Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Arrived and paid up front for two weeks( our first mistake) decided after a day that due to the out of season lack of resources we'd move on. Unfortunately the office staff insisted that there is a No refund policy- and basically tough luck!
I could understand if we'd booked a chalet or some such, but not an Rv space amongst endless empty spaces! Manager just insisted 'terms and conditions' mantra, which strictly of course is true! Not interested once they had our money.
Very unhelpful !
Anyone had any similar experiences?
Cheers
David

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
We all learn by our mistakes. I think the intransigence of the site staff is deplorable,but 'rules is rules'-caveat emptor.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think its a bit unfair naming and shaming them on here.

After all, it was you who changed your mind, not them.

If I owned the site I would probably have done the same to be honest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think its a bit unfair naming and shaming them on here.

After all, it was you who changed your mind, not them.

If I owned the site I would probably have done the same to be honest.

Why? If somthing is not fit for purpose you are intitled to your money back surely .:Eeek:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Arrived and paid up front for two weeks( our first mistake) decided after a day that due to the out of season lack of resources we'd move on.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Arrived and paid up front for two weeks( our first mistake) decided after a day that due to the out of season lack of resources we'd move on.

That doesn't mean it wasn't fit for purpose does it?

What "resources" were advertised but not provided?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Most big sites won't give a refund if you leave early.. thats standard terms and conditions..

The staff were only following the rules and procedures. If they or the manager had given a refund they could have been fired or at best made to pay it back ..

While you say the site was quiet, it doesn't change the (refund) rules.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hold on , I might be wrong here, looking at the ops details, it says he lives in burnham on sea, if that is the case surely he knew the site before going :Doh::Eeek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have never been to the site, though many funsters have, ffor basic money you get a basic pitch but there is entertainment most of the year round and thats what a lot go for. They had the oportunity to check what was available before paying. As already said it was only the OP who changed anything so unfair to expect a refund.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Simple mistake on the ops part... ... Others will benefit from the post.
Shame though.. But I have to agree that the site are in the right.

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I'm a little puzzled by some comments. What happened to customer satisfaction?
It's not unreasonable to change ones mind - the site hadn't outplayed any costs - why not just try to please the customer and say make a small charge for admin or whatever!
When our new house is ready in a month or so I shall have completed our two weeks here and moved to another site. I shall advise friends and tekatives not to use home farm because of their intransigence.
Net result - one dissatisfied customer who will probably influence others. Not good business practice in my opinion!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I'm a little puzzled by some comments. What happened to customer satisfaction?
It's not unreasonable to change ones mind - the site hadn't outplayed any costs - why not just try to please the customer and say make a small charge for admin or whatever!
When our new house is ready in a month or so I shall have completed our two weeks here and moved to another site. I shall advise friends and tekatives not to use home farm because of their intransigence.
Net result - one dissatisfied customer who will probably influence others. Not good business practice in my opinion!!

I take it you have never run your own business?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
So because they would not change the rules terms and conditions to suit you that is a good reason to complain on a forum that you and everyone you know will be told not to use them.
Now I know why I never considered working for myself:Doh:

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Chris: yes 15 yrs successful business - great customer feedback
Jhorsef- I'm entitled to my opinion as you are to yours
If you want a site which sticks to it's rules and doesn't give a fig about its customers likes and dislikes, then come here
If no,t go somewhere else
That's my advice- up to the individual if they take it.:thumb:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Arrived and paid up front for two weeks( our first mistake) decided after a day that due to the out of season lack of resources we'd move on. Unfortunately the office staff insisted that there is a No refund policy- and basically tough luck!
I could understand if we'd booked a chalet or some such, but not an Rv space amongst endless empty spaces! Manager just insisted 'terms and conditions' mantra, which strictly of course is true! Not interested once they had our money.
Very unhelpful !
Anyone had any similar experiences?
Cheers
David
What 'resources' are there a lack of that you couldn't have foreseen before you went there?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am sorry if you thought I was having a go , as you say you are entitled to your opinion, I just feel that complaining about the site being empty and quiet in March is not enough reason for a refund.You have not said anything about things in any advertised material being incorrect or unavailable to warrant a refund
I would not go their anyway as its not an adults only site

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Lesson learnt....:Sad:

Out of season and not all amenities available...

If the site is fairly empty,,,, just book and pay.... day by day...:thumb:

We have done it loads of times...

Then when we have seen and done all we want....

Time to move on... :thumb:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
a timely warning for the inexperienced camper :thumb:I do as old mo suggests add extra days if you want to stop. Also I never book in advance and check out site before booking in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume you paid in advance to take advantage of the 10% off the cost for 7+ days.:Blush:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

No sorry , my support for you has gone compleatly now, I have been shot down in other threads for complaining about campsite charges ,I had sympathy for you but if you really live down there and didn't know what was what, well booking for a fortnight was sheer folly but this last post has gone over the top now other people might like the lack of amenities .

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Have used this site many times. very reasonable rates.
free wifi. Use of indoor pool. bar open in the evening. No entertainment at this time of year. Reasonably good showers. Not far into Burnham.
But at this time of year I would turn up on the day and book in for 2 or 3 days at a time

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have used this site many times. very reasonable rates.
free wifi. Use of indoor pool. bar open in the evening. No entertainment at this time of year. Reasonably good showers. Not far into Burnham.
But at this time of year I would turn up on the day and book in for 2 or 3 days at a time

Actually if you look on their entertainment diary there are some events on ... ::bigsmile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have slightly mixed feelings on this one. Firstly I agree with the majority, if the site didn't provide amenities that were advertised then you have every right to be agrieved, if the facilities that were lacking were not advertised then what are you bitching about?

On the other hand we have personal experience of Home Farm Burnham on Sea, albeit 17 years ago. We stayed there (planned for three nights) with a group on our way to tour Devon in August. On our arrival day (Friday) all was going well till our 11 year old son crushed his foot on a piece of play equipment in the childrens play area. Despite the site management's assertions that "this has never happened before" we presented at Weston Super Mare A&E and the very first nurse we encountered took one look at the injury and said "Don't tell me, Home Farm B on Sea, see saw!" She was bang on the money.

Son crushed first meta tarsal, site denied responsibility and offered nothing, not even help to get to hospital. We sued, we won, son got compo but we've never been tempted to go back to that site.

It is entirely possible that it is under new management and that our experience of 17 years ago has no bearing on the site today, I jsut don't want to go back there, too many bad memories.

You pays yer money and makes yer choice!

D.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
contract law applies surely? you enter into a contract to rent a space for your van for a set period at discounted rate, then decide you dont want to stay after being there a while. sorry but customer satisfaction is irrelevant and you are the one in breach of contract so no pro rata refund should be expected

preferably i would chose an empty site, especially this time of year if living in the van. less noise and you get left to just get on with it....perfect

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back