Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi there, just joined.

Unfortunately got a problem with my vans batteries charging. Just recently purchased a Lunar Home-Car A58. After starting the engine the charge (alternator) light comes on after 30 secs to a minute. The battery is not charging, only 11.2V now.
Also on EHU the leisure battery is not charging via the Calira charger unit. Strange both are not working. The Home-Car book (photocopied manual) says cut off relay defective, but does not tell me what or where that is. Anyone got any ideas or clues as both my batteries are heading south, thanks.

Callum

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone got any ideas or clues as both my batteries are heading south, thanks.

Callum

Don't know your vehicle and more information might help, what chassis, what year ?

But damage limitation. If you've not got a decent charger get one ( Aldi £13 ) and get charging before the batteries are ruined.

One charger, you'll have to charge each separately.

Have you checked the alternator belt ?

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi are you sure that there aren't any fuses in the charging circuits that have blown?

There was a thread about the calira charger in a Knaus last year it may shed some light on your problem

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.
Its a Lunar Home-car A581 on a peugeot boxer mwb 335, 2,2 hdi. 2009..
The alternator belt seems fine but the cab battery shows no charge (checked with a multi meter) when the engine is running. I can charge both batts up with a seperate charger, but if I drive all the electrics, fan, wipers, lights etc are draining the cab battery so I can't really go very far. Just strange both are not charging. I just wondered if there was a "common" problem that I'm just not aware of.

The 240 is working ok but the Calira charging unit is silent when on EHU, no charge to the leisure battery either.....

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have checked all the fuses I can find on and around the charger,they all are ok, It's strange the Calira unit does not seem to have an On-Off switch. Could a fault on this unit stop the cab battery from charging from the engine alternator.
I'm just trying to find if both modes off charging not working are connected.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I would investigate each fault in turn before confusing yourself!
Firstly disconnect and insulate your leisure battery connections then check your to see if your alternator light comes on again.
If so, have your alternator and its circuits checked out and get that fixed before you move on to your habitation charging system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Get some charge in both batteries from another source.

if you have a Lidl near you they have these on offer but selling fast.

Link Removed

You can leave these on all the time when van not in use.:winky:

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks everyone for your help......

I've tried to look at each fault in isolation. I read that the Calira charger also will charge the cab battery as well as the habitation battery when on EHU. Just so many wires going back and forth under the floor its hard to know which runs where..

I will try and get the alternator checked out first, at least if that working I'm getting somewhere. The Calira could be another problem but i could use a stand alone charger for that in the time being.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
What model is the charging unit? Can you measure if there is an output direct on the unit terminals.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
If both batteries are plugged into the hab charging unit try disconnecting the engine battery from there and then start the engine and see if the alternator light stays off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back