the supermarket.
We do get problems with the risen dough collapsing a bit so will have to try doing the baking process in the oven.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We make our own bread in a very cheap breadmaker from Argos.
Results, for home made bread, are only so-so but still beats any thing from the supermarket.
We do get problems with the risen dough collapsing a bit so will have to try doing the baking process in the oven.

to be frank.. it is so easy to mix either by hand or mixing machine, knead for about 10 minutes by hand, then prove in warm place ... and the results will be so much better

Our Panasonic does a good job.. bung it in and wait 5 hours.. but when you compare with a loaf kneaded by hand there is a marked difference.. it's worth the effort.. and it's actually quicker than making in the machine..

I can have warm bread on the table in under two hours..

The big plus with a machine, if your only making one loaf.. it uses less leccy, and it can also be used in the motorhome..

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi Eileen

mine are no secret.. I've just used basic bread recipes and tweaked a little.. I use Olive oil in preference to butter ... I buy my bread/pizza flour from Makro in a 16kg bag

The one for bread rolls...

Ingredients

• 1lb 2oz Bread Flour (500gm)
• 2 x sachets Yeast
• 2 x tea spoons Salt
• 2 x table spoons Olive oil
• 300ml tepid Water

Method

*Put all dry ingredients in the mixer, mix using dough hook at a med speed.

*Turn mixer to stir/low speed, add the oil, and gradually add tepid water.

* Mix until the dough clings to the hook

* Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead until dough is stretchy. Fold dough over several times in opposite directions while kneading, about 10 mins

*Place back into an oiled bowl, cover and prove in a warm place for one hour, or until dough has doubled in size..

* Knock back the dough in the bowl, turn out onto floured board and shape into rolls.. I make eight..

* Place on an oiled and floured baking sheet, cover and prove for about 15mins or until they double in size.

* Paint with salted water and dust with flour

Bake for about 15 mins at 230c .. until golden brown

watching michell roux
last week he said put the salt
on one side of the bowl
and dried yeast on the other side
it says the same in paul hollywoods book

wouldnt know myself as i never cook with salt

mrs t isnt allowed and i dont like it

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
watching michell roux
on one side of the bowl

Salt is essential in making bread as it limits the action of the yeast and stops it puffing up too much.

It needs to be kept separate before mixing as it kills the yeast.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I chucked our bread maker on the skip about a year ago.

It was about 10 years old and wasnt very good.

Have they improved?

All this talk of freshly baked bread makes me want to get another which in turn plays havoc with my diet:Sad:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
bread maker

Never understood why people use a bread maker, (well apart from throwing in the ingredients and setting a timer).

I have been hand baking bread for as long as I can remember, 10 mins kneading, 40 mins 1st prove, beat air of out dough, 10 mins 2nd prove then carefully place in oven for 25 mins ish.
That`s 1hr 15mins per loaf, I seem to remember the shortest program on a bread maker being 3hr 15 mins and then you have to pull the little mixing paddles out of the bottom of the bread leaving those nice little holes.
Think I`ll stick traditional.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It just comes down to having the time. We both work full time so popping it in a machine makes sense.

Although I suppose I could insist that my wife gets up about 4am to bake my breakfast loaf::bigsmile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Salt is essential in making bread as it limits the action of the yeast and stops it puffing up too much.

It needs to be kept separate before mixing as it kills the yeast.

No it isnt necessary; some people say yes but mine is all made without and it doesnt rise too much
just prove it and knock it back well,

You keep salt away from the yeast because it can kill the yeast before it does its job if not mixed correctly

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
watching michell roux
on one side of the bowl

not sure how you keep them apart when mixing :roflmto:

I mix the dry ingredients then add the oil and water .. seems to work.. :Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
It just comes down to having the time. We both work full time so popping it in a machine makes sense.

[HI]Although I suppose I could insist that my wife gets up about 4am to bake my breakfast loa[/HI]f::bigsmile:

And You wish to wear your breadmaker How ??:ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Your Spiced loaf sounds great Carol,
do you have a recipe.

If I'm right the mill was at Whissendine in Rutland
and Nigel who runs the mill still has mum helping
and I think she's 92 now:winky:

Yes thats the one, there was a adults only site up the road, immaculately kept, rideing around the lanes we found it,

The recepie is the one that comes with the panasonic
just has extra spices and fruit in to suit our taste
some goes in the fruit dispencer but extra goes in the mix.:Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Yes thats the one, there was a adults only site up the road, immaculately kept, rideing around the lanes we found it,

The recepie is the one that comes with the panasonic
just has extra spices and fruit in to suit our taste
some goes in the fruit dispencer but extra goes in the mix.:Smile:

The site at whissendine is still immaculate £17/ night
but booked out solid at weekends.

Sadly never had a panasonic so any ideas welcome as itll be made by hand.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

Although I suppose I could insist that my wife gets up about 4am to bake my breakfast loaf::bigsmile:

Most breadmakers seem to have a timer so you can set it to start while your asleep or at work and have it ready when you are!

Mine's a Morphy Richards Fastbake although I've never had one that does a decent loaf on 'fastbake' mode.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back