Home EHU Power Requirements (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Hi All,
apologies if this is a daft question but I'm going to ask it anyway.
We are about to renovate our home in Scotland ready for moving back there in the near future.
We do not yet have a motorhome but its on the wish list.
As part of the renovations I want to put a EHU at the side of the house so I can connect the proposed MH (and other external electric stuff) when its there but the architect has asked whether we want 13/16 or 32 amp supply and the connector type.
Help..... what is the recommended power supply.

Cheers
Bill

Last edited:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Normal 16amp supply and wall plug the same as you plug into in mh very simple Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Normal 16amp supply and wall plug the same as you plug into in mh very simple Regards Garry Flatpackchicken
Same as that but socket is a waterproof one .by using standard three pin the outside ehu gives you the opportunity to use any domestic appliance say like a washer other than a dedicated socket for motorhome.

Upvote 0

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
16 amp is what you need, i have this on my garage wall, and can switch off or on via consumer unit in garage, so electric off when i am away.
IMG_0294[155].JPG

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As @Khizzie says.

Waterproof 13A socket that you use for lawnmower, hedge trimmer, power tools, etc and a 13A plug to 16A converter to plug motorhome into.
Something like these -
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p21447
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p47166

You could go the other way round -
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p20698
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p91715
but I wouldn't want to use a "trailing" non-weatherproof 13A socket in case it came on rain.

Oh and ps, we do get a fair amount of that as you'll know!

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I got my Sparky to fit a twin waterproof 13A socket outside in my driveway, taking a fused spur off an internal socket. I can turn off the external power by switching the fused spur off inside the house.
He made me a 10m long 13A plug / van hookup lead and I have a spare plug available for hedge trimmer etc if needed.
:)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If it's a full reno project that's getting rewired then a dedicated 16A circuit feeding a 16A blue socket is the correct way to do it

Taking a 13A spur from an existing circuit is very much a "make do" second choice where getting a dedicated circuit in place is not practical. Personally I would only ever do this as an absolute last resort.

A classic DIY mistake is to assume that 13A and 16A are the same thing. They are always most bemused when they start blowing fuses or worse melting things. :whistle:

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
If it's a full reno project that's getting rewired then a dedicated 16A circuit feeding a 16A blue socket is the correct way to do it

Taking a 13A spur from an existing circuit is very much a "make do" second choice where getting a dedicated circuit in place is not practical. Personally I would only ever do this as an absolute last resort.

A classic DIY mistake is to assume that 13A and 16A are the same thing. They are always most bemused when they start blowing fuses or worse melting things. :whistle:
in my case, it was a make do, as a new 16A circuit was impractical.
I got a qualified electrician to look at our entire house wiring and come up with the most practical solution for us - and the house wiring and fuses can take it - so we are happy with his opinion :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
in my case, it was a make do, as a new 16A circuit was impractical.
I got a qualified electrician to look at our entire house wiring and come up with the most practical solution for us - and the house wiring and fuses can take it - so we are happy with his opinion :)

It's fine if it's the only option you have as long as when you plug the van in to the supply you're aware of the reduced power that you have available and use it accordingly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Thanks all, I've advised that there is to be a waterproof 16amp blue socket thingy added - all I need to add now is a Motorhome :D

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
While youre at it why not go for the twin ............................... just in case ! It shouldnt be that much more expensive

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
A normal 13 amp twin is more than adequate and a feature when you sell the house not a useless socket. The requirement is only to charge the battery not run an electrical shop. Used same for years and never had an issue. You will be able to isolate from within the house or put a small padlock on a lockable box if you think anyone is going to pinch your electricity. You will also find a 10m cable with UK plug usable when out and about, and visiting friends.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I just run the hook up cable under the garage door and plug into a 13a socket that way no one an tamper with it and no worries about waterproofing.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi All,
We are about to renovate our home in Scotland ready for moving back there in the near future.
As part of the renovations I want to put a EHU at the side of the house so I can connect the proposed MH (and other external electric stuff) when its there but the architect has asked whether we want 13/16 or 32 amp supply and the connector type.

Cheers
Bill
Just get the Ring/Radial circuit at 32A, why not if doing a new install
Better to have a higher rated circuit than one that's constantly at FLC

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Hi All,

Cheers
Bill
Hi Bill, hope you are well. Currently I hook up to outside 13a waterproof socket but I have to run cable from drive to back garden. I have a Sparky coming next month to fit twin waterproof 13a at front of house so I can run a short cable. Good luck with renovation but hurry up and get that MoHo (y)

Cheers,

Steve.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Also Bill, best to ask the question rather than guessing wrong (y)

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My sparky Brother in law fitted an external 13 amp socket to the location where motorhome lives. This gives the best of both worlds, it means that all garden appliances can be used from this socket (lawn mowers etc) and I can plug in the motorhome when required (using a pig tail adaptor). I have only 'popped' the breaker once, when I was cleaning the carpets in the van with the Vax. I forgot that the water heater was on, and I had the heating on the 2KW setting! I was not popular :-(

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back