Home insurance with 60 nights included (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our home insurance is due on 1 August so we've been looking into it as the premium has gone up over £60 with our current insurer, although they have always worked out cheaper than anyone else for the cover, as we wanted to change it to remove our electric bikes and put on our Bromptons instead hubby got in touch a few days ago and they came back today with a revised premium about £50 more (as expected as we wanted the bikes covered for use abroad). Based on this hubby spoke to one chap this morning to clarify what the exact cover was for the bikes and was told no excess if a claim was made and they were covered worldwide, great!

They sent through the details and I read through the policy docs but no mention at all was made of their being no excess or that the bikes would be covered out of the UK so hubby rang again and was told there was a £100 excess but the bikes would be covered abroad, so pretty much what I expected. He discussed the value of the bikes as they had a 'tick' against the box about us having a sales receipt for them, which obviously we don't have in our name as we bought them privately and asked what would happen IF we had to make a claim .. then the fun really started! The chap checked with his supervisor and was told that there shouldn't be a problem but it would be up to the underwriters (AXA) as to what the payout would be ... er ... no way were we accepting those vague terms, after much discussion hubby said to leave it and we'd look elsewhere ... or rather I would!

Sooo ... as the policy was otherwise a good one I went onto the AXA site and did a quote for a minimum of the same coverage and found it was quite a bit cheaper and had the benefit of 60 days away at one time rather than the 45 days we had originally. I had to ring them to discuss the age of our property as it's 'birthday' isn't known (former paupers' cottage so very few records until the 19th century) and after raking through all our paperwork etc I found details of it's earliest mention back in 1946, even though the original land was transferred to the Church back in 1771, but no mention in between of when our bungalow was built, so I've plumped for 1930-1949 as it's 'official' date period ... can't do much more than that! The total cost was £233 including the worldwide bike cover and only £50 excess!

If anyone is looking for a home insurance policy have a look at AXA's site and see how it pans out for you ... I've gone for the 'middle' policy called Home Sure but choose not to have Legal cover or Home Emergency Cover.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Ours is due soon. We've got 90 days (per an). And no bikes. Mind, we've got another trip first!! And it's bound to be dearer darn sarth.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I had to ring them to discuss the age of our property as it's 'birthday' isn't known (former paupers' cottage so very few records until the 19th century)

Our property is also an old pauper's cottage. It's still in use for it's original purpose of housing the poor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure what their
Ours is due soon. We've got 90 days (per an). And no bikes. Mind, we've got another trip first!! And it's bound to be dearer darn sarth.
Home Safe (highest level) policy covers, the lowest one is 30 days.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back